NV NV - Jody Miller, 13, Las Vegas, 21 Jun 1971

SLY

Former Member
Reaction score
Jody Miller was a girl I went to school with at Garside Junior High in Las Vegas, NV 35 years ago. Her murder has never been solved.

At her funeral the song "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was played. I can't help but be reminded & haunted of her murder when I hear that song.

Last week I heard that song again & got a hold of a retired detective who is working part time on cold cases. Kevin Manning agreed to put her case on the Cold Case Corner Blog and go through the micro film and whatever else they might have. I told him I would upload it on every board I know of. Today she was added to the list. There is a picture of her at the link.

PLEASE, if anyones knows anything please call him at 702-229-COLD.
PLEASE, she was only 13 years old.

Sly

Last case on the link below:

Case #: 71-12531
Victim: Jody Marie Miller
Suspect: Uknown
Location: 150' northwest of the corner of Jones and Lone Mountain Blvd. in shallow grave in desert area.
Date: Body discovered on 11-2-1971

Synopsis:
Jody Marie Miller crawled through the bedroom window of her house on 6-21-71. She was reported as a missing juvenile and last seen by a female friend on 6-23-71. On 11-2-71 her remains were discovered wrapped in a red blanket, secured by three ropes, lying in a shallow grave in the desert area approximately 150' nw of Jones and Lone Mountain. Jody was 13 yrs. old at the time of her disappearance.

Anyone with information is urged call LV Metro Homicide Cold Case Detail at 702-229-COLD.

http://www.lvmpd.com/bureaus/homicide_coldcases.html

This case was just added to the LV cold Case Corner same link as in post above. Her picture is also on link & is now the story before Jody Miller's.

Ret. Hom. Det. Kevin Manning thinks they may have been killed by the same killer. She disappeared just 10 days before Jody Miller and was just a year older. Also found close to the same location as Jody Miller.

Case #:71-11701
Victim: Susan Rae Perron
Suspect: Unknown
Location: Desert area approximately 5 miles west of U.S. U.S. Highway 95 off of Lone Mountain Road
Date: Victim discovered on April 16, 1973

Synopsis:
On June 13, 1971 Susan Rae Perron (WFJ 14 yrs.) left her home to walk to Lorenzi Park to go swimming. It was not determined if she ever arrived at her destination. On April 16, 1973 the remains of a human skeleton was found in the desert area approximately 5 miles west of U.S. 95 Highway off of Lone Mountain Road. Through dental records it was determined that the skeletal remains were those of Susan Rae Perron. Cause of death was determined to be blunt trauma to the head.

Anyone with information is urged call LV Metro Homicide Cold Case Detail at 702-229-COLD.

Sly

In part it reads:

"I don't know how to express my appreciation for all of your efforts,blood, sweat, and tears for so many, many years. I was told of the many efforts you have made to see that she has not been forgotten and to bring it to the attention of the public.

I have been the only one (I thought) to try to get something done, and every trail was a dead-end. And then, my husband died,

And all that time you were out there fighting for my daughter, and I had no knowledge of it until now. Your gift to me has been, an is, priceless."

Mrs. Miller is not in very good health. I would so like to find her daughter's killer before she joins her husband.

Also, Manning added another case to the cold case blog that again maybe is connected. But it is 7 years later.

Case #: 78-27590
Victim: Vickie Lynn Brekke
Suspect: Unknown
Location: East Lake Mead Blvd. approximately 6 miles east of Mt. Hood in the desert area.
Date: 5-8-1978

Synopsis:
On 5-7-1978 Vickie Lynn Brekke departed from her home at 3612 Braddock Street, North Las Vegas, NV to walk to a friend's house. She had called her friend and was to arrive around 5:30 pm. however she never arrived. On 5-8-78 her body was discovered in the desert area to the east of Sunrise Mountain. The autopsy revealed that Vickie had died as a result of strangulation. Vickie was a 15 yr. old WFJ.

http://www.lvmpd.com/bureaus/homicide_coldcases.html

Sly

Looks like Las Vegas had a serial killer during the 70's & early 80's.

Since Jody case was finally added to the LV cold case blog, now others have been added.

All young females found out in the desert. Strange how living there at the time, we did not know.

Sly

Sly -
I think it's awesome that you began this thread for a girl you went to school with. There are so many people who think "I wonder what happened to..." and never try and find out. I wish things like this didn't happen, but I'm glad that there are people like you when it does. :blowkiss:

Don't give up! Since the police have (hopefully) connected the dots that they may have had a serial killer, maybe they'll find some evidence that will bring them to a suspect. Then we'll sleuth the heck out of them ;)

Thank you Hoping,
I can't never forget about Jody as long as that song is still played.
Dang, even my Son, who was born years later, thinks the murdered girl who went to school with his Mom when he hears it.

I am learning that there were a lot more murders in Las Vegas than we were ever lead to believe back than & probable still.

In a city that thrives off of the dreams of striking it rich tourist, they can't have them knowing the real truth.
Gosh, anyone when a Mercury thermometer knows they lie about how HOT is really is there. I knew that back as a child in the 60's. But after 105 it really feels pretty much the same as 118.

Sly

Well, at least one Las Vegas cold case has been solved... wish it was Jody's case but still glad for this one.

From the RJ:
On June 3, 1985, police discovered the body of 23-year-old Beth Lynn Jardine, bludgeoned with a claw hammer and raped in her northeast Las Vegas apartment.

Within two weeks, police arrested the man they believed was the killer.
They were wrong.

Now, nearly 22 years after the crime, police say they finally got the right guy: Charles Reese Conner, 58, is sitting in a jail cell in Arkansas charged with Jardine's slaying.

Snip

On March 2, Manning got a call from the forensic lab saying that the DNA sample taken from Jardine's body matched Conner's DNA, which was obtained by authorities in Arkansas after he was convicted for the 1994 rape and burglary.

Police were then able to match Conner's fingerprints to those found on Jardine's bedsheet, Manning said.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2007/Mar-23-Fri-2007/news/13351089.html

Hope Manning is still looking into Jody's murder.

Sly

Here is another one in found in 76, but from what I have found out so far, she was MUCH younger than the rest of the girls.
http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase662.html

Unidentified White Female
  • The victim was discovered on September 11, 1976 in Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada
  • Cause of Death: Homicide
  • State of Remains: Incomplete skeletal

Vital Statistics
  • Clothing: Red shirt; maroon pants; black belt.
  • Fingerprints: Not Available
  • Dentals: Not Available

Case History
Hikers found a small arm sticking out of shallow grave in open desert area about 600 yards east of 25th Street, just north of Lone Mountain Road on September 11, 1976. File does not have any descriptors.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
The Office of the Clark County Coroner
702-455-6649
Email
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
Agency Case Number:
76-0801
NCIC Number:
Not Available
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Source Information:
Clark County Coroner
Unidentified Deceased Reporting System

Thank you so much for adding to this (shoot... I'm in tears).

I do not see the age of this victim but it is the same area where the others were found!!!

Las Vegas had a serial killer of young girls happening than and we who lived there were not even aware of it. Las Vegas has always lied about their crimes because it survives off tourist. And now decades later all this is coming out!

I wish I could hug you for adding to this.

Sly

Sly, after looking at the unidentified, as well as the unsolved list, there is no doubt in my mind there was a serial killer who targeted young white (brunette) girls. It seemed to start in 1971 and stopped in 1980. (A few where found after 1980, but seemed to have been there for a while). It seems your friend Jody and then Susan where murdered withing a few weeks of each other but discovered a couple years apart. Was there a lot of media coverage when Jody was found? Could some of the others be copy-cat killings I wonder, or did the same SOB murder all of these girls. (?) What do you think?

I wonder if the following case might be related to those mentioned in your thread...

-------------------------------------
Sandra Kaye Butler, 16, Missing since June 26, 1978 from Sparks, NV

Sandra Kaye Butler
Missing since June 26, 1978 from Sparks, Washoe County, Nevada.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: March 27, 1962
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0; 110 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; brown eyes.
Nicknames: Sandy
Dentals/DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Butler was last seen in Sparks, Nevada on June 26, 1978. She was walking to a store located across the street from her family's home at the time of her disappearance.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Sparks Police Department 775-353-2231

Agency Case Number: 78-5476
NCMEC #: NCMC765685
NCIC Number: M-134699563
Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
CA DOJ
The Doe Network: Case File 951DFNV

LINK:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Sly, after looking at the unidentified, as well as the unsolved list, there is no doubt in my mind there was a serial killer who targeted young white (brunette) girls. It seemed to start in 1971 and stopped in 1980. (A few where found after 1980, but seemed to have been there for a while). It seems your friend Jody and then Susan where murdered withing a few weeks of each other but discovered a couple years apart. Was there a lot of media coverage when Jody was found? Could some of the others be copy-cat killings I wonder, or did the same SOB murder all of these girls. (?) What do you think?

No, there was very little coverage on Jody Miller in the paper and nothing on the TV news that I can remember, we only had 4 channels than no cable TV I heard until 1989 because they thought it would hurt the gaming. I remember a little snippet in the Review Journal about how a dog had brought one of her bones home to it's master. Than both the RJ & LV Sun had her obituary in it. That was it.

Las Vegas was very, very different than to what it is today. It had about 100,000 population which to me is a big city... but Las Vegas Valley is very, very big, covering 600 square miles and it was very spread out back then.

Where these bodies were found was mostly desert with only a few houses spread far away from each other.

I use to drive the dune buggy to my father's welding shop about 15 miles back than and IIRC only had to cross 2 paved roads Sahara & Charleston

This gives me chills as I could have easily been one of these victims. Jody sneaked out that night, she had a Mother that cared. When I lived there my birth mother didn't.

I think I mentioned this in my opening post... that even with her heart broke, in all her sadness & misery, Mrs Miller at the funeral warned us. I remember wishing I had a mother who cared.

To your last question, no, I don't think it was a copy cat. I think it was the same SOB.

Thank you so much for adding to this.

Sly

Yes, it could very well be the same killer.

Where these bodies have been found is right off HWY 95 as is Reno/Sparks area.

Thank you so much for looking into this case!

Sly

I started a myspace for Jody last year: myspace.com/jody_miller_murdered
In hopes maybe her killer was one of those who likes to remember his victims.

If any of you that are helping to search want to be added as her friend and even add information there it would be great.

Thank you everyone who has looked into to this. I know many of you have even if you could not help at least you looked.

Sincerely,
Sly

Bumping this case and those others mentioned in the thread up.

Hi everyone! I'm new to websleuths but have been investigating cases like Jody's and Susan's, among others. I've combed through old newspapers on microfilm, maps, etc trying to compile as much information as I can on cases like Jody's. Her case interests me in particular because it appears to be the beginning of what could be serial murders in LV/Reno back then, as has been mentioned on WS before.

Anyway, as I said I'm new here but I want to help. I live in LV currently and have access to all libraries and have maps, cross-reference directories, and newspaper articles from the 70's-80's. I have compiled a lot of information but can see the deadend up ahead... I contacted LE myself and got the door slammed in my face, lol. Like I said I'm new so perhaps such a bold approach wasn't a good idea. I've made flyers that I plan on printing out and distributing across the city in case anyone remembers anything. My hope is that they might trigger someone's memory and we can get some new leads on these cases. There are way too many of these poor girls... I didn't even know them but I've cried for them many times.

Let's dust off these cases and get them some exposure. Someone HAS to know something!

Jody Miller: Las Vegas Unsolved Homicide

13 yr. old, Jody Miller was a student at Garside Junior High in Las Vegas, NV when she went missing. It is believed that she crawled through the bedroom window of her house on June 21, 1971. She was reported as a missing juvenile. A female friend last saw Jody on June 23, 1971. Five months later, on November 2, 1971 her remains were discovered wrapped in a blanket, lying in a shallow grave in the desert area approx. 150' North West of Jones and Lone Mountain Blvd.

What happened to Jody was not what she had in mind when she crawled through her window that night. Maybe she had problems she couldn’t deal with. Are the words to the song below how she was feeling? Maybe, but we don't know. What we do know is SOMEONE knows who killed Jody and we need them to come forward.

Did you know Jody back in 1971? Did she talk to you about anything that seemed unimportant to you then, but might have some significance now? Did she talk about going to meet someone? Did she talk about having someone special in her life? Is there anyone out there who remembers something?

Anyone with information is urged to call Las Vegas Metro Homicide Cold Case Detail at 702-229-COLD
Case# 71-12531

LINK:

The Baker Street Connection: Jody Miller: Las Vegas Unsolved Homicide

Hello, I have been haunted by the cold case of Jodi Marie Miller---for 50 years. At 10 years old, my pet dog brought home her foot to our backyard. I was sad to think what it would be like to lose my life in 4 more years...at age 14! How could this happen. I was shocked that someone would do this to a young person.

I am wondering if any DNA evidence could be obtained from the ropes
used to bind Jodi Marie Miller's body in the red blanket? Susan and Jodi were probably picked up just minutes away from each other and dumped on the same road near where I live--Lone Mountain. My childhood home was on the corner of Torrey Pines and Lone Mountain. Yes, I lot of empty desert back then. Easy for a serial killer to discard a body of a victim. Was there someone in the area where they lived who lived nearby (Garside Jr. High and Lorenzi Park)... and had a history of brushes with the law---attempted rape, arson, traffic violations, burglary? What favorite items were taken from the victims as tokens---jewelry, a purse, a hair clip, clothing?

What street did Susan walk on to head to Lorenzi Park? I remember swimming in Lorenze--beautiful pool but the parking lot gave me the creeps. My Mom would drop off us (cousin and siblings) to swim. Always a bunch of guys in cars just hanging out in the shade...looking. Susan was just trying to escape the heat. Did someone offer her a ride or try to give her something. Grabbed in parking lot? Jodi, may have been returning home. Did the killer offer a ride? Hitch hiking was acceptable in the 1970's. Were there other young lives ended and dumped on Lone Mountain? How many died---3 or more in that area or other places?

I remember waiting at the bus stop and the youngest in our group was approached by a man in a pickup truck who was trying to get her to talk with him. We became protective of her. No, stay away from him, Debbie. We do not know him. Stay nearby us so he cannot get you. Once our bus broke down on the freeway. I was about 8 years old at the time...and everyone just started leaving the bus...so I did. I began walking on Tonapah Highway when this man pulls over and orders me to get into the car. No, I said...but he just kept following me and ordering me. Little girl, your Parents will be so angry when they know you are walking home. I finally turned around and walked in the other direction, and he drove off staring in his rearview mirror. Dodged a killer or just a helpful person...I do not know but true story. Crazy times. The 70's were not protective towards children...even if Parents loved me...mostly.

I wish there was more coverage of this evil crime. I almost think the victims were forgotten because people think their mistakes explain what happened. Left her home through a window to join her friends and hang out....and then murdered at 14 years old. Got too close to someone in a parking lot and shoved in a car...Oh, that explains it...Not. If every mistake I made at that age ended in murder...I would have died too. Just a cascade of events...walking in the same area that a killer traveled...a criminal who did not care what hurt and death were left behind. Just a few strands of DNA...May be Justin Woo will help like he helped solve the case of Kim Bryant who I went to School with. Another murder victim who was kidnapped, raped, and killed in broad daylight from one of the busiest streets in Las Vegas....Decatur. Solving these cases tells the word that they matter. Their lives mattered, and they are not forgotten!

I am a practicing Psychic Medium, residing in the Las Vegas area. Approximately five years ago, I was contacted by a young lady with light hair who let me know that her name was, Jodi, and proceeded to give me details of her circumstance and very descriptive images of her untimely passing & area of burial, without any address. Thus, I did not make a connection until something, one day led me to the unsolved crimes website where this young lady’s case was presented, under specific decade. I then read that while I had the connection with her, the site where she was located was roughly in my backyard, only a few decades earlier. I was dumbfounded. I have since moved from the area but still occasionally connect with Jodi.
She has told me that her killer was someone whom she had encountered before and was not a complete stranger, but the person has since passed away. She also has expressed deep regret for fleeing from her window. The person responsible, had something to do with concrete.
If it would be of any help to anyone, please know this girl is absolutely fine now.
I have been wondering for a year if I should put this information out there but realized that I needed to. Peace to all involved in this tragedy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back