World Record Shark Caught off Florida

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Fishing Capt. Bucky Dennis has been trying to catch a record hammerhead shark for 10 years. He may have finally succeeded.

On Tuesday, he reeled in a monstrous 1,280-pounder that ate a 25-pound stingray for bait at Boca Grande Pass near Fort Myers. That would beat by nearly 300 pounds the current all-tackle world record for a hammerhead shark.

Dennis, who was using 130-pound test line, and three friends fought the 14 1/2 foot shark for five hours and it dragged his boat about 12 miles offshore before they got it aboard.

"It's fun hooking them, but if you get too close, they will bite," Dennis said. "And whatever they bite, they will bite off."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060525/ap_on_re_us/hammerhead_record&printer=1

I'll never understand the concept. See something majestic animal that's not bothering you and kill it for sport. :doh: :doh: :doh:

I can't believe it either Jeana!! We cry and moan about shark attacks and then we turn around and hunt them down and hang them as trophies. :rolleyes:

Jeana (DP) said:
I'll never understand the concept. See something majestic animal that's not bothering you and kill it for sport. :doh: :doh: :doh:

You took the words right out of my mouth, Jeana.

We just saw this sad story on the 6 pm news and that was my same reaction.

The local TV news had the hammerhead's weight at 1240 pounds. To my way of thinking - that big guy should still be out swimming and enjoying the life he was given. NOT hung in someone's gameroom as a trophy ... :(

13th Juror

Hammer heads are not man eaters either.

But hey he broke a record.. right??:furious:

I feel the way you all feel. This is just sickening. :furious:

I don't even think people eat Hammerhead shark.

I would have less of a problem if the hunt was for food.

I am glad to see I am not the only one with such sentiments. I can't imagine killing such an amazing creature -- just to say you caught the biggest one?! It must be a "man thing"....

Amraann said:
Hammer heads are not man eaters either.

But hey he broke a record.. right??:furious:
Actually, they are considered man-eaters. But it's too bad they get fished, especially one so large. They aren't a regular menace, by any means.

Gators to the Right,

And I'm the Only Bait in Town!

LOL - once again, my neck of the Swamp makes the news in yet another controversal calamity. These hammerheads are nothing new, Old Hitler has been around since I was a little girl and has minded it's own business while turning into a legendary co-swimmer.

The only time that shark attacks have been a concern on this side of the Coast was the last two years before the Hurricanes let loose, so for that reason alone, I'll stick to dry land and the gators this summer!

We sent a reporter out to cover this and according to our story, the shark will be donated to Mote Marine Lab.

I felt sorry for the shark, too, though. I never think about them when I'm at the beach, really.

My father has lived on Sanibel Island (just south of Fort Meyers) for the past 18 years. He is a Boat Captan who has run a Dolphin Watch charter for almost that long. I am shark phobic yet, oddly fascinated with stories about sharks. He has been telling me stories for years about a legendary Hammerhead that the locals call Hitler.

The stories run the rounds in the Marina bars about siting Hitler all over the Gulf Coast. Most stories center around Hitler showing up at fishing tournements and eating the large fish that were being caught. The shark was so large that the smaller fishing boats had to scatter because Hitler was so large that he could smash them. I say "was" because it is believed that Hitler was the shark caught.

I spoke to him this evening and he said that the death of this hammerhead has caused a bit of an uproar in the boating community. Though Hitler was a non-welcome addition to fishing tourneys he was also a legend.

If this is the case (and as phobic as I am) RIP Hitler.

The likely world-record hammerhead shark caught in May weighed 1,280 pounds because it was pregnant with 55 pups — the most scientists have ever seen.

Scientists at Mote Marine Laboratory, where the shark was taken for a necropsy, said Thursday that 52 were nearly full-term and just a few days from birth. The shark was estimated to be between 40 and 50 years old.

Scientists previously believed that hammerhead sharks gave birth to 20 to 40 pups at a time.

"Although we are thankful that the fisherman gave this unique specimen to Mote, and we are learning a lot about this species from this large female shark, we were saddened to see so many unborn pups inside her so close to birth," said Dr. Robert Hueter, director of Mote's Center for Shark Research.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060630/ap_on_sc/hammerhead_record&printer=1

Dark Knight said:
The likely world-record hammerhead shark caught in May weighed 1,280 pounds because it was pregnant with 55 pups — the most scientists have ever seen.

Scientists at Mote Marine Laboratory, where the shark was taken for a necropsy, said Thursday that 52 were nearly full-term and just a few days from birth. The shark was estimated to be between 40 and 50 years old.

Scientists previously believed that hammerhead sharks gave birth to 20 to 40 pups at a time.

"Although we are thankful that the fisherman gave this unique specimen to Mote, and we are learning a lot about this species from this large female shark, we were saddened to see so many unborn pups inside her so close to birth," said Dr. Robert Hueter, director of Mote's Center for Shark Research.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060630/ap_on_sc/hammerhead_record&printer=1

Oh good grief!

That is kinda sad, she was going to be a Mum and she never got the chance :(

But I'm not all about saving sharks, I'm not about killing them either, we should just let them be.

They are not the same as dolphins and whales who have the same soul enegry as us.

How funny Narlacat, as if she was 40 - 50 years old I bet she had had many litters of pups.

Amazing isn't it, to carry that many babies at once. They are mammels, right? I hope all those babies just kind of fell asleep when they died.

Scandi

hehehe

Yeah after I posted that, I thought....she was probably already a Mum LOL

Scandi whilst I have you here, I asked you a question over at the JBR board which I think you missed, what friend of Burkes LOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74
Back