Low income = higher stress

ljwf22

Reality continues to ruin my life.
Reaction score
"Lower Income May Mean Higher Stress

FRIDAY, May 26 (HealthDay News) -- Poorer Americans also tend to be more stressed out, a new study shows.

Researchers measured levels of three stress hormones -- epinephrine, norepinephrine and cortisol -- in 193 adults with annual incomes ranging from $2,500 to $162,500. The average income among the study participants was $17,500, with the average time spent in education pegged at just under 14 years.

Lower socioeconomic status was associated with higher levels of all three stress hormones, the researchers report in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine. This association was independent of race, age, sex or level of overweight or obesity."

Duh!
They needed a study for this? I hope tax dollars were not involved. Link:http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...0060526/hl_hsn/lowerincomemaymeanhigherstress

What adult would have an income of $2,500? A kid with a paper route can make more than that?

Jeana (DP) said:
What adult would have an income of $2,500? A kid with a paper route can make more than that?
I know! That's about $52 per week. One paper I get doesn't even use kids anymore - they mail the paper! I also noticed the study was of 193 adults - not a big number by any stretch.

Hitting Brick Walls With Bare Fist = Hurty Hand

film at 11!!!

wish i could get a grant to study this LOL

Of course lower income means more stress, it wouldn't take a genius to work that out! like ljwf22 points out.
I am on a low income and I am always stressed out :p

I've always heard money can't buy happiness...but now they tell me that doing without it can cause heart attacks, nervous breakdowns, etc... Wonder if money is tied to high crime in poverty areas? Maybe they need to do a study...

cathieq said:
I've always heard money can't buy happiness...but now they tell me that doing without it can cause heart attacks, nervous breakdowns, etc... Wonder if money is tied to high crime in poverty areas? Maybe they need to do a study...

I thought there had already been studies about this? I know one I read said when unemployment rises so does crime especially robberies and burglaries.

But what does it say about the truly highly educated ...money is also a key factor in crime as we see corporation after corporation bilking people out of millions. :waitasec: and dont even seemed to be stressed by doing it.

I would think wondering if you were going to have enough money to pay your bills and to keep your family fed, clothed and sheltered would cause tremendous stress.

IMO

Ocean

I'm gonna try for some grant money to prove that teenagers = stress.
The more children you have in your home who are in their teen years at the same time the more stress you have. Strange but true!! and I intend to prove it if I could just get my hands on a couple million in grant money to prove it.

I suppose I'm spoiled by our Provinces success in that the median income in our area is over $88,000.00

If you all come to Alberta, Canada - the Donut shops here are advertising over $14.00/hour. McDonalds has closed their doors many times due to NO staff. Offering over $11.00 to start is insane around here and there's no end in site. ALL AMERICANS WELCOME

News Bulletin...... This just in...... The Sky Is Blue...................Stay tuned for any new developements.

Blueclouds ..
That doesn't seem like very much considering Canada is a lot more expensive then the US.
If I recall a pack of cigarettes is like 7$ there.

Its the same in the keys as far as working goes ... McDonalds pays like 12-14 per hour for starting out pay.
The people who take those jobs typically are teenagers or commute from Florida City. The cost of living far exceeds that here.

Jeana, I would assume that those making only 2500 per year are on disability or possibly became ill without a back up plan.

When my MIL got sick she recieved disability.... Having rarely worked it amounted to about 7800 per year.
Of course she did not live by herself as she could not afford to.
I have to guess that the same applies to most that fall under that catogory of pay (or lack thereof)

News Bulletin...... This just in...... The Sky Is Blue...................
Not so fast there, Montana! I think I'll apply for a little grant money to run that hypothesis thru the mixer! I feel less stressed just thinking about all the money coming my way!

:laugh:
HeartofTexas said:
Not so fast there, Montana! I think I'll apply for a little grant money to run that hypothesis thru the mixer! I feel less stressed just thinking about all the money coming my way!

LOLOL!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho