Richard

Reaction score
Edward Sirio Consuegra
Missing since December 3, 1992 from Montgomery, Alabama
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: February 14, 1956
Age at Time of Disappearance: 36 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'9"; 170 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: 3.5 cm scar on chin. Contact lenses.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Ed Consuegra was last seen at his Montgomery, AL apartment on December 3, 1992.

He hailed from a close knit family and had been in the military for 15 years. He had been a contracting officer for nearly 11 months at the Gunter Annex of Maxwell AFB, AL when he told family members that he had come across a $44 million discrepancy in one of the contracts he was processing.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Montgomery Police Department 205-241-2844

Source Information
Montgomery Police Department
Mamma
doenetwork.org case file 1984DMAL

Link::
http://www.doenetwork.org/

Having searched for more information on this case, I have found very little. I did read that Consuegra was listed as a deserter by the Air Force and that after his disappearance, he was promoted to Major. This seems a little strange to me. Does anyone know how to find any more info. on this case?

Whittcon said:
Having searched for more information on this case, I have found very little. I did read that Consuegra was listed as a deserter by the Air Force and that after his disappearance, he was promoted to Major. This seems a little strange to me. Does anyone know how to find any more info. on this case?
The information that I origionally posted came directly from the Doenetwork website, which is included as a link in my post. I strongly suspect that it was given to Doenetwork by Edward Consuegra's family or close friends and NOT by the Air Force.

It is standard practice in all branches of the military to initially declare a missing service member to by AWOL (absent without official leave) or UA (unauthorized absence). After being missing for 6o days with no further information or without turning up, he/she is declared a "Deserter" and all records are sent to the Archive of Military Personnel Records in St. Louis, MO.

The person is declared a Deserter as an administrative measure, not as a punishment awarded by a Court Martial. However, it means that his family cannot collect any Serviceman's Group Life Insurance money, any pay or allowances, or any benefits which would be due if the person was known to be dead.

It is likely that Captain Consuegra had already been selected for promotion to Major prior to his disappearance, and that he was promoted during his absense, but before being declared a deserter. When military personnel are in a Missing Status, such as MIA, they receive all promotions and pay raises, as if they were living, until such time as they are declared dead. In this case, that would have stopped at the point where he was declared a deserter.

Who has the information about him? That would be the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Deserter Section, located at Bolling AFB, Washington, DC. If you are family, they might speak with you, but might not release much information since they can always say that it is an "ongoing investigation"

Kind of a Catch 22 situation. They aren't really looking for him, but can say that they are. There are many similar cases. Look at the thread for David Michael Loew in this forum.

Thanks for that information. I am not family, but I do know some of them. I was just curious about his case and was looking for more info. One article I read said he was last seen at his girlfriend's apartment. He was supposedly married at the time of his disappearance. Another said he was last seen at his apartment. So, according to what you said, his family did not receive any of his monies after he was listed as a deserter. Thanks for the other link. I will read it, too.

I wonder if he was responsible for the $44 million discrepancy and decided to make a speedy exit and become anonymous? It would seem that if someone was responsible for the missing money, someone would have uncovered something.

LisainWV said:
I wonder if he was responsible for the $44 million discrepancy and decided to make a speedy exit and become anonymous? It would seem that if someone was responsible for the missing money, someone would have uncovered something.
I doubt very much that he would have stolen $44 Million, and then report it as missing! My feeling is that he was probably a Contracting Officer's Technical Representative (COTR) who took over the monitoring of a defense contract, and who decided to look at all past status reports and billing statements.

A COTR is not usually in a position to actually handle money. His job is to oversee a project to make sure that the work contracted for is done properly. He would look at what is being done, and compare the number of man-hours billed by the contractor, then sign the request for billing if it seems reasonable and correct. That document is then sent to a "comptroller" or someone who authorizes checks to be made out to the contractor. These checks or payments do not go through the COTR's hands.

Had Capt Consuegra absconded with a lot of money, it is likely that he would have turned up by now. I feel that it is more likely that he may have been "disappeared" by the actual person or persons who got the money illegally.

LisainWV said:
OTOH if someone else was responsible for the discrepancy they could have made him "vanish" instead of risking him blowing the whistle on it. $44 million is a lot of money in play-if someone was doing something illegeal I imagine they'd very much want to keep it hidden.

Has anyone heard anything lately about Capt/Maj Consuegra? I know the Montgomery, Alabama newspaper recently had an article about him that basically said no one knew anything. What about his family: wife, children, brothers, sisters, parents? Has anyone heard or seen comments from any of them and what are their whereabouts?

Boiledpeanut said:
Has anyone heard anything lately about Capt/Maj Consuegra? I know the Montgomery, Alabama newspaper recently had an article about him that basically said no one knew anything. What about his family: wife, children, brothers, sisters, parents? Has anyone heard or seen comments from any of them and what are their whereabouts?
Here is an updated link to the Doenetwork case file on Major Consuegra:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1984dmal.html

-----------------------------------------------------
Here is another website's write-up and link:

MAJOR EDWARD CONSUEGRA, USAF (Disappeared: Dec. 3, 1992)
Ed Consuegra hailed from a close knit family and had been in the military for 15 years. He had been a contracting officer for nearly 11 months at the Gunter Annex of Maxwell AFB, AL when told family members that he had come across a $44 MILLION discrepancy in one of the contracts he was processing. On Dec. 3, 1992, Ed just disappeared. Strangely, though the military listed him as a deserter, they promoted him after his disappearance.

Following Ed's disappearance, the deaths of three of his coworkers promted the military to close down the Gunter Annex.

If you have any questions or comments on this case, please contact MAMMA and we will make every effort to put you in contact with Ed's family.

Source:
MAMMA - M+others Aligned for Military & Murder Accountability

LINK:
http://www.geocities.com/gold_star_mother/honorrollp5.html

Thanks Richard. I have already looked at those sites plus read several newspaper articles. But nothing on his wife or children. Does anyone know where they live or has anyone heard from them?

I have been recently contacted by someone saying they are family. If you are family and wish to contact me again, please do so thru this website. I likely have info that you might find interesting; however, I need to have a clue as to your relation to Capt. Consuegra.

I am Ed Consuegra's brother. My sister and I have been recently contacted by the Office of Special Investigation from Maxwell AFB in Montgomery. They say they are working with the Montgomery Police Dept who is working with the state regarding a body (basically bones) of a military man. I am thinking they are covering all bases because they want me to supply them with a DNA. Supposedly the body was found in the Coastal area of Alabama. I will get more information within this week. If anyone has info please reply.

Thanks
Gil Consuegra

The bones of a person where found around Dauphin Island located in Mobile Bay. Does anyone have any new information?????

This December 3rd will mark the 15 year anniversary of De Consuegra's disappearance. Has there been any new information regarding this case? And does anyone have information regarding LE attempting to identify the body of a man found in Alabama?

Bumping for Edward Consuegra....anything ever happen with the bones that were found?

I understand that his wife Sharon later committed bigamy by marrying a man without being divorced from ED. An "annullment based on fraud" was granted to the poor man she married, after 10 years of purported marriage (Dallas County, Alabama Circuit Court documents will confirm this). She was also convicted in 2008 or 2009 (also in Dallas County, Alabama Circuit Court) of stealing $44,000 from the local Chamber of Commerce (where she was office administrator) and sentenced to 10 or 12 years of jail but got probation. Much local speculation that she was involved in Captain's disappearance.

Does anyone have any updates on Capt. Consuegra? It's been over 20 years since he disappeared. His wife is believed to be living in the Auburn, AL area. She is a convicted Felon. Not sure what she does. Children are believed to be married and living in Alabama.

Just curious; back in 2007 there was a post by spartacus, stating he was this man's brother and was contacted by investigators to give DNA. Three years later, in 2010, this case was entered into NamUs. However, DNA is still showing not available in NamUs, NINE years later. Is this correct?
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4783/0/
http://www.missingveterans.com/1992/edward-sirio-consuegra/Edward Sirio Consuegra

Read more: http://www.missingveterans.com/1992/edward-sirio-consuegra/

Edward Sirio Consuegra

Read more: http://www.missingveterans.com/1992/edward-sirio-consuegra/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members