Canada - Terror plot inspired by Al-Qaeda

joanofarc

Justice for All Women and Children
Reaction score
Hi:

I didn't see a thread on this (if there is one mods please combine)....

Our world is becoming a very "scary" place (I especially fear for Alberta - Oil Country)...please stay vigilant!

http://www.hindu.com/2006/06/05/stories/2006060504291600.htm
TORONTO (CANADA): A terrorist plot, apparently inspired by Al-Qaeda, to bomb targets across Ontario has been broken up by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS). In a series of co-ordinated raids Canadian police arrested 17 individuals, including five youths, who they say were planning a series of attacks. All those involved were charged with terrorism offences.

After the raids, which began on Friday night, officers revealed they had seized almost three tonnes of ammonium nitrate, the same chemical used in the Oklahoma City bombing in which 168 persons were killed in 1995. As sketchy details emerged of the arrests, a spokesman for the RCMP said it "had arrested a number of individuals who were planning to commit a series of terror attacks against targets here in southern Ontario." All the men arrested lived in Canada and most were Canadian citizens, officials said. "This group holds a real and serious intent," RCMP Assistant Commissioner Mike McDonell said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060605/1068012.asp

Peace Bridge arrests tied to terror plot

FT. ERIE LISTED AS TRAINING SITE

By MAKI BECKER
News Staff Reporter
6/5/2006
space.gif
space.gif
Click to view larger picture
0605terist.jpg
Associated Press
A suspect arrested in a sweep aimed at foiling a possible terrorist attack in Canada is transferred to a prison vehicle in Pickering, Ont., for his arraignment Saturday in Brampton.

0605ali.jpg
Mohammed Dirie already is serving a two-
year term in a gun smuggling case.

But local officials report no sign of threat here

Three of the 17 suspected terrorists rounded up in Toronto and its suburbs Friday were involved in a foiled plot to smuggle guns and ammunition from the United States into Canada via the Peace Bridge crossing last summer. Mohammed Dirie, also known as Ali Dirie, 22, and Yasin Abdi Mohamed, 24, both Somali immigrants to Canada, already were in jail serving two-year sentences for weapons smuggling when they were hit last week with new Canadian terrorism charges. Authorities allege that the 17 suspects - 12 adults and five minors - had acquired three tons of explosives and were planning to blow up targets in the Toronto area, including, according to the Toronto Star, the Canadian Security Intelligence Services, located next to the city's famed CN Tower

The Canadian Press, in a story appearing Sunday night on the Web site of the Toronto Globe and Mail, said the charges against the 17 suspects include assertions that Fort Erie, Ont., was among several Canadian locations where the suspects may have either received or provided terrorist training. The other sites are Toronto, Mississauga and Ramara township, located on the shores of Lake Simcoe.

Last night I heard that this foiled terror cell is being covered 24/7 in Canadian media. Evidentally many Canadians are in shock - if I got the correct impression from BBC World Service radio.

I'm definitely going to try to listen to CBC tonight - I think the show I sometimes hear is called, As It Happens.

YOU be sure and be very observant of your surroundings, particularly when in crowded places -- okay? You simply have no idea how many other terror cells may exist throughout the North American continent, nor how their members will react in response to this major bust. Thank God that they were thwarted, but who knows how many more there might be, you know "sleeper" cells and moles. Who knows?

Thank you for posting this - I had quite a few URLs the other day, but ... presumed noone else was interested in discussing terrorism›

Thanks wondering....I work at a school where we train international workers for oil companies...oh yeah!...so after these reports, you bet I am on the look-out for anything suspicious...

As one Canadian who used to go on her merry way thinking this can't happen here....this sure proves how wrong we can be!!

You may want to bookmark a link to the FR extended thread about terrorism & terrorist threats, they've been doing this for years now -- here is the page of the thread where they started following the arrests in Toronto:

Threat Matrix: Daily Terror Threat - June 2006

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1642083/posts?q=1&&page=101

BOLO: Be On The Lookout

* Multiple sightings of the same suspicious person, vehicle or activity at the same location;

* Individuals or activities that don't "fit" into the surrounding environment;

* Individuals sitting in a parked vehicle for an extended period of time;

* Individuals or several people sketching or taking notes, photographing or videotaping areas or buildings not normally associated with tourist activity;

* Clothing out of place for the weather, such as someone wearing a heavy coat in hot weather;

* Individuals or people carrying unusually heavy bags or backpacks;

* Vehicles -- especially vans, U-Hauls or delivery trucks -- improperly parked or parked in locations not normally associated with deliveries;

* Follow your instinct. If something doesn't look right, it might not be.

READ MORE IMPORTANT TIPS HERE

http://www.ianlivingston.com/threatmatrix/bolo.htm

Geesh, they planned to break into the Parliament in Ottawa, take hostages and behead them as well as behead the Prime Minister, AND take over Canadian Broadcasting.

They had international connections with terror cells all over the place. They weren't simply a small local group.

Geesh.

wondering22 said:
Geesh, they planned to break into the Parliament in Ottawa, take hostages and behead them as well as behead the Prime Minister, AND take over Canadian Broadcasting.

They had international connections with terror cells all over the place. They weren't simply a small local group.

Geesh.
They were planning big, that's for sure.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back