The "All Things DaVinci Code Thread"...

cappuccina

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
...has been resurrected (yah, my bad, I know....)...

The book is clearly a work of fiction, with some historical information woven into it. Dan Brown's style of fiction, i.e., weaving historical events into a story, is not uncommon. Robert Ludlum, for example, has a very similar style in his books where, e.g., there is intrigue surrounding the CIA, FBI, NSC, etc. You do not see governmental employees on a proverbial "nut" about Robert Ludlum's books. IMO, the ONLY reason that some Catholics have gone ballistic about this fictional work is that some of the premises of this novel make them uncomfortable, and probably cause them to actually question their faith in a way that they have been taught to suppress. Dark Knight, I know plenty of Catholics who have not only read this book, but are open to dicussions about it. One of the reaons that I respect Jesuit preists, for example, is that they are open to discussions of their faith and of books such as the DVC, and do not call for censorship. I have two friends who are Jesuits, and one of the ways that they really reach out to young people is by having open dialogues with them about their faith, rather than telling them to "shut up and not talk about it"...hoping that what they do not agree with will go away...

According to international media reports and what is going on around here, it seems to be the stricter, more "evangelical" , or fundamentalist Catholics and others who are going ballistic about this book, rather than more mainstream Catholics, and mainstream religious folks. Apparently, the numbers of people going nutz are actually quite small...It is a very dangerous thing, IMO, when any religious, political or other group calls for a ban on literature, or censorship of mainstream reading materials. To me, this says that the group in question is into absolute control. When a group is into this type of absolute control, it usually means that the beliefs being promoted are NOT mainstream, because if they were, the group would not have to result to this type of coercion to enforce group membership. If the factions of the Church calling for a ban of this book were proverbially "comfortable with themselves", they would, in fact, WELCOME their flock to read this book and would open a dialogue and discussion about it...

I really do not understand the nuttiness over this book, actually...

If you think about it, the chances that Jesus was either married, or possibly had a child with someone out of wedlock would be very high...in keeping with the cultural norms of the time...

To me, the Bible itself is very much like the DaVinci Code, allegorical writings tied in with historical fact. For example, did "God create the world in a week"? Of course not....This is an allegorical fairytale that was used by the people at the time the Bible was written to explain things they did not understand, and may even have been a way for ancient astronomers to explain the fact that they thought the universe was created rather quickly, like our "big bang" theory today.

Just as the Greeks and Romans used mythology to explain events and to teach a moral code of ethics, so does the Bible. The myth of Icarus and Daedalus, for example, taught the ancient Greeks about greed and impulse...Do I think that the Greek myth is LITERALLY true -- two dudes donning feathers and flying too close to the sun? Of course not...It is ALLEGORY...Just like the stories in the old Testament...

The MOST important part of the Bible is, of course, the "Golden Rule," a tenet echoed in EVERY major world religion, both past and present...Lately, the fundamentalists and consumerists seem to all but ignore this basic code of human ethics...

OK, the debate is open, go to it...However, you must back up your position with fact or state that it is in fact, only your opinion; please do not tell me that because you were taught something in Sunday school, for example, it is a universal truth...

Cypros, if you are reading here, you are very, very knowledgeable vis a vis comparitive relgions cultures and ethics in general....I would really welcome your input and guidance during this discussion...

I am Catholic, read the DaVinci code, and very much enjoyed this piece of fiction. I seek this genre of fiction and was not at all offended by the book.
I also respect those opinions that find the book offensive and don't want to read the book or see the movie.

Nah, I think I'll pass on this one. You kids have fun, though! :blowkiss:

Dark Knight said:
Nah, I think I'll pass on this one. You kids have fun, though! :blowkiss:

DK your committment to the faith is admirable, honest and true. I always look forward to your posts. But I respect that you want to pass on this one. :)

Do I remember correctly that the Bible says nothing of Jesus' life between the ages of 12 and about 30? We really have no idea what he was doing, do we?

The book is clearly a work of fiction, with some historical information woven into it. Dan Brown's style of fiction, i.e., weaving historical events into a story, is not uncommon.
I have tried to read the book many times but I have yet to get through it. I just think that it is a poorly written book. Yes, it is a work of fiction, but when the storyline uses historical information and events, a good writter would have researched the facts better than Dan Brown did.
Apparently, the numbers of people going nutz are actually quite small...It is a very dangerous thing, IMO, when any religious, political or other group calls for a ban on literature, or censorship of mainstream reading materials.
I agree, there is only a small number of people going nutz over this book. I know that the Catholic Church has not called for a ban on this book. Some members of the Church may be calling for a boycott, but that is lot different than a ban. While I don't agree with it, I can understand their reasoning. There are a lot of people who will believe anything they read or hear. Look at how many people STILL believe Saddam had something to do with 9/11.
One of the reaons that I respect Jesuit preists, for example, is that they are open to discussions of their faith and of books such as the DVC, and do not call for censorship. I have two friends who are Jesuits, and one of the ways that they really reach out to young people is by having open dialogues with them about their faith, rather than telling them to "shut up and not talk about it"...hoping that what they do not agree with will go away...
I agree with you about the Jesuits (all three of my sons were educated by Jesuits). The best way to counteract the false facts in The DaVinci Code is by open discussion.
I really do not understand the nuttiness over this book, actually...
Me either

It is certainly not a farfetched notion that Jesus could have been married or fathered a child...

I find it fascinating that those with the most vitriol and fear vis a vis this book are not comfortable explaining why this book makes them so angry and afraid. While I certainly respect their differing opinion vis a vis this fictional work, again, I find it absolutely fascinating that they not only refuse to read the book, but also will not provide a reasoned analysis of their beliefs regarding it.

Thank you Maral for your reasoned (as always) insights!

Nova said:
Do I remember correctly that the Bible says nothing of Jesus' life between the ages of 12 and about 30? We really have no idea what he was doing, do we?

Have you read the book "Lamb" by Christopher Moore?

It really fills in the blanks..... :blowkiss:

Lynie

Well, I'm loving it because it's really well-written and suspenseful. Even though I've already heard the audio books, I'm really enjoying reading the hard copy, difficult to put down at night, it's a really good mystery!

Just finished this the other day. I'm Catholic, wasn't offended. I thought it was a good read. Questioning your own beliefs once in awhile can be a good thing.

Paladin said:
Just finished this the other day. I'm Catholic, wasn't offended. I thought it was a good read. Questioning your own beliefs once in awhile can be a good thing.
By golly, an unoffended Catholic! Nice to meet you. Asking questions in general is a good thing, especially about deeply held beliefs.

....an educated Catholic who realizes, just like the Jesuits do that asking questions and education are both good things...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back