NC NC - Fuquay Varina, WhtFem 35-45, 474UFNC, burned alive, may be Canadian, bifocals, Apr'68

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
More than 35 years after a young woman was burned alive, investigators say they have gotten the break they needed in the case. They say they have a suspect, but it is just one part of the decades-old mystery because they still do not know the identity of the victim.

On April 27, 1968, a woman in a green and white polka dot dress was seen walking down Ten Ten Road in Southern Wake County.

The women believed a farmer was burning something until the next day when the woman's body was discovered in that spot.

The whereabouts of her remains are unknown, but investigators say they have hair and blood samples from the original investigation. They also have a description.

"I know her hair was dark brown with a small amount of gray," Stewart said. "She had a surgical scar below the left side of her naval. She wore a size 7-1/2 shoe. Her blood type was A-positive."

There are also pictures of a gas can, matches, hair spray and other personal items found at the scene.
http://www.wral.com/news/4855145/detail.html#

How do they not know where her remains are ? They did find her body right? Are they saying it is unknown where she was buried after she was found ?

lisag said:
How do they not know where her remains are ? They did find her body right? Are they saying it is unknown where she was buried after she was found ?

I think what they are trying not to say is that they lost her. She may have been cremated, she may have been buried in an unmarked grave and they lost the paperwork documenting the info about the location. It is terrible, but this is not the first time.

Post removed because I read the actual link to the article and my questions were cleared up -

Mysteriew - you edited the article so much it doesn't make sense until you actually go to the link and read it.

KatherineQ said:
Post removed because I read the actual link to the article and my questions were cleared up -

Mysteriew - you edited the article so much it doesn't make sense until you actually go to the link and read it.

Copyright/TOS restrictions. I mainly wanted to get the info in about her description.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/474ufnc.htmlhttp://www.doenetwork.org/cases/474ufnc.html

Unidentified White Female

• The victim was discovered on April 28, 1968 in McCullers community, southern Wake County, North Carolina
  • Estimated Date of Death: April 27, 1968

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 35-45 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2-5'4; 130 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: There is a very slight possibility of Native American mixture. Black hair with some dark brown and occasional gray. It would be casually viewed to be black; small ears. She had a surgical scar below the left side of her naval. She wore a pair of bifocals, gold and brown smoke colored.
  • Dentals: Available; missing teeth #1, 16, 19, and 32; fillings in teeth #13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 29, 31. Crown fractured to gingival on tooth #30.
  • Clothing: Green & white polka dot dress or blouse w/zipper; size 7 1/2 brown italian loafer style shoe ~ manufacturer not determined, appeared to be cheaper brand in the range of $4-$10; women's all-weather coat, greenish-blue in color, with lining of gray fibers; remnants of what appeared to undergarments and pantyhose.
  • Other Items Found: A more expensive transistor battery, probably for a radio; 2 metallic buttons; the top of a ballpoint pen with the inscription, "Unipeco Mt. Vernon N.Y. U.S.A"; Cosmetics/Hygiene items: "Skin Dew" crème for "Dry Skin", manufactured by Helena Rubenstein, NY, NY; some type of overnight medicated cream, manufactured by Helena Rubenstein, NY, NY - $1.25; "Silk Fashion" liquid makeup, manufactured by Helena Rubenstein, NY, NY - $1.75 (introduced in 1967); glass top with "_ilk of _ntimate"; manufactured by Revlon; some metal tubes or containers which could have been used for lipstick/eyeliner; hair clips and possible greenish-blue hair net; wire frame for standing make-up mirror and some glass remnants of mirror; a "Thin Gillette" blade in wrapper; a pair of tweezers with "Permo TWEEZ" imprinted thereon.
  • Fingerprints: Available
  • DNA: Blood card and hair samples available.
  • Blood Type: A positive

Case History
On April 27, 1968, a woman in a green and white polka dot dress was seen walking down Ten Ten Road in McCullars community, near Fuquay-Varina, in southern Wake County, North Carolina.
A witness says her mother and sister saw her as they drove toward a church up the road. When they came back 15 minutes later, she was gone. When they came back, they didn't see the woman. They saw a fire burning in the field.
The women believed a farmer was burning something until the next day when the woman's body was discovered in that spot.
A suspect in the case died in 1992. The suspect planted tobacco in Canada. Because this woman was a stranger to neighbors, investigators think it is possible that the woman came down from Canada to meet with the suspect. Investigators interviewed the suspect in 1968. He admitted that he and a friend drove up the road to get a look at the woman, but told detectives she had vanished when they got there.
The whereabouts of the victim's remains are unknown, but investigators have hair and blood samples from the original investigation.

anthrobones said:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/474ufnc.html

Unidentified White Female

• The victim was discovered on April 28, 1968 in McCullers community, southern Wake County, North Carolina
  • Estimated Date of Death: April 27, 1968

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 35-45 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2-5'4; 130 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: There is a very slight possibility of Native American mixture. Black hair with some dark brown and occasional gray. It would be casually viewed to be black; small ears. She had a surgical scar below the left side of her naval. She wore a pair of bifocals, gold and brown smoke colored.
  • Dentals: Available; missing teeth #1, 16, 19, and 32; fillings in teeth #13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 29, 31. Crown fractured to gingival on tooth #30.
  • Clothing: Green & white polka dot dress or blouse w/zipper; size 7 1/2 brown italian loafer style shoe ~ manufacturer not determined, appeared to be cheaper brand in the range of $4-$10; women's all-weather coat, greenish-blue in color, with lining of gray fibers; remnants of what appeared to undergarments and pantyhose.
  • Other Items Found: A more expensive transistor battery, probably for a radio; 2 metallic buttons; the top of a ballpoint pen with the inscription, "Unipeco Mt. Vernon N.Y. U.S.A"; Cosmetics/Hygiene items: "Skin Dew" crème for "Dry Skin", manufactured by Helena Rubenstein, NY, NY; some type of overnight medicated cream, manufactured by Helena Rubenstein, NY, NY - $1.25; "Silk Fashion" liquid makeup, manufactured by Helena Rubenstein, NY, NY - $1.75 (introduced in 1967); glass top with "_ilk of _ntimate"; manufactured by Revlon; some metal tubes or containers which could have been used for lipstick/eyeliner; hair clips and possible greenish-blue hair net; wire frame for standing make-up mirror and some glass remnants of mirror; a "Thin Gillette" blade in wrapper; a pair of tweezers with "Permo TWEEZ" imprinted thereon.
  • Fingerprints: Available
  • DNA: Blood card and hair samples available.
  • Blood Type: A positive
Case History
On April 27, 1968, a woman in a green and white polka dot dress was seen walking down Ten Ten Road in McCullars community, near Fuquay-Varina, in southern Wake County, North Carolina.
A witness says her mother and sister saw her as they drove toward a church up the road. When they came back 15 minutes later, she was gone. When they came back, they didn't see the woman. They saw a fire burning in the field.
A suspect in the case died in 1992. The suspect planted tobacco in Canada. Because this woman was a stranger to neighbors, investigators think it is possible that the woman came down from Canada to meet with the suspect. Investigators interviewed the suspect in 1968. He admitted that he and a friend drove up the road to get a look at the woman, but told detectives she had vanished when they got there.
The whereabouts of the victim's remains are unknown, but investigators have hair and blood samples from the original investigation.

This one's interesting-just like all the other UID cases from the 50's and 60's and older

Seems like she should have some sort of nickname, like polka dot Jane Doe or something. Ancestry.com has really updated their North Carolina archive collection, I'll look later and see if I can find anything about her, or anyone missing that matches her description.

I didn't find anything about this woman in archives last night, but I did find this article, it says she was burned alive. Doesn't it seem as though she was packed to leave, and maybe if they could uncover her identity they could get the full story, why she was leaving, where she was going...also some of those cosmetic products found with her seem sort of expensive for that time period, I wonder also if she had mail-ordered them.

http://www.wral.com/news/4855145/detail.html

The Revlon item that they have missing the first letters is Silk of Intimate. I think it was a perfumed lotion.

The makeup definitely would have been good for the time. I wonder if she was a nightclub singer or dancer? It would explain why her makeup was of better quality than the rest of her kit. I wonder what happened to her suitcase? It seems that, with that much makeup, there should have been a suitcase as well, unless she carried a really large handbag that burned up more than the contents.

bumping this. I think this case is very interesting. I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

or, doing makeovers?

She definitely is prepared to do her make-up or someone else's.

A very sad and puzzling murder. The amount of cosmetics listed sounds more like her personal make-up kit, rather than a salesperson's case of samples. Also, if she had been a sales representative for Helena Rubenstein, she probably would not have had any items from a competitor (Revlon).

This girl came from somewhere outside Wake County and was there for a purpose. If it was a case of only a dead body being found, then it would be most likely that she was killed elsewhere and simply dumped in the field by someone passing through. But witnesses claimed to have seen her alive and alone prior to her death.

Why would the killer attempt to burn her body? It obviously attracted the attention of others, and did not destroy the body.

She had a pen and cosmetics from New York, my guess is she probably had ties there. What does the inscription on that pen mean ??

Does anyone know if an accelerant was used? Gasoline? Where was the nearest house ? Who lived there?

Normally, I would say because of the time frame, it's probably not her, but geez does this woman look just like the Jane Doe. Even the glasses are shaped the same. I put her on my desk top, I'm going to try to find an archive with her height and weight on it, hopefully. And it said she said she was going away. Good match LButler !!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back