NJ - Father Joseph Hughes for embezzlement, Rumson, 2006

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) -- A priest who pleaded guilty to looting more than $75,000 from his upscale parish to pay for vacations and fancy cars was sentenced Friday to five years in state prison.

The sentence followed prosecutors' recommendation for the Rev. Joseph W. Hughes, 62, who last month admitted embezzling from the Church of the Holy Cross in the Rumson over seven years. Authorities had originally charged him with taking $2 million.

Hughes, who led the parish for 16 years, has agreed to return the money and pay $120,229 in income taxes. He apologized several times during the hearing Friday.

"I betrayed the trust of the people and I am truly and heartfeltly sorry," he told the judge.

http://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gif

Hughes was accused http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PRIEST_EMBEZZLEMENT?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

I guess we should be grateful it was not another pedophile priest story, but really....this is disgusting.

This makes me so very angry. Priests are in a position of great power. So many people look up to them and to them for spiritual guidance. When they do stupid things like this, it shakes the faith of many.

The priest is from my parent's parish...they live in Little Silver NJ (right near Rumson). So very sickening.... They just moved there about 3 years ago and then this comes out. Yuck! They also itimated that this priest had a "boyfriend" but don't hold me to that!:loser:

Well, I recall reading not too long ago that seminaries are to be more vigilant in checking on candidates for the priesthood, weeding out anyone who appeared to be gay. Pedophiles are at the top of my s*&^ list and embezzlers are not too far below them.

deandaniellws said:
This makes me so very angry. Priests are in a position of great power. So many people look up to them and to them for spiritual guidance. When they do stupid things like this, it shakes the faith of many.
Sadly, it does for many. My faith isn't shaken by the acts of a human, though. They are going to sin, and it isn't a reflection of my Church or my God or my Saviour, I figure. :)

Opie said:
I guess we should be grateful it was not another pedophile priest story, but really....this is disgusting.
Actually, I've noticed a rather surprising correlation between pedophiles and crimes such as graft, fraud, embezzlement, etc. It seems to have something to do with their lack of boundaries,their cavalier attitude towards vioalting trust, their sense of entitlement, and the adrenaline rush they get from commiting crimes and not getting caught. That's not to say every embezzler is a pedophile, but many pedophiles are also found to be guilty of being con men/embezzlers as well.

Dark Knight said:
Sadly, it does for many. My faith isn't shaken by the acts of a human, though. They are going to sin, and it isn't a reflection of my Church or my God or my Saviour, I figure. :)
The only time one's Faith is shaken by something that a Priest does is when your faith was not that strong to begin with. Quite simply because of the reasons you stated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyberanalyst0303
Back