Calif. Supreme Court to Hear Ramirez Case (Nightstalker)

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
California Supreme Court to hear 'night stalker' case
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Appellate lawyers for the convicted serial killer known as the "Night Stalker" say his trial attorneys were inexperienced and nearly guaranteed his conviction for the grisly killing spree that terrorized the state in the 1980s.

The California Supreme Court is scheduled to hear Richard Ramirez's case Tuesday.

Ramirez, now 46, was sentenced to death in 1989 for 13 Los Angeles-area murders committed in 1984 and 1985. Satanic symbols were left at some murder scenes and some victims were forced to "swear to Satan" by the killer, who broke into homes through unlocked windows and doors.

His appellate attorneys say his original lawyers' inexperience in capital cases and bizarre behavior during the trial should get him off death row. Despite warning Ramirez against retaining the two men, the judge did not disqualify the lawyers because they were chosen by Ramirez's family.

Daniel Hernandez and Arturo Hernandez, who are not related, had a combined five years of experience when they took over as Ramirez's defense lawyers. Both had a history of being held in contempt in Santa Clara County for their handling of cases, and their conduct resulted in the reversal of one murder conviction.

more at:

http://www.courttv.com/trials/news/0606/06_nightstalker_ap.html

Posted on Tue, Jun. 06, 2006'Night

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAN FRANCISCO - The California Supreme Court will consider the case of convicted serial killer Richard Ramirez today, but the grisly killing spree that terrorized the state in the 1980s won't be the main subject of debate.

Arturo Hernandez, still a practicing lawyer in San Jose, told the Associated Press that the Ramirez defense team did its best in a difficult case.

"They're Monday morning quarterbacking," Hernandez said. "But we did it pro bono. Didn't get a penny. For free, I think we did a hell of a good job."

Daniel Hernandez died in 2003.

Prosecutors say the judge was correct in allowing the two to stay on the case. They maintain that Ramirez got a fair trial, noting the "overwhelming evidence" of guilt.

"Our position is that Ramirez received constitutionally adequate assistance of counsel," said deputy attorney General Margaret Maxwell. more at link:http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/14751045.htm

SQV had posted that Ramirez is gravely ill with, I believe, it was lung cancer.

Good riddens. He is one who truly gives me the creeps. He is pure evil.

Jules said:
SQV had posted that Ramirez is gravely ill with, I believe, it was lung cancer.

Good riddens. He is one who truly gives me the creeps. He is pure evil.
He gives me the creeps too:eek: . He is totally evil, no doubt about that.

news link
LOS ANGELES — Convicted serial killer Richard Ramirez's death sentence in the terrifying 1980s Night Stalker slayings should be overturned because he wasn't properly defended at his trial, an appeals lawyer told the California Supreme Court on Tuesday.

"This case was the blind leading the blind," said attorney Geraldine S. Russell.

dark_shadows said:
news link
LOS ANGELES — Convicted serial killer Richard Ramirez's death sentence in the terrifying 1980s Night Stalker slayings should be overturned because he wasn't properly defended at his trial, an appeals lawyer told the California Supreme Court on Tuesday.

"This case was the blind leading the blind," said attorney Geraldine S. Russell.

Guess he decided he wasn't so eager to meet his master, Satan, quite yet. And the term "blind leading the blind" is kind of offensive when used in Ramirez's defence, since he removed the eyeballs of at least one victim.

dark_shadows said:
news link

Timing is kind of coincidental, since they brought him up last night on LKL?? I think that's who they were talking about-is he at SQ?

ellen13 said:
Timing is kind of coincidental, since they brought him up last night on LKL?? I think that's who they were talking about-is he at SQ?

Yes, he's at SQ.

Everytime i see his picture it gives me the chills.He is pure evil.

If this creep is gravely ill with the Big C, why bother spending more taxpayers money on trials. Just stall it all till he pops his clogs. Funny, that he loves his Satan so much but is eager to escape the death penalty.:doh:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back