Some Sex Offenders Tracked for Life!!!!

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
news link

It is about time.

NEW YORK — The crimes of convicted sex offenders are starting to haunt them … literally.
Many states are initiating programs that track registered sex offenders using Global Positioning Satellites, or GPS, sometimes for life. GPS can track the exact location of the offenders at all times, making it easier for law enforcement to ensure that they're abiding with the terms of their release.

It sounds like an efficient system: Authorities can keep track of dangerous sex offenders without having to keep them in prison at taxpayers' expense.

But opponents argue that process, particularly if it's for life, is excessively punitive and invades the privacy of offenders after they've served their time. And with 50 states, 50 different sets of laws are likely to emerge, making for complicated enforcement.

This is great, I hope everyone jumps on board.

About time!

Alabama did a special meeting back in July of 2005. But only after being called out on national tv about it. Whatever gets it there I say.

To quote our gov,
[font=times new roman,serif]"For the first time, we're saying if you molest a child under 12, you don't get a second chance. You go to jail for 20 years with no time off, no split sentences. That is a minimum. If you want to molest a child, you're better off moving out of the state of Alabama."

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/050930/law.shtml

I think Ohio, that wants to issue pink license plates, and California, who wants to chemically castrate and all the other states need to get together and make it a blanket law, not just pieces for one state and piece for another. Make it a national database with a national potential for the same punishments.

[/font]

Hi,I dont know exactly where to put this story~so I'll put it here...A man in Broadview Heights Ohio was found guilty of using the internet to lure children into sex.Stephen Sigley propositioned what he thought was a 12 yr. old girl in Brooklyn Ohio.In reality it was an FBI Special Agent.Being his first time,Sigley expected probation.The Judge slapped him with 5 years in prison! This is an article well worth reading.I dont know how to post links but it can be read at www.cleveland.com the judge really lashed out at all lawmakers taking a leinient stand at predators.Sigley is married and the "father" of two small children.

Yes Ohio is pushing for pink plates!! Boy Ihope it passes.

Hundreds of convicted sex offenders will have to wear a two-piece electronic tracking device for the rest of their lives under a new Wisconsin law.

Ankle bracelets and a pager-sized unit, often attached to a belt, will use Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to follow their every step. If they enter restricted areas, such as schools, officials will be alerted.

GPS programs will track 285 offenders the first year, beginning July 2007, and up to 400 by the second year, says Dan Leistikow, spokesman for Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle.

In May, Wisconsin joined a rapidly rising number of states using GPS to monitor convicted sex offenders. At least 23 states are doing so, according to a survey in February by the Pennsylvania Board of Probation and Parole. Others have since begun or expanded GPS programs.

"In the last several months, it's been exponential growth," says Steve Chapin, president of Pro-Tech, a Florida-based firm that provides GPS services to 27 statewide agencies. He says his business has doubled in the past three months.

As of January, 13 states had laws requiring or allowing GPS tracking, says the National Conference of State Legislatures.

much more at;

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2006-06-06-gps-tracking_x.htm

So, if it's just on a belt, they could put it on their dog - leave the dog in the car at the movie theater and snatch up a kid from a school.

I've got a better solution.

Jeana (DP) said:
Hundreds of convicted sex offenders will have to wear a two-piece electronic tracking device for the rest of their lives under a new Wisconsin law.

Ankle bracelets and a pager-sized unit, often attached to a belt, will use Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to follow their every step. If they enter restricted areas, such as schools, officials will be alerted.

GPS programs will track 285 offenders the first year, beginning July 2007, and up to 400 by the second year, says Dan Leistikow, spokesman for Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle.

In May, Wisconsin joined a rapidly rising number of states using GPS to monitor convicted sex offenders. At least 23 states are doing so, according to a survey in February by the Pennsylvania Board of Probation and Parole. Others have since begun or expanded GPS programs.

"In the last several months, it's been exponential growth," says Steve Chapin, president of Pro-Tech, a Florida-based firm that provides GPS services to 27 statewide agencies. He says his business has doubled in the past three months.

As of January, 13 states had laws requiring or allowing GPS tracking, says the National Conference of State Legislatures.

much more at;

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2006-06-06-gps-tracking_x.htm

This is great!! My only question is what is to prevent them from removing the devices?

GlitchWizard said:
So, if it's just on a belt, they could put it on their dog - leave the dog in the car at the movie theater and snatch up a kid from a school.

I've got a better solution.

No, there is an ankle thingy and another thingy that goes on the belt. At least that's what they showed on the news this morning. I'm not sure which part does what, but they're shackled for life.

While I favor this approach - I don't see how it will keep them from doing things they shouldn't be doing, an ounce of prevention that may be too late. It may keep some of them on a straight line but I doubt it will have any effect on someone who is he11 bent for violence anyway. Even Saint Martha violated her radius of travel while she was required to wear one. The benefit of course is knowing where they are, that is, if anyone is paying attention. I would be in favor of 20,000 volt shock collars however.

raisincharlie said:
While I favor this approach - I don't see how it will keep them from doing things they shouldn't be doing, an ounce of prevention that may be too late. It may keep some of them on a straight line but I doubt it will have any effect on someone who is he11 bent for violence anyway. Even Saint Martha violated her radius of travel while she was required to wear one. The benefit of course is knowing where they are, that is, if anyone is paying attention. I would be in favor of 20,000 volt shock collars however.

Well, they'll know immediately if they travel to another state and don't register as they're supposed to. Once they don't check in when they're supposed to, a warrant can be issued for their arrest. Once a warrant is issued for their arrest, the GPS can track the police right to their door. No more cat and mouse. Its not a cure all, but it sure as hell is better than nothing, right? I mean we're never going to make sure they don't do everything they're not supposed to be doing as long as we let them out of prison. But knowing that we all have these monsters in our community, I feel better knowing that at least they're trying to do something and not just throwing up their hands and saying its no use!

Yes, I know. I'm the queen of run-on sentences. :D

Personally, I'd rather see them insert a GPS chip - something that is permanent and cannot be fooled with or removed.

Jules said:
Personally, I'd rather see them insert a GPS chip - something that is permanent and cannot be fooled with or removed.

Better yet, insert the chip in their heads and add an explosive to the chip so when they stray where they don't belong....BOOM!

Jules said:
Yep, Me too Jules! If they can do it to dogs and cats, then surley they can do it to perverts!!

bakerprune64 said:
Yep, Me too Jules! If they can do it to dogs and cats, then surley they can do it to perverts!!

Well, thanks to the ACLUseless, that will never happen. They were talking about doing it to the "guestworkers" coming here from other countries and I thought some of the libs' heads were going to explode.

Jeana (DP) said:
Well, thanks to the ACLUseless, that will never happen. They were talking about doing it to the "guestworkers" coming here from other countries and I thought some of the libs' heads were going to explode.

Yeah, I know. :rolleyes: It will probably never happen, but we can hope! :D

Jeana (DP) said:
Well, they'll know immediately if they travel to another state and don't register as they're supposed to. Once they don't check in when they're supposed to, a warrant can be issued for their arrest. Once a warrant is issued for their arrest, the GPS can track the police right to their door. No more cat and mouse. Its not a cure all, but it sure as hell is better than nothing, right? I mean we're never going to make sure they don't do everything they're not supposed to be doing as long as we let them out of prison. But knowing that we all have these monsters in our community, I feel better knowing that at least they're trying to do something and not just throwing up their hands and saying its no use!

Yes, I know. I'm the queen of run-on sentences. :D
I run on as well - no worry ! I really do agree with you - there are definitely some very large advantages to this program that makes it worthy of doing. Anything would be better than depending on the offender to tell the truth and register like a good little boy or girl - no argument there. In this case it also seems like the DNA database actually pointed out the individual - its all good.

I did review the Wetterling Law enacted in 1990 - several revisions thereafter as well. It does require them to register and to check in quarterly - those who list themselves as transient are required to check in weekly. Given all the requirements of this law, and the obvious failure to enforce it, I get a little jumpy about proposed new ways that don't actually stop them - have to see it enforced before I can totally support it.

In the case of the GPS issue - it is easily interferred with (strong magnets, cell phones, rapid movement, i.e.). I just wonder who will be doing the monitoring and how effective will it be. Local, state, or nationwide, and then there is the cost - some small jurisdications may not be able to afford the computers and personnel that will be required to keep track of these people. I tend to think on prevention rather than tracking. But I don't know what the prevention could possibly be. I do know that every time one of these animals, especially those defined as Level III offenders, is released and they repeat either harming or killing another person - I can't find a reason to excuse the "system" for releasing them in the first place. I do believe that part of the solution is to re-visit the law and parole issues involved. If the GPS tracking saves one child or person from one of these criminals - it will of course be worth it.

Jeana (DP) said:

I should hope so. GPS-tracking a child molester is one thing (and I do hope they limit the program to violent offenders and don't start tagging every college kid who pees behind a bush).

But GPS-tracking invited (and presumably necessary) workers? Why not GPS-track everyone then, as long as we're tracking innocent people?

Nova said:
I should hope so. GPS-tracking a child molester is one thing (and I do hope they limit the program to violent offenders and don't start tagging every college kid who pees behind a bush).

But GPS-tracking invited (and presumably necessary) workers? Why not GPS-track everyone then, as long as we're tracking innocent people?

Hey, I didn't say I agreed with them GPSing the workers.

Edited to add, that I don't think they will go that far with the "sex offenders." It sounded to me like they were only doing it to the "worst of the worst" when it comes to pedophilia, not just any random "sex offender," because as we know, lots of things could put someone in that category.

Nova said:
GPS-tracking a child molester is one thing (and I do hope they limit the program to violent offenders and don't start tagging every college kid who pees behind a bush).

I know I would not support GPS-tracking on anyone other than violent offenders.

Jeana (DP) said:
Hey, I didn't say I agreed with them GPSing the workers.

Edited to add, that I don't think they will go that far with the "sex offenders." It sounded to me like they were only doing it to the "worst of the worst" when it comes to pedophilia, not just any random "sex offender," because as we know, lots of things could put someone in that category.

And that's why the ACLU isn't useless. We need them to help determine where these lines are to be drawn.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back