TV Alert

thanks, Jayelles--I believe that is the "second documentary" (shown in England as such, but not in the U.S. until CourtTv purchased it) which relies heavily on Smit's PowerPoint collection of case information.

It's in this presentation that the explanation --along with photos--are given that point out how Smit first thought that the pairs of marks on JonBenét's face and back might have been made by a stun gun.

OK. I didn't recognise the title because it was called "Who killed the Pageant Queen?" here. Also, someone at Court TV is claiming that it's new.

Just about anything in America is hyped as being 'new', 'improved' or 'lemon-flavored'. Those are just adjectives used by marketing types. "network premiere" doesn't seem to have much meaning either.

As to this particular show, I believe that it has aired before in the USA and is essentially the UK-aired documentary with some changes that were made after its UK broadcast.

Of particular note is the manner in which two people simultaneously came to the conclusion of 'stun gun use' and the low-key, non-criticizing manner in which Lou Smit indicates that the BPD might benefit by changing their focus.

Interesting that Court TV felt so compelled to post a disclaimer that they've never intended to imply that Burke Ramsey was ever a suspect. The fear of litigation is mind-boggling today. A sad commentary on America. Quashing our freedom of speech. No one seems to know where our rights lie anymore.
Thanks to greedy, slimey lawyers like Lin Wood.

A side note here: it is so very curious to me why the Ramseys have never sued on behalf of John Ramsey and his proclaimed "innocence." God knows he's been accused by media, tabloids etc. hundreds of times.

CourtTv was served with a suit by Lin Wood on Burke's behalf regarding a different CourtTv special on the Ramsey case. I think their disclaimer about Burke will be standard on any program they air concerning the case.

JonBenet: A Second Look
Private Detective Lou Smit was hired to investigate the possible involvement of JonBenet Ramsey's parents in her murder. Smit's conclusions will surprise many -- he believes the parents had absolutely nothing to do with the killing. This episode of The Elite profiles Smit and his extensive investigation and takes the viewer on a journey from the foothills of the Rockies to both coasts. The show also features clips of interrogations of the Ramseys -- clips that have not been seen on television before.
Courttv.com's extensive background on JonBenet Ramsey.
Editor's Note:
On November 5, 1999, Court TV telecast a program entitled "Who Killed JonBenet Ramsey? Prime Suspects." In that program, Court TV did not intend in any way to suggest that Burke Ramsey had any involvement in the murder of his sister, JonBenet. To the contrary, the discussion of Burke Ramsey was intended to convey to the viewers that the participants in the program did not believe that Burke Ramsey should be considered a suspect. In this connection, the program acknowledged that, in May of 1999, Boulder County District Attorney Alexander M. Hunter publicly released a statement that officially stated that Burke Ramsey was not a suspect in connection with the murder of his sister.

http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/thesystem/g_p_episodes/jonbenet.html

(I took the liberty of editing Smits to Smit 3 times in the above paragraphs)

CTV...what back-pedaling wusses. This "second look" program was done only to appease Wood and the Ramseys after CTV got sued for including Burke in their list of "prime suspects" in the CTV special, Prime Suspects: Who Killed JonBenet Ramsey?

It was on that program that Dr. Michael Baden said he thought Burke should be looked at as a possible suspect.

I believe the disclaimer about Burke was part of the settlement agreement w/ Court TV as well as the repeated airings of the Lou Smit crock.

candy said:
I believe the disclaimer about Burke was part of the settlement agreement w/ Court TV as well as the repeated airings of the Lou Smit crock.

The repeat airings cannot be part of the settlement, unless Court TV managed to pull a fast one on the Ramseys and Wood. Court TV always repeats every episode aired under "The System" label. The one on tomorrow, "Love and Murder," was originally aired February 12, 1999, the one on the following day, "The Love Connection," aired May 14, 2003, and the one after that, "Badge of Dishonor," aired December 23, 2002. According to the Tivo guide database, the Smit documentary was originally aired January 2, 2003, and my own copy saved on the Tivo was a repeat from May 15th.

This program has run more than twice. It's not a balanced program. It's a one sided pro-Ramsey crock by Team Ramsey's Tracey. I firmly believe the whole disclaimer about Burke, which came RIGHT AFTER CTV settled is part of the settlement, as well as repeated airings of Lou's crock.

Court TV settled in late October, the first show ran in January:

10/23/02 58 Stipulation by remaining parties and approved by Judge
Clarence Cooper, dismissing action w/prejudice against all
parties to include those defendants previously dismissed,
with each party to bear own costs, pursuant to FRCP
41(a)(1)(ii). (cc) (slc) [Entry date 10/24/02]

10/23/02 -- Case terminated. (slc) [Entry date 10/24/02]

10/23/02 59 CONSENT Pre-trial order filed by Judge Clarence Cooper. (cc
by CRD) (***FILED UNDER SEAL***) (slc) [Entry date 12/03/02]
[Edit date 12/03/02]

10/23/02 60 Joint REQUEST for approval of confidential settlement.
(to CC) (slc) [Entry date 12/03/02]

10/23/02 61 ORDER by Judge Clarence Cooper GRANTING [60-1] joint motion
for approval of confidential settlement. (cc) (slc)
[Entry date 12/03/02]

CTV, just like other networks, own programing of their own which was made or acquired at considerable expense. If these programmings are of viewer interest, they are played, replayed, and rereplayed.

I didn't watch tonite but I made a copy the first time this documentary aired. I love it! :crazy:

LovelyPigeon said:
CTV, just like other networks, own programing of their own which was made or acquired at considerable expense. If these programmings are of viewer interest, they are played, replayed, and rereplayed.

I didn't watch tonite but I made a copy the first time this documentary aired. I love it! :crazy:

So basically, this was the "Pageant Queen" documentary where Lou Smit pointed out the blue line between the marks on JonBenet's back and claimed it had been caused by the blue arc of a stungun?

Jayelles said:
So basically, this was the "Pageant Queen" documentary where Lou Smit pointed out the blue line between the marks on JonBenet's back and claimed it had been caused by the blue arc of a stungun?

I watched it for the first time last night. No, the blue arc wasn't mentioned, although a stun gun was shown and close up pics of the marks were shown, and Doberson spoke.

It was totally a pro-Ramsey program. I thought Smit made some good points. However, the pineapple was not mentioned at all, which to me is a very important piece of evidence. The hair on the blanket was brought up again, and Smit stated that it did not belong to "ANY Ramsey". I thought the hair proved to be Patsy's?

Nehemiah said:
I watched it for the first time last night. No, the blue arc wasn't mentioned, although a stun gun was shown and close up pics of the marks were shown, and Doberson spoke.

It was totally a pro-Ramsey program. I thought Smit made some good points. However, the pineapple was not mentioned at all, which to me is a very important piece of evidence. The hair on the blanket was brought up again, and Smit stated that it did not belong to "ANY Ramsey". I thought the hair proved to be Patsy's?

The blue line was definitely mentioned in the British airing of the documentary. Here is the transcript from that programme. I see that it was cut from the US version of the programme:-

UK VERSION
NARRATOR - Smit also identified the actual weapon which he believed caused these injuries.

LOU - The stun gun that we came up with is this one and it’s the Air Taser stun gun. When the stun gun is energized you see a light blue mark and if you look closely at the blow-up you'll see a light blue mark extending from one of the marks to the other on the back of JonBenét. If a stun gun is used on a little girl I'm sure it would have knocked her flat and it would have allowed the killer to take her from her bed without her struggling

US Version
NARRATOR - Smit also identified the particular weapon which he believed caused these injuries.

LOU - The stun gun that we came up with is this one and its the Air Taser stun gun. If a stun gun is used on a little girl I'm sure it would have knocked her flat and it would have allowed the killer to take her from her bed without her struggling

candy said:
Carol McKinley reported the hair on the blanket belonged to Patsy.

Thank you, Candy, for accurately reporting the evidence as opposed to Toth's subjective, unsubstantiated, "take my word for it I was there" statements.

I'm still waiting for him to document his claim that the partial DNA from JBR's panties was the same as the partial & contaminated DNA from her fingernails. Gee, I'm glad I'm not holding my breath.

IMO

candy said:
Carol McKinley reported the hair on the blanket belonged to Patsy.

Yes, wasn't this an ancillary hair? Isn't that how the media referred to it?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back