Visit site
Christopher Enoch Abeyta
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
# Missing Since: July 15, 1986 from Colorado Springs, Colorado
# Classification: Non-Family Abduction
# Date Of Birth: November 28, 1985
# Age: 7 months old
# Height and Weight: 2'2, 25 pounds
# Distinguishing Characteristics: Blond hair, blue eyes. Abeyta is of Swedish, German and Spanish descent. His hair may darken to brownish-blond as he grows older. His father and brothers are all of average to above average height and Abeyta may be also.

Details of Disappearance
Abeyta's parents discovered that he was missing in the early morning hours of July 15, 1986 from their Colorado Springs, Colorado home. They had put him to bed at midnight and in the morning they found his crib empty. A basement window was open and the garage door opener had apparently been stolen. Abeyta has never been heard from again. His parents alerted police to his disappearance at 6:30 a.m.
Members of Abeyta's family were initially viewed as potential suspects in his case. It was reported that his mother failed a polygraph exam shortly after his disappearance, which she stated was caused by a withdrawal from tranquilizers.
Both parents admitted that the baby, who was much younger than his five older siblings, was not planned and initially not wanted. There were no signs of forced entry to the house. The Abeytas said they had left the front door unlocked that night, but police stated that this was uncharacteristic of them. Police also stated that, due o the placement of Abeyta's crib at the far end of a very cluttered room, only a person very familiar with the room could have crossed it in the dark without tripping over things and making noise. Abeyta's parents are therefore not being ruled out as suspects in his disappearance.
Three weeks after Abeyta vanished, authorities drained Quail Lake to search for his body. They had no evidence to suggest he might be there, but decided to look anyway. No evidence relating to Abeyta's case was found in the lake.
Abeyta's family members believe that he is alive and unaware that he was abducted from his home, and that possibly the person(s) raising him also do not know he was kidnapped. His loved ones operate a web site that features information about his case. They believe he may be in Texas or New Mexico. Abeyta's case remains unsolved.

Although I don't think they're related, this case reminds me of the Aisenberg case. I've never heard about this child before. It seems that if he really was alive and had the publicity that the Aisenberg case had, he might have been located. I wonder what makes them think he is in TX or NM? I found out about this case while perusing www.thecharleyproject.org His family also has a website set up at www.findchristopher.com Has anyone else looked into this case or know anything about it?

annemc2 said:
Although I don't think they're related, this case reminds me of the Aisenberg case. I've never heard about this child before. It seems that if he really was alive and had the publicity that the Aisenberg case had
Even with the publicity of the Aisenberg case she hasn't been located...if she's still alive.

I'm not familiar with this case, but it makes me wonder sometimes, where do all these missing people go? :confused:

Date Of Birth: November 28, 1985
Age at Time of Disappearance: 8 months old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 2'2; 25 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Dentals: Not available

Case Type: Non Family Abduction
DOB: Nov 28, 1985
Missing Date: Jul 15, 1986
Age Now: 20
Missing City: COLORADO SPRINGS
Missing State : CO
Missing Country: United States
Case Number: NCMC600552

NCME

Charley Project

Find Cristopher

Missing since July 15, 1986 from Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado
Classification: Non Family Abduction

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: November 28, 1985
Age at Time of Disappearance: 8 months old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 2'2; 25 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Abeyta's parents awoke during the early morning hours of July 15, 1986 to discover that their infant son had been abducted from their home in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Upon investigation of the property, officers found that the basement window was open and the garage door opener was missing.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Colorado Springs Police Department
719-444-7000
All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number:
86-20515

NCIC Number:
M-247963785
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information related to this case.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Please Help us Find Christopher

I wonder why someone would want to take this child from his own home?

sad thing about that is whoever took him would have been watching the family and picking a suitable sign for him/her to take Christopher :(

If not a family member, then someone who had intimate knowledge of the family. And the parent's actions are a tad odd... Who would tell LE that a child is unplanned and unwanted?

bykerladi said:
If not a family member, then someone who had intimate knowledge of the family. And the parent's actions are a tad odd... Who would tell LE that a child is unplanned and unwanted?
Perhaps LE asked them. I know LE asks a lot of very personal questions in those kinds of investigations, all the while saying things like "I know this is difficult, but we need to know the truth." I recall one investigation with an abducted child where they conducted testing to determine that the little girl was really the offspring of her mother and father.

bykerladi said:
that is true, plus why would you make a website up for your 'un-wanted' child?! :furious: the person that did this surely must have known the family surely because of the way they did it. i mean to do it so quietly without them waking up is one thing but apparently his bedroom was really cluttered anybody from the outside would have made a noise if they went in there. i've heard of cases were it turns out that the plumber, decorator etc has taken a child/ren becasue they had legitimate access to the houses and it was easy for them to know the layout of the house. i wonder if the family ever looked into this possibility :waitasec: :twocents:

actually another point, why did the child not cry the night he was taken? :waitasec:

I think possibly the abductor picked up the sleeping baby so carefully that he didn't wake it. Many children older than that are snatched from beds with nary a sound.

I'm sure the Abeytas want Christopher now. A lot of people are really angry about expecting a baby, how can we afford this, years more of middle-of-the-night feedings, etc, then it's actually born and they're all "awwww, woogie woogie"

meggilyweggily said:
I think possibly the abductor picked up the sleeping baby so carefully that he didn't wake it. Many children older than that are snatched from beds with nary a sound.

I'm sure the Abeytas want Christopher now. A lot of people are really angry about expecting a baby, how can we afford this, years more of middle-of-the-night feedings, etc, then it's actually born and they're all "awwww, woogie woogie"

true i know alot of people that were like that :angel: simply the abductor could have used something to cover his mouth?! :eek: to stop him from crying etc or even the child knew that abductor so when Christopher woke up there was no peep from him because he knew who the person was. i personally believe that stranger abductions happen when a child is outside like that many stories here but in cases like these i think that they are known to the family. this is only because you would have a lot of guts to break into a home and steal a child :furious:

meggilyweggily said:
You have to have a lot of guts to kidnap a child, period. Elizabeth Smart's abductor broke into her home, did he not?
Elizabeth's smart's abductor was KNOWN to the family he was their gardener so he knew what their house was like etc, i think you have alot of guts to kidnap them in their own home :doh: sometimes children exspecially young ones are just too trustworthy of adults and sometimes its too late when they find out what they are really like :twocents:

The abductor wasn't that well known to the family. He'd been hired for just a day or two, months and months before, and I'm not sure his job involved going inside the house at all.

I don't see why kidnapping a child from their home would take any more resolve than kidnapping one off the street. I don't think it involves any more risk -- on the street you're more likely to be seen than you would be in a private house while everyone was asleep.

Because in this case the baby wasn't easy to get to or easy to find. Someone had to work REALLY hard to get this baby without being caught.

bykerladi said:
Because in this case the baby wasn't easy to get to or easy to find. Someone had to work REALLY hard to get this baby without being caught.
Agreed if you read the case the police believe hold hardly that it was someone well known to the family to be able to have access to the house firstly they left the door un-locked that night totally uncharacteristic of them so the perpertrator came in through there because there was NO forced entry. secondly Christopher was at the other end of his room all around the crib was stacks of junk a person unknown to the family would make a hell of a noise but strangly there was no noise and no crashing therefore the person had to have known the room REALLY WELL to have done this and gotten away with it. last but not least the parents themselves are STILL suspect in his disaperance becasue of evidence that points to them :twocents:

This has always felt like a non-family abduction to me. If Christopher was abducted for adoption purposes, it could have been a friend of the family or an acquaintance who would have had access to the house and seen his room.

There was a case a few years ago where a house was set on fire and an infant girl, Delimar Vega, was presumed dead, but it turned out a woman who had visited her house before took her and set the fire to cover her tracks. Six years later her mother saw her at a birthday party and realized this was her daughter (the body was never found) and the woman had stolen her. It's an amazing story.

I hope one day Christopher will recognize his face and decide to come forward. I wonder how thorougly acquaintances/friends/etc were investigated at the time of the kidnapping.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back