GUILTY MI - Fred Johnson, 53, Scott & Melissa Berels, both 27, die in crime spree, Feb 2006

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Police investigate New Baltimore slayings
Bodies of 2 people found in home on Lempke Street

NEW BALTIMORE- Police found two people dead, victims of apparent homicide, Thursday evening inside a city home. Police found the bodies about 5:20 p.m. in a back bedroom at 50820 Lempke St.

Police have not identified the bodies, but Police Chief John Bolgar said if the bodies were the homeowners, the case could be considered a triple homicide because the woman was believed to be pregnant.

Police discovered the crime scene after one of the victims' parents contacted police because the couple had not shown up for work.

More: http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060217/NEWS01/602170301/1002

Oh how horrible!! I wonder if this was a robbery gone bad.

MrsMush99 said:
Oh how horrible!! I wonder if this was a robbery gone bad.
I'm trying to find another story on it right now. :(
Terrible.

Taken from the article posted by Prayersformaura:

Police are looking for information on a white Saturn with Michigan license plate XAE 280, which was owned by the residents of the home. When asked if he had a suspect, Bolgar said right now they are looking for the car. Sgt. Todd Leveille of the Michigan State Police post in Richmond said the car was stolen.

Keep an eye out for that vehicle, you never know, you could be right behind it in traffic.

New Baltimore Double Murder

There was a gruesome discovery made at a home in New Baltimore Thursday night, where two people were tied up and murdered. A young couple expecting their first baby lives at the home, but it is not known if they are the victims

...Chief John Bolgar, of the New Baltimore Police, told 7 Action News that there were signs of forced entry, but he does not believe this was a random crime.

"It looks like the individual took their time in this. So, right now, I think it would be a little early to speculate, but this doesn’t look like something that just occurred," Chief Bolgar explained. "We do know that the residents’ vehicle is missing."

More: http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_4475128,00.html

This is the first I heard, I cannot get the link to work!!

Police seek car in New Baltimore slayings

The New Baltimore Police Department is looking for help solving a double-homicide discovered Thursday afternoon.

Police said officers conducting a welfare check on a house on Lemke Street at 5:20 p.m. found a man and a woman dead inside. Their vehicle was also missing.

Police are looking for that vehicle, described as a white 1996 Saturn SL four-door sedan with a Michigan license plate of XAE 280.

Anyone with information on the case or who has seen that vehicle is asked to call (586) 725-2181.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060217/UPDATE/602170428

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/7166011/detail.html

Police are searching for two suspects who they believe have a connection to the double homicide of a husband and wife in New Baltimore.

The suspects are described as a white woman and white man. They are both prime suspects and are wanted for questioning after police discovered they attempted to use the victim's ATM card in downtown Detroit, Local 4 reported.

The suspects have been spotted twice, but police are still searching for them.

Police say the suspects were seen driving a powder-blue Chrysler Minivan in the New Baltimore neighborhood around the time of the slayings, according to the station's reports.

more at link....

It's on Fox News right now as the "Big Story" .. apparently the victims were wrapped were from head to toe in some sort of clear plastic.

Police think there's a man and woman that are persons of interest.
There's a girl scene walking into a store trying to use their cards to buy something.

The victims are a "normal couple" by description. Quiet as described by couples. Wife worked for a grocery store, husband worked for a manufacturing company.

http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_4476203,00.html

Friday evening, police revealed new details after a young couple was slain inside their New Baltimore home.

Scott and Melissa Berels were found Thursday night, murdered and wrapped in plastic inside their home. Both were 27-years-old and Melissa was 10 weeks pregnant.

Police believe a man and woman may be responsible for killing the couple. They said the suspects left the scene with the victim’s ATM card and Scott’s white 1996 Saturn SLT, license plate XAE280.

New Baltimore Police Chief John Bolgar said, "They were found completely wrapped in plastic wrap and taped in what will be referred to as a full body wrap. The only thing we could speculate at this point is a possible robbery only for the fact that one of the victim’s bank teller cards was attempted to be used today down in the city of Detroit. The individuals attempting to use the card were in the vehicle."

The male suspect is believed to be in his early 20s and is often seen wearing a full length leather coat and driving a powder blue Chrysler mini van.

Somewhere I'd seen a larger pic of the female suspect. Comparing the suspect to the victim, I see a faint resemblance between them... Probably nothing...

This is just horrible. The picture of the female in the blue sweatshirt is very clear I pray to God someone will turn them in fast! Did these people wrap them in plastic wrap to smother them? Is that how they were killed or is LE not saying how they were killed yet.? I don't understand the plastic wrap but then again I don't understand brutally murdering someone either so....guess it can't be explained unless any of you are psycho killers?!

Police hunt for New Baltimore killers
Husband and wife found slain, their car and ATM card stolen

NEW BALTIMORE -- Scott and Melissa Berels were entering a new phase of their lives. They had recently moved into a new home, a modest ranch in a quiet neighborhood that afforded a scenic view of Lake St. Clair. Melissa Berels had recently discovered she was pregnant.

But their lives came to a tragic end one day last week when someone entered their home, killed them, bound their bodies in plastic wrap and tape, then covered their bodies with a tarpaulin.

Police were still searching Friday for whoever killed Scott and Melissa Berels, both 27. In addition to the killers, investigators were also looking for a man and woman whom New Baltimore Police Chief John Bolgar called "persons of interest" in the case.

The woman police are seeking "might have been the last person to see the victims alive," Bolgar said.

More: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060218/METRO/602180452/1003

Police seek 4 in slayings
Pair tried to use victims' bank card; 2 others likely were last to see couple

NEW BALTIMORE- By all accounts, Scott and Melissa Berels lived in a quiet home in a quiet neighborhood. But some time Wednesday night or Thursday morning that all changed.

Police on Friday released additional details about people who may be involved in the couple's slaying. The FBI also is involved in the case.

...Police said they're trying to identify two possible suspects and two "persons of interest."
A black man and woman attempted to use a bank card belonging to Melissa Berels at the bank, but tellers were suspicious and alerted police. The pair fled before officers arrived, police said. No physical descriptions were available.

The two "persons of interest" were described as: A thin white male in his early 20s who is known to wear a long black coat. He is thought to be connected to a powder blue Chrysler or Plymouth minivan. The other is described as a white female, also in her 20s, who may have been one of the last people to see the victims alive.

More: http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060218/NEWS01/602180302/1002

Im confused as to what the POI's look like. In this article here it says ' a black man and women attempted to use her bank card'...the POI's are described as white..Is the black couple who attempted to use her bank card not considered as persons of interest as well?? Maybe i'm confused...

PrayersForMaura said:
Police seek 4 in slayings
Pair tried to use victims' bank card; 2 others likely were last to see couple

NEW BALTIMORE- By all accounts, Scott and Melissa Berels lived in a quiet home in a quiet neighborhood. But some time Wednesday night or Thursday morning that all changed.

Police on Friday released additional details about people who may be involved in the couple's slaying. The FBI also is involved in the case.

...Police said they're trying to identify two possible suspects and two "persons of interest."
A black man and woman attempted to use a bank card belonging to Melissa Berels at the bank, but tellers were suspicious and alerted police. The pair fled before officers arrived, police said. No physical descriptions were available.

The two "persons of interest" were described as: A thin white male in his early 20s who is known to wear a long black coat. He is thought to be connected to a powder blue Chrysler or Plymouth minivan. The other is described as a white female, also in her 20s, who may have been one of the last people to see the victims alive.

More: http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060218/NEWS01/602180302/1002

Ok DUHHH!! I'll reply to myself here I just saw in big black bold letters that police are seeking 4 people....please disregard my last post! :bang:

Mygirlsadie said:
Im confused as to what the POI's look like. In this article here it says ' a black man and women attempted to use her bank card'...the POI's are described as white..Is the black couple who attempted to use her bank card not considered as persons of interest as well?? Maybe i'm confused...

Leads flood into police

...Police said a black couple was seen driving the vehicle Friday morning in Detroit, where they attempted to use the ATM card at the Fifth Third Bank on the corner of Gratiot and Eight Mile. A suspicious bank teller alerted authorities, but before Detroit police could arrive, the pair became agitated and drove off. The Saturn remains missing.

Bolgar said authorities also are looking for two other "persons of interest." They are:

• Patrick Alan Selepak, 28. He is described as thin and is known to wear a long black leather coat. He is thought to drive a powder blue Chrysler or Plymouth minivan.
  • Samantha Jean Bachynski, 20. She is described as heavyset and dark-haired. She was identified from images taken by a surveillance camera at a CVS pharmacy in Chesterfield Township. Bolgar said Selepak was seen talking to Melissa Berels in the hours before the slayings. He said Bachynski may have been one of the last people to speak with Melissa Berels. Both Selepak and Bachynski are believed to live in the New Baltimore area.
More: http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060219/NEWS01/602190301/1002

This is so sick, wrapped them in plastic, that gives me chills...

Town clings to faith, reaches for answers
Friends recall excited parents-to-be

IRA TOWNSHIP -- Clutching white candles and struggling to hold back tears, Leonard and Grace Norus were among about 100 people who crammed into a small rural church Sunday to honor the memory of two slain parishioners.

..."She was very outgoing and friendly. She always talked to everyone," Parrot said. "They had just found out that she was pregnant, and she was very happy about that. They were clearing out a room and painting it for the baby. They had just bought the house a little while ago.

...The slayings of the young couple stunned the community on Anchor Bay. News of the tragedy came just a day after the men who murdered 16-year-old Justin Mello pleaded no contest to killing the pizza shop employee five years ago. The Mello case was the first murder in New Baltimore in more than 30 years.

More: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060220/METRO/602200327/1003

Police look for second car in slaying
Pair still sought in investigation of couple's deaths

NEW BALTIMORE- Police said Sunday they are continuing to track down leads in last week's slaying of Melissa and Scott Berels. ...On Sunday, Police Chief John Bolgar said authorities were looking for a four-door 1991 gray Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera with some rust but no major body damage with a Michigan license plate AFK-1894. Police would not elaborate on what role the vehicle may have in the investigation.

In addition, Bolgar said police no longer are looking for a powder-blue minivan but are continuing to search for the victims' 1996 Saturn SLT with Michigan license plate XAE-280. Also missing is the couple's ATM card.

More: http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060220/NEWS01/602200303/1002

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back