http://www.charleyproject.org/images/m/moulton_cathy.jpg
Left and Center: Moulton, circa 1971;

http://www.charleyproject.org/banners/bar.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: September 24, 1971 from Portland, Maine

Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: June 28, 1955
Height and Weight: 5'4, 98 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, blue eyes. Moulton's four eyeteeth have been removed and she wore braces on her teeth and thick eyeglasses with heavy dark-colored plastic frames at the time of her disappearance in 1971. Moulton has scars on both of her feet from wart removal. She has a white spot on her left elbow and flat moles are scattered across her back.
Clothing Description: A navy blue all-weather coat, a navy blue pant dress and brown leather shoes.

Details of Disappearance
Moulton planned to attend a YWCA dance during the evening hours of September 24, 1971 in her hometown of Portland, Maine. She asked her father to drop her off on Cumberland Avenue that afternoon. Moulton wanted to purchase a pair of pantyhose and toothpaste before preparing for the dance. She stopped by a music store on Forest Avenue later in the day to visit a friend. She told her friend she would walk home and would see her at the dance that evening.

Moulton was last seen walking down Forest Avenue to head home. Her residence was about a mile and a half away. She was carrying a brown leather Mexican clutch purse which contained her house key, two tubes of toothpaste, and a very small amount of cash, not even enough for a bus ticket. She never arrived home and has not been seen again. Her parents reported her missing after she was not home by dinnertime.

Some agencies may report that Moulton left her residence in 1971 with her friend Lester Everett (sometimes spelled "Everette"). The accounts claim that Moulton and Everett drove to Mars Hill, Maine in a stolen 1963 blue Cadillac. They reportedly traveled to Perth-Andover in New Brunswick, Canada afterwards. Everett was located alone sometime afterwards. He said he did not know where Moulton was.

In November 1971, two months after Moulton disappeared, a witness claimed to have seen her at a gas station in Presque Isle, Maine, north of Portland. Her father went to Presque Isle to investigate, but was unable to confirm the sighting.

In 1983, a hunter said he came across a skeleton in the woods near Smyrna, Maine, surrounded by female clothing. Some investigators believe the remains were Moulton's. The hunter was unable to retrace his footsteps and lead police back to the site, however, and the bones were never found. In 2004, investigators began to look for them again. Moulton's case was reopened in the 1980s, but no evidence was uncovered regarding her whereabouts. She was a junior at Deering High School at the time of her disappearance. Investigators do not believe she ran away; she gave no indication that she was unhappy at the time of her disappearance. Her disappearance remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Portland Police Department
207-874-8533
OR
Portland Public Safety Department
207-874-8300

it was a shame that the hunter could not retrace his steps so he could find that skeleton again :doh: . to me that sounds like her alright, i mean the hunter did find a bag (info from another site) right next to it that had some of the products that she bought that day. i too believe that she is not a run-away

35 Years ago...

Cathy Marie Moulton
Missing since September 24, 1971 from Portland, Cumberland County, Maine.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: June 28, 1955
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2, 100 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; blue eyes. She wore thick eyeglasses with a heavy dark plastic frame.
Marks, Scars: Moulton has scars on both of her feet due to wart removal. She has a white spot on her left elbow. Moulton has flat moles scattered across her back.
Clothing: A navy blue all-weather coat, navy blue pant dress, brown shoes and a brown leather clutch purse.
Dentals: Moulton had her four eye teeth removed and braces on her teeth at the time of her disappearance. Her teeth were in good condition.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Moulton was a junior at Deering High School when she disappeared on September 24, 1971. She planned to go to a dance that evening at the YWCA and asked her father if he'd drop her downtown so she could buy a new pair of panty-hose and a tube of toothpaste. She got out at Cumberland Avenue.

This much is known about what happened next: Cathy finished her errands. She stopped by a downtown music store and told a girlfriend she was heading home to get ready for the dance and would see her at the dance that evening. Then she started out on foot down Forest Avenue for the 1.5-mile walk home.

That was the last time anyone who knew her saw Cathy Moulton.
When Moulton disappeared, she had in her possession a new pair of pantyhose for the dance that evening - the pair she was wearing had a run -two tubes of toothpaste, her house key, and a small Mexican handbag that didn't even contain enough money for the city bus fare.

Moulton was initially suspected of being in the Boston area, though more recent efforts have been focused to the north of Portland. At the time of her disappearance, police had few clues into the teenager's disappearance until a hunter emerged from the Smyrna woods in 1983, claiming that he'd found the skeleton of an individual surrounded by female clothing. But the hunter was unable to retrace his steps and lead authorities back to where he said he saw the remains.

Portland police believe that Moulton had been visiting around the Mars Hill area in 1971 before she was dropped off at a camp in Smyrna. After the hunter reported finding the remains, police searched for three days until snowfall hampered the investigation.

Portland Detective Sgt. Daniel Young said that the teenager may have been with people from Smyrna, far northern Maine, or even Canada around the time of her disappearance.

Investigators
If you have any information on this case, please contact:

Portland Public Safety Department Missing Persons Unit 207-874-8300
OR
Portland Police Department Det. Sgt. Thomas P. Joyce Jr. 207-874-8533
OR
Maine State Police 800-924-2261 or 207-532-5400

NCIC Number: M-724733669
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
CPEA
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
The Portland Press Herald
Around Maine
Bangor Daily News
The Doe Network: Case File 20DFME

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/20dfme.html

LYMAN AND CLAIRE MOULTON OF Portland, Maine, have been keeping a private vigil for 37 years for the 16-year-old daughter they knew - and her alter ego, a 52-year-old woman they can't imagine - hoping against hope she's still alive. Their ordeal began the afternoon of September 24, 1971, when Cathy Marie Moulton got a ride into town from her father to buy pantyhose for the YWCA dance she planned to attend that night. She was supposed to walk the 2 miles back along busy Forest Avenue but never made it home for dinner. "One of my greatest - greatest, greatest - sadnesses is that I may die ... and never know what happened to Cathy," says her 83-year-old father, a retired auto dealer, his blue eyes turning moist. "And yet I'm helpless to change it."

Former Portland detective William Deetjen, who worked the case in the late 1980s, theorizes that, after shopping in Portland, Cathy accepted a ride in a Cadillac from a boy she liked. Weeks later, there were unconfirmed sightings of the pair and another male in remote, sparsely populated Aroostook County - about 300 miles north of Maine's largest city - but no solid evidence she had been there or had been abducted.

For years, her parents have been tormented by something one of the purported witnesses said: that Cathy, working in the potato fields, kept begging to go home. "I've always held out the hope that, maybe, somehow, she has amnesia as a result of a beating or something," says Claire Moulton, a 78-year-old former nurse, "and she is alive and has a life and doesn't know who she is."

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/02/03/return_to_me/?page=3

Your heart goes out to the Moulton's. Cathy sounds like a really lovely girl who would never put her parents through this sort of pain. I fear her poor old dad will go to his garve never knowing what happened to his daughter.

It states this on the doenetwork site. What is that supposed to mean?

Portland police believe that Moulton had been visiting around the Mars Hill area in 1971 before she was dropped off at a camp in Smyrna.

[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/20dfme.html[/FONT]

From what I have read, she left the YWCA dance with two men and was never heard from again. There were rumors that she was seen picking potatoes on a farm in Smyrna, Maine in 1971, however those reports are unconfirmed.

I am working up the courage to send Portland PD those links. :) I just wish dental records were available.

Check this out...apparently someone named Larry saw her leave the dance with a boy. Larry made a request for Brian to do a reading on her. I wonder if the police or her parents are aware of this.

http://www..com/MISSING/publicr/596.htm

Check this out...apparently someone named Larry saw her leave the dance with a boy. Larry made a request for Brian to do a reading on her. I wonder if the police or her parents are aware of this.

http://www..com/MISSING/publicr/596.htm

Well, no offense gawdess but IMO Brian is nothing but a predator to the families of the missing. Or as we say around these parts, phonier than a $3 bill.

So sad that the hunter was never able to retrace his steps. A good hunter would have left a trail....... I'm just sayin'. (Especially when human remains are found, geesh.)

I always thought that Cathy never made it to the dance. She went to the store to get toothpaste and hosiery and was walking back home to get ready for the dance and disappeared on the way. Her parents reported her missing when she did not make it home for dinner that night.......

Thats exactly what I thought too! Then I saw this testimony on Brian's Predictions from "Larry". How strange!

I just sent an email to Brian to let him know that "Larry" may want to contact LE with any information he has. I have never heard anyone say Cathy was at that dance.

Just an FYI...this (BP) site is not supposed to be listed at websleuths.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back