NM NM - David Miera, 2, Dixon, 10 Jan 1970

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1278dmnm.html

David Joseph Miera
Missing since January 10, 1970 from Dixon, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: March 7, 1967
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 2 years old
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Hispanic male. Light brown hair; brown eyes. Eyes slightly set appart. He has wide feet. He was large for his age.
  • Marks, Scars: Birth mark on upper mid-back.
  • Dentals / Fingerprints: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Miera was last seen on January 10, 1970 in Dixon, New Mexico, a small rual town inbetween Espanola and Taos of northern New Mexico.
According to reports Miera did not wander off on his own, and may have disappeared with a couple living in a bus, while his mother was hospitalized January 10, 1970 through January 11, 1970.

Site with info: a unclear picture of David closer to 2 and half (when he disappeared) a picture of the man that he was last seen with (Mother's BF).

http://www.sssalas.com/DavidMiera.html

...David had on new winter clothes, his hair was brown with light highlights, straight and thick, he had wide
feet, his face full and narrowed at the chin, his lips were not thin nor full, brown eyes, and was very big
for his age...

I just found this sight and I am still looking for any information regarding this case and would like some help..I am not sure how all this works but there was a recent article in the ABQ journal about him and I would like to get someplace with this I hope.
We do have our DNA registered with the FBI and Center for Missing and Exploited kids.
Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated!

I wasn't able to read the full article, because I don't have a subscription. I was wondering anyway, I noticed that there were 3 different explanations for what Zerfas said that happened (on one of the sites that I looked at). The couple from Santa Fe, a couple that lived in a bus, and his sister. Did Zerfas tell different people different things, or did he just give Genie different stories over a period of time? Did the police ever interrogate Zerfas? Where did Zerfas end up living after this? Does Zerfas have any locatable family that he may have confided in?

You can read the entire article after answering two questions. I did not have to give any personal information to answer the questions. One was if I drank Starbucks and the other was how often I went on vacation. As soon as I answered, the remaining article appeared. EElia111 is a sister to David. Her Mom was in the hospital giving birth to her when David went missing. Zerfa is Eeilia's father and was the boyfriend to Genie, David's Mom. When she got home after being in the hospital, David, his clothes and toys were gone.

Zerfa was known to be cruel to children and abusive to women. Locals believe David is no longer alive, but there have been searches in the area and bones have never been found.

The article states no one really helped. Genie did not report David missing for about a year. They had moved to Southern California and Zerfa probably forced her not to mention his disappearance. After a violent fight, Genie and Eelia left Zerfa and returned to NM and reported David missing.

It appears he gave Genie different answers at different times. They were hippies living a life that was very popular among young people during the 70's and did not have many resources. Mom (Genie) never gave up finding David and Eelia has promised to keep looking.

After what I have read, I am not very optimistic David is still with us.

Eelia, I am very sorry about your brother David. It sure seems like if he is alive he is with people who loved him. This is a very sad story and I do hope you can find answers. I am glad your Mom went on to have a large family of brothers and sisters for you. I really would not know where to start myself.

Maybe going back to that area or looking for someone on social media who lives there can yield some information. It appears to be a very small town.

Aww that is the saddest story...poor little fellow. And bless mom's heart for all those years left wondering.
Did Zerfas have any friends or acquaintances still left in that town?
What the neighbor Chilton says ( in the linked article) is rather chilling.
I wonder if forensic HRD dogs could possibly be used in that area?

Poor David, either he is sadly gone, or out there possibly wondering who he really is.

You can read the entire article after answering two questions. I did not have to give any personal information to answer the questions. One was if I drank Starbucks and the other was how often I went on vacation. As soon as I answered, the remaining article appeared. EElia111 is a sister to David. Her Mom was in the hospital giving birth to her when David went missing. Zerfa is Eeilia's father and was the boyfriend to Genie, David's Mom. When she got home after being in the hospital, David, his clothes and toys were gone.

Zerfa was known to be cruel to children and abusive to women. Locals believe David is no longer alive, but there have been searches in the area and bones have never been found.

The article states no one really helped. Genie did not report David missing for about a year. They had moved to Southern California and Zerfa probably forced her not to mention his disappearance. After a violent fight, Genie and Eelia left Zerfa and returned to NM and reported David missing.

It appears he gave Genie different answers at different times. They were hippies living a life that was very popular among young people during the 70's and did not have many resources. Mom (Genie) never gave up finding David and Eelia has promised to keep looking.

Eelia, I am very sorry about your brother David. It sure seems like if he is alive he is with people who loved him. This is a very sad story and I do hope you can find answers. I am glad your Mom went on to have a large family of brothers and sisters for you. I really would not know where to start myself.

Maybe going back to that area or looking for someone on social media who lives there can yield some information. It appears to be a very small town.
Thank you, I looked right past the questions, thinking it was just some type of advertisement, some detective I am! It is a very sad story. Hopefully he did get given to some family. I can picture some hippies accepting to take care of him. Does anyone know how hard it would have been to get a child a new social security card etc. back in the early 1970's?

Thank you, I looked right past the questions, thinking it was just some type of advertisement, some detective I am! It is a very sad story. Hopefully he did get given to some family. I can picture some hippies accepting to take care of him. Does anyone know how hard it would have been to get a child a new social security card etc. back in the early 1970's?

I was born in 1954 and we were not issued social security cards at birth as they do now. We applied for them when we got our first job. I don't remember, in the 1970s, that being the case, either, but I could be wrong. It was different then.

Aww that is the saddest story...poor little fellow. And bless mom's heart for all those years left wondering.
Did Zerfas have any friends or acquaintances still left in that town?
What the neighbor Chilton says ( in the linked article) is rather chilling.
I wonder if forensic HRD dogs could possibly be used in that area?

Poor David, either he is sadly gone, or out there possibly wondering who he really is.

We are actually following a lead he provided in the article regarding piled up rocks...so the FBI will be doing another search in the places my dad Zerfas put them. Not super hopeful but very grateful.

I could not locate anyone still in Dixon but have talked to a number of his friends with no leads

I wasn't able to read the full article, because I don't have a subscription. I was wondering anyway, I noticed that there were 3 different explanations for what Zerfas said that happened (on one of the sites that I looked at). The couple from Santa Fe, a couple that lived in a bus, and his sister. Did Zerfas tell different people different things, or did he just give Genie different stories over a period of time? Did the police ever interrogate Zerfas? Where did Zerfas end up living after this? Does Zerfas have any locatable family that he may have confided in?

Yeah I do not think the information about his sister came from him I believe it came from her daughter who has helped with the case but has a few things wrong.

In fact Zerfas (my dad) stuck to the same story of giving him to a couple in a bus....I am not to sure about the couple from SF I have never heard that.
My mother bless her heart did believe that he gave him to this couple in a bus who were supposedly graduate students from back east and the woman could not have kids. She described her as being Nordic and a photographer I think. She also thought the last name might be Phelps or Phillips. Not much to go on really. Of course we have no idea if he was telling the truth to her because of his abusive behaviors. I can hope for the best but reality is reality her was very very abusive! I was actually hospitalized about three times before I was 4 months old so to expect my brother to be alive is hard but I still hold out hope for the better theory because she new so much about these people

Yeah I have done all that and more lol We do have family DNA registered as well. I know most people do not think he is alive and sometimes I think why should I keep trying but the fact is that my mother never stopped looking for him God rest her soul and when we do find him dead or alive we can be a complete family. I just have a burning feeling about the hole thing in other words I am inflamed to continue this search even if it takes my whole life

Yeah the social security wasn't mandatory then I do not think because I got mine in CA at the age of four so it would have been pretty easy compared ot today's standards I would think. My mom truly believed that so I try to hold out hope for the best

Yeah I do not think the information about his sister came from him I believe it came from her daughter who has helped with the case but has a few things wrong.

In fact Zerfas (my dad) stuck to the same story of giving him to a couple in a bus....I am not to sure about the couple from SF I have never heard that.
My mother bless her heart did believe that he gave him to this couple in a bus who were supposedly graduate students from back east and the woman could not have kids. She described her as being Nordic and a photographer I think. She also thought the last name might be Phelps or Phillips. Not much to go on really. Of course we have no idea if he was telling the truth to her because of his abusive behaviors. I can hope for the best but reality is reality her was very very abusive! I was actually hospitalized about three times before I was 4 months old so to expect my brother to be alive is hard but I still hold out hope for the better theory because she new so much about these people

My heart goes out to you, this is such a sad story and so difficult as Z is your Dad- David your brother. hugs your poor Mom. god bless her soul. Bless you!

Although the story about the graduate school east coast couple on the bus who could not have kids is a hopeful one, :-( it seems unlikely. Did he also give his belongings to them as well? would they have taken a baby and all his belongings on a cross - country bus?

You mentioned all the belongings were gone. Did David have a lot of clothes toys and such? would someone just throw that all away? Do you know what sort of habit he had? did he need $? I don't know why my thoughts go to goodwill stores and such- or anyone who might remember him giving away, selling, or disposing things?

I also found the stories about the piles of rocks "chilling" as someone said and wonder about K9s- am glad that is being followed- up on.

What about the yard at the home that they lived in? I wonder if ground penetrating radar would reveal anything?

Just thinking- over here. (I know you all can smell wood burning.)
Thoughts are with you {{{{EM}}}}}}

I was born in 1954 and we were not issued social security cards at birth as they do now. We applied for them when we got our first job. I don't remember, in the 1970s, that being the case, either, but I could be wrong. It was different then.

I was born in the 70's but didn't get a SS card until I was about nine years old, in the mid-80's. My parents said they weren't required for anything before that, so they didn't apply until well after I was born. My husband and had our kids in 2005 and 2008, and we applied when they were born.

I live in NM and have heard a little about David's case now and then. I'm in Albuquerque, the biggest city, which is several hours south of the place he disappeared from. But even now, it's a very desolate, sparsely-populated area up there. I can definitely see where it would be easy to hide a body if this poor child was killed by Zerfas.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back