Judge issues tough sentence on underage drinking

I agree that we need to take it more seriously but i have a feeling this will be appealed and overturned. The trouble is that if the courts do issue sentences like this when a kid is young it might actually send a message and make a difference-the little slaps on the wrist and fines don't do much as evidenced by all the repeat offenders who are so young.

Good for this judge for using his position to issue sentences that are within his legal right. Too bad more persons of authority do not back people like this guy up and they just cowtow to the parents of the offenders who come begging to their offices for leniency.

The 30 days on the young guy's record (the guy in his 20's) may serve to remind him to not do it again, but then anything else that needs a record check will be screwed up the rest of his life. Child custody later in life, a decent job that requires a background check, all kinds of things.

I'm all for stopping underage drinking (as well as the drinking of adults who feel the need to drive) but I'm not sure if this is the way to do it. Maybe it is.

If the 20-something year old had been thinking about his future, he wouldn't have done this. I hold him and the ones who are underage, equally responsible. If more judges would start handing down harsher sentences, we might be able to lower the crime rate in this country. It has to start somewhere, and I don't believe giving them a slap on the wrist is the answer. I see a lot of kids going to parties and ending up in the hospital after drinking too much. Then the parents get blamed for not knowing what their kids are doing. A 17 year old knows the difference between right and wrong. If they screw up, they should be the ones to pay for the crime.....not the parents. I just think it's time we get tough on some of this stuff. JMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back