Colorado, what the heck?

Rocky

Former Member
Reaction score
Colorado court say that girls as young as 15 can marry 38 year old Pedoviles!!! And since they use the English commonlaw it says boys at 14 and girls at 12 yo can marry... :confused:

Girls Can Marry at 15, Colo. Court Finds

DENVER (AP) - A 15-year-old girl can enter into a common-law marriage in Colorado, and younger girls and boys possibly can, too, a state appeals court ruled Thursday.

While the three-judge panel stopped short of setting a specific minimum age for such marriages, it said they could be legal for girls at 12 and boys at 14 under English common law, which Colorado recognizes.

The appeal was filed by Willis Rouse, 38, who is serving time for escape and a parole violation. He argued that he and the girl began living together in April 2002 and applied for a marriage license a year later.

The girl had become legally independent by then, but her mother also consented to the marriage and accompanied the girl and Rouse to obtain a license, the ruling said.

A judge invalidated the marriage, saying anybody under age 16 needed judicial approval for either common-law or ceremonial marriage.

While Thursday's ruling found that the girl was old enough to marry, it did not conclude whether she and Rouse have a valid marriage. The court sent the case back to the trial judge to make that determination.

anyone want to cast a vote for Colorado on the Wall of Shame?

Rocky said:
Colorado court say that girls as young as 15 can marry 38 year old Pedoviles!!! And since they use the English commonlaw it says boys at 14 and girls at 12 yo can marry... :confused:

I read this and about fell out of my chair..........my God, what are they thinking- I have a 12 year old daughter.....it is not even conceviable, that someone could say she is capable of marriage....There are alot of days anymore, I wonder why I even read the news :bang:

Why would this state "recognize" English common law.....I am perplexed.....as the legal system is not based on the "English" system in the states are far as I knew.....but then I am Canadian and could be wrong when it comes to the states.

Anyone want to hazard a guess.....why this state.....

CyberLaw said:
Why would this state "recognize" English common law.....I am perplexed.....as the legal system is not based on the "English" system in the states are far as I knew.....but then I am Canadian and could be wrong when it comes to the states.

The legal system in the United States and most other English speaking countries is based on English Common Law. Common law is largely based upon tradition, some of which reaches all the way back to Roman law. In England, common law became the common (as opposed to every town or jurisdiction having it's own legal system) law of the nation about 800 years ago. This is where we get our concept of trial by jury, contracts, legal marriage, etc.

In the USA common law is more often used in civil cases rather than criminal, which seems to be the source of the problem in Colorado: marriage is a civil law matter however child molestation is criminal.

CyberLaw said:

Every state in the U.S., with the exception of Louisiana, bases it's laws on English Commom Law. Lousisana's laws are based on the French civil code.

CyberLaw said:

according to the article 10 states follow the "english system" I wonder who the other 9 states are?

Rocky said:

Yeah, this is the same state that couldn't solve the JBR murder

In texas goes back to at least pioneer times when it might be a year before minister or priest came to the settlements. Couple would declare themselves married to the community and have the marriage santified by clergy when he was in town.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back