ACLU probes Six Flags hairstyle ban

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Dark Knight

Reaction score
The American Civil Liberties Union is investigating complaints from more than a dozen black employees at a Six Flags theme park who were told their hairstyles were inappropriate.

Jonathan DeLeon, 17, was hired at Six Flags America in Largo, Md., in March to wear the costumes of Sylvester and Daffy Duck. A few weeks later, he said he was told to cut his braids, which were at least 3 feet long.

Though his mother cut more than 2 feet of his hair, park officials were dissatisfied, he said.

"They told me I had to cut them even shorter or go home," DeLeon told The Washington Post. "They said they wanted an all-American thing. That's what they said to all the black people. I had already cut it a lot, so I just left."

The 2006 Six Flags America handbook states that employees are not allowed to have "any hairstyle that detracts or takes away from Six Flags theming."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060617/ap_on_re_us/six_flags_hairstyles&printer=1

This sounds a bit racist to me, since the employees tried to comply. It isn't like they were wearing mowhawks!

If the work place is going to have a dress code they need to implement a more specific one. Dreads are not permitted in alot of work environments. A couple places here have a no dreads, face peircings or visable tattoo policies. Long hair has to be worn pulled back or in a single braid etc

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael C Vang
Back