OK OK - Cynthia Kinney, 16, Osage, 23 June 1976

Soonerbebe

Reaction score
Last seen working in the family owned laundrymat. Cyndi vanished from the laundrymat on June 23, 1976. No one seems to have seen anything. Her purse, drink, and donute with a couple of bites out of it were still there. Cynthia Dawn Kinney was 16 years old. She is case number 1365DFOK on the doenetwork. It would sure be nice to bring some closure to her family.

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: June 23, 1976 from Osage, Oklahoma
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: January 17, 1960
Height and Weight: 5'1, 97 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, brown eyes. Kinney's nickname is Cyndi.
Clothing Description: A peach-colored blouse and blue jeans.

Link http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kinney_cynthia.html

I was not sure how to post the information on Cyndi. Thank you. She is my husbands cousin.

Only the best,
Sooner

Your Welcome Sooner! Sorry this had to happen to your family.

Was there any suspects? I would like to learn more about her case.

We never really got any real answers. There was a bank being built at the time right across from the laundrymat. Some of the construction workers did not see anything. Some thought she left with someone. Rumors were crazy. At one point in time my husband and his brother went off chaseing "moonies".

My husbands brother was a police officer on the force at the time this happened. My uncle happened to be on the force as well. My uncle had heard of rumors traces of marijuana was found in a dryer. My husband does not recall this. But.... in 1976, he was only 16 or 17. I was only 8 or 9 years old. I have not had the chance to ask my brother-inlaw about it.

We have to be careful, as not to upset Cyndi's parents. Cyndi's moms health has not been good. They finally sold their home last summer and turned loose of alot of Cyndi's things. We do not want to open them up to any more pain. At this point in time, my husband, sister-inlaw, and myself are the only ones actively looking for her. I know in my heart she is gone. But, I would like to bring her home. And somebody needs to be held accountable for what they did to her.

Thank you for careing,
Sooner

Soonerbebe:

Was she alone at the laundromat when she disappeared? Any other employees there?

Hoppy

I am pretty sure my husband said she was alone. (he is asleep, or I would ask). It was early in the morning. When my mother in law got there, Cyndi was just gone.

You would think somebody would have seen something. My husbands parents owned the laundrymat. They hired Cyndi,(she is their niece) to help her out. They felt SO bad. I know they spent countless money and time searching for her. They even flew out to a well known psychic.

I personally have contacted 3 psychics. (out of desperation). I would be glad to share in private what they said. It makes me wonder.

Thank you SO much for your time,
Sooner

i'm sorry this case is sad, out of curiousity and intrege what did the psychics have to say on her case?

The psychic my mother and fatherinlaw used back in the late 70's, said she was in Kansas somewhere. He said he could find her, but that she did not know where she was. He felt she had passed.

The psychics I spoke with also say she is in Kansas. All three have described a man (amazingly similar). All three senced she found out something about this man he did not want known. They say he is someone known and trusted to the family.

We have thought and thought about this. It is hard to say. We have one or two people, that would sort of fit that description. But... cannot just go by that. We could not imagine them even doing anything like that.

I do wish, that we could solve this. Someone has gotten away with hurting her. I only pray...they never hurt anyone else.

Thanks for Careing,
Sooner

that could possibly explain why there was no evidence of a struggle, if she knew the person that something bad happened to her? :confused: :( and why noone thought there was anything wrong when they saw her with a man. possibly.

did they say that she was taken to Kansas? or dare i say it her body?:blushing: :( this is so sad, i beat she trusted the person she was with also which makes it sader.

Soonerbebe: Welcome! I hope you're able to meet some people here who can help publicize Cynthia's case.

What was the initial investigation of her disappearance like? Did the police investigate it as a runaway? What was Cynthia's life like at the time-- was she in high school? Did she have a boyfriend or any problems with anyone? How long had she been working at the laundry mat? Was it a summer job?
Did the police ever question anyone seriously (sex offenders, etc)?

I hope Cynthia will see justice one day.

All the psychics felt she is gone. I also feel in my heart, she is gone.

Cyndi's cousin was a police officer at the time ( my husbands older brother). My uncle was also a police officer at the time. I know they did their best to look for her. My brother-inlaw flew out of the country to a well known psychic back in the late eighties or early seventies. He and my husband even chased "moonies", out of fear they may have taken her, and brainwashed her.

I personally felt, there were other enforcement officials that could have done more. Looking back, I have some questions.

I am in a bad situation. My husband, sister-inlaw, and myself are the only ones actively still looking into her case. Cyndi's moms health is not well at all. She has had colon cancer, and I just found out yesterday..she is not doing well at all. I had thought she was doing better.

They have more or less given up. Last summer...they sold their old family home. They even turned loose of a lot of Cyndi's stuff. I DO NOT want to open them up to anymore pain.

I would like to bring them closure and justice someday. We do not want to bother them with anything, or let them know of our efforts. Untill we have some solid information or resolution. Please understand this. I know deep down, we should probably let it go. But....I just want justice for Cyndi and the entire family.
I was 8 or 9 years old, when Cyndi was taken. It was a small town and I knew her entire family. It really hit me hard, even as a young child. Then I end up married to her cousin years later. It still haunts me.

I really appreciate your careing. I hope to help others as well. Nobody deserves this. Cyndi was a very good girl, with lots of friends. She was popular in school. She made good grades. Everyone that knew Cyndi, loved her. She did not do drugs, or run around. Somebody took her. I hope and pray for them as well. I pray they never hurt anyone else.

Thank you again,
Sooner

this is a sad case, it sounds odd that she will just diaspear like that!. questions: was there a security camera in the laundromat? i know that nowadays they have them so if there was one was there a tape to look at? another one: was there anyone else in the laundromat just before cynthia's aunt left? they could be a suspect ;) where there any people standing outside the laundromat (besides the construction workers) that is?

personally i would not have left her in the laundromat by herself even if she was 16 years old. her aunt does she have any clues to what could have happened to her? e.g did she see anyone hanging around their before she left that were acting suspicious?
and lastly why did your aunt have to leave? the reason i ask this is that if she was taken by someone that she knew that person could have known that her aunt was going to leave for a period of time and could have striked then.
personally i don't see this as being a runaway case :silenced: because why would she leave all her stuff there really casually as if she expected to come back? :cool: :twocents:

i'm sorry for the pain your family must be going through
P.S. have you found any clues to this case since you now are actively looking for cynthia? no matter how small the tip or clue it could lead to finding her :blowkiss:

I will have to ask my husband, or sister-inlaw. I am not sure who was in there, if anyone. My mother-inlaw now has alzheimers. (middle stages). So, she is not of a lot of help anymore. This has always haunted her. she has always felt a great deal of guilt.

Unfortunatly, there was not a security camera there in those days. Pawhuska is a VERY small town. Everybody knows everybody. I think we have 3,000-4,000 people. It was not uncommon in those days, for people to even leave their homes unlocked. Cyndi would open the laundrymat, then Rhetta would come in shortly after to help her. She did it as a way to help Cyndi earn some money. My husbands parents had money back in those days. Before My father-inlaw passed away...they were pretty well off. They had a huge ranch and owned several bussinesses in town. The laundrymat was just one of them.

I have not been able to really find anything yet. But, I keep looking. You are SO right, sometimes it is just that one missing piece that can be the big break to solve these cases.

Thank you all for all the help and support you have given me,
Your friend Sooner

You are very much welcome :rolleyes: i could only imagine what it would feel like to loose someone so close to me however, i know what it's like to thinks someone has gone and then you find them it's scary as!:mad:

if i was in this position i would feel extremely guilty as well like her aunt but she can't go on blaming herself only the person that hurt cynthia should feel alot of guilt and sorrow for what he/she did to her :banghead:

that's the trouble i see with small towns everyone is trusting of everyone and this person could have taken advantage of this in her case e.g. getting close to her enought to snatch her.

do you have any theories on what could have happened to her yourself?

all the best wishes on your hunt for the truth and cynthia's return
bless you all,
Khavna :angel:

Soonerbebe: I am so sorry for what your family's been through. When something horrible like Cynthia's disappearance happen, the ripples can last a really long time.

It seem like, if this was such a small town, more than one person must know something about Cynthia's case (seen something that day, heard something suspicious later). Unfortunately, a lot of information is lost in the early stages of cases because police assume that the person has run away. I don't think this was true for Cynthia, but I wanted to understand if the police had any reason to think so. Cynthia sounds like a very happy, loved girl, and I am sure she would have contacted your family if she could.

It may be helpful to try and get coverage of Cynthia's case in local newspapers and TV stations (as this is the 30th year she's been gone). Many families of missing people have rallies or walks to get the word out-- this could make people re-think and contact police about things they have heard or seen. It only takes one lead. Unfortunately, this may bring up painful memories for your family that they can't handle right now. Even creating a website with pictures & information about Cynthia could help.

i have reason to believe that cynthia is not a runaway, to me her disperance itself sounds suspicious to me :chicken: she left everything behind at the laundromat usually a runaway takes something with them.

i have one theory and keep in mind it's just that ;) maybe when cynthia's aunt left that night cynthia might have thought to leave the laundromat for a few minutes to get something and never returned? that's what i was thinking today :blushing: where their any shops near the laundromat? such as snack shops etc that she could have accessed within a few minutes?
also where there any cars in the parking lot even if there was noone in the laundromat itself?
i hope you will find some answers soon :blowkiss: P.S. did her parents find any clues to her disaperance and where they actively looking for her at the time? also you say the psychics said she was in Kansas how far away is Kansas from the small town?

good luck with your search :clap:

Thank you again guys. There were no snack shops down the street. There was a little gift store at the time, the little old lady working there was a real sweetheart. Unfortunatly, her vision was not good. She was a very open and honest person. Sadly, she did not notice anything.

Cyndi did not work nights, she worked early morning. She would go in, of a morning. My mother-inlaw would come in shortly after. Cyndi was not alone for long.

Kansas is only 20 minutes from Pawhuska. So, it would be possible. It is a straight shot.

As for my own personal theories. I have two. I do not have any evidence, but it is just a couple of thoughts.

1. The bank was being built across from the laundrymat when this happened. Some construction worker might have taken her. They were guys from all over. (contractors).

2. She witnessed somebody drying marijuana in a dryer.
Osage county at that time was a wild place to live. Small towns often have a lot of coruption, I am going to leave it at that. You can fill in the blanks. Some of these things still go on.

I hope someday to be able and get media coverage on her. But, I cannot do that until Cyndi's parents are okay with it. Cyndi's mom is not doing well at all. Please keep her in your prayers. She has quit taking her chemotheropy.
Until the family says it is okay, I will search quietly. I often pray someone else would pick up the story and run with it. This way....it would not be one of us. I am just not sure if Don and Markie could handle it.

Thank you guys for everything,
Sooner

my prayers go out for cyndie's mom :innocent: how sad :eek: your theory of the construction workers is interesting and plausable :D if they were right over the other side of the road you would think at least ONE of them would have seen something odd :eek: (the contractor theory is good as well the construction worker could have come from Kansas considering its only 20 minutes away!)

your second theory astounded me :blushing: maybe that's the thing the psychics were talking about her knowing something this 'man' din't want anybody else wanting to find out :confused:

i hope one day justice will prevail, if i was her mother i would want to know the truth no matter how hard and painful it would be to accept it.

good luck in your search soonerbebe :woohoo: P.S. i hope one day there is a TV station that is dedicated just for the missing and cynthia's case will be out for everyone to know.
also going with the construction theory maybe cynthia was inticed to go over to the other side of the street to talk to one of them (or get help for something) and maybe that's why noone saw anything odd that morning?

were there any construction workers in particular that your husbands family befriended? I ask this because maybe she found something out about him and he took her, maybe he was from Kansas. Im not big on the whole psychic thing, but the theroy makes sense. Maybe it was a construction workers marijuana? I dont know just wanted to find out if the family had befriended a worker. and to let you know im very sorry for all that your family has went through. I will be praying for her mother.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back