TX TX - Bertha Barrientos, 27, El Paso, 4 Feb 1981

Old Broad

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_3996670

For 25 years, Esperanza Nino waited in anguish for police to catch the man suspected of killing her daughter, a University of Texas at El Paso graduate, a mother of two who had dreams of becoming a lawyer.
Wednesday, police told Nino that the suspect had been arrested in Mexico City.

Sergio Calderon Barrientos, now 54, was arrested and charged with the 1981 slaying of his estranged wife, Bertha Barrientos, then 27. She was shot four times while standing on the lawn of her East El Paso home.

Much more at link.
Old Broad

Good catch, Old Broad. The cold case squads seem to be really active lately.

These couple of paragraphs were interesting to me:

District Attorney Jaime Esparza said Barrientos will be prosecuted in Juárez under a Mexican federal law, called Article 4, that allows for the prosecution of Mexican citizens for crimes committed abroad. If convicted, he could face up to 30 years in prison.

Nino said she thinks Barrientos killed her daughter on their wedding anniversary because he was upset that she wanted a divorce. The two were living in separate homes at the time of the slaying.

30 years in a Mexican prison - that will really be justice! Also said the 2 sons are going to Juarez to confront the father about taking their mother away.

Thank you Reader.
I have to admit that I'm fasinated by cold cases, I hate the thought of someone getting away with such a terrible crime as murder and it's a good thing when someone finally is caught and must face up to what they did.
This young woman had so much to live for, 2 little children to raise and going forth with her plans for law school, what her killer did was rob us all of a valuable member of the human race!

Old Broad

Kudos to you Old Broad! Love to hear about a solved cold case!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back