KS - Levi Boothe, 11, stabbed to death, Leavenworth County, 27 Aug 2002

Hi Old Broad :)

What a horrendous story!! L-O-N-G article - but, I did read it all.

I'm a bit confused here. This article was written on Aug. 29th, 2002 - 3 years and 10 months ago.

What happened?
Was there an update or conclusion to this story?
What am I missing?

13th Juror

I read it as well but did not take notice of the date..

I am curious to know what else happend?? Just sooo awful.
My disabled son is 11 and I cannot imagine. To abandon him or do anything to hurt or even upset him is incomprehensable to me.

I found another article that gives more details to just what happened to poor Levi.

AP - The man accused of killing his autistic, disabled son told
authorities he attacked the boy because he was "evil."
Raymond Boothe, 34, of Cameron, Mo., has been charged with
first-degree murder in the death of his son, Raymond Levi Boothe, 11. He's
accused of stabbing the boy with needle-nosed pliers in a ditch along
Interstate 70 in Leavenworth County. Authorities say the boy, dragged back
to the side of the highway and left to die, was later hit by another
vehicle.

http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0209&L=tsalliance-prnt&T=0&P=9189

I know it's an older case, but I'm so surprised that I'd never heard about it before, and I live in Missouri and work with disabled also.

Old Broad

My son is autistic.. I can't read that article..

The only "Evil" is that this man wasn't killed in some inhumane way for what he did to that child.
I know on another thread I spoke of compassion for the mentally ill.
Maybe I should apply that to myself ... But I just can't understand this.

From what I gather, Raymond Boothe had been clean and sober for 8 years. In the early 90s he had been diagnosed with a mental illness but not treated. 3 weeks before he murdered his son, he had began acting weird and his family went to the police to ask for help. They were told there was nothing they could do because Boothe had not broken any laws.

Here's a later article:
Daddy was sick that day.

So say the surviving children of Raymond Boothe, who was sentenced Friday to 150 months -- or 12.5 years -- in prison for trying to injure three of them during the same 2002 incident in which a fourth child was killed...

Boothe, who has a history of mental illness, is already serving 16 years in prison for the August 2002 death of his disabled 11-year-old son, Levi, whom he stabbed and left for dead on the Kansas Turnpike in Leavenworth County.
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/mar/05/father_gets_12/

16 years for the murder of Levi....

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2004/jan/31/child_killer_gets/

Before the sentencing, Boothe's father, Eugene Boothe, of Eagleville, Mo., said his son had been hospitalized five times for mental illness since 1987.

"It seemed like they always stopped short of doing what needed to be done," Eugene Boothe said, referring to mental health workers in Missouri and Iowa. "By that I mean, he'd get better, they'd let him out and then there wouldn't be any follow-up and he'd have to go back in again."

Eugene Boothe said he had been told his son was bipolar, a term meaning he is prone to periods of irrational behavior.

"We had probably 10 people lined up who -- if this had gone to trial -- would have testified that the Ray Boothe who did this was not the Ray Boothe they knew," Eugene Boothe said. "Until this thing on the turnpike, he'd never been a violent person. He was good with kids."

Eugene Boothe added, "A lot of us tried to stop him, but it was too late. What could you do?"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back