Man brain rewires

That is so awesome! It has the picture of his daughter behind him, I wonder if she ever knew him, if it happened to him at 19.

Amazing.
Where there's life there's hope!

He must have started having kids young if he was only 19 when the accident happened.
Her whole life he must have been in a hospital bed.

There have been several recoveries after 20 yrs, we learned during the Terri Schiavo case.

She was saying a few words all along during the 15 yrs, knew what was happening when they removed the feeding tube, cried.

Seems that euthanasia activist doctors and a lawyer and judge used her for their agenda, right? Her brain only weighed less at autopsy because it was dried out, from 13 days of starvation/dehydration. It was surely recovering like this man's, even though she was isolated and given no therapy that a malpractice award was supposed to pay for, we all probably remember.

Sure hope it never happens to anyone ever again.

The daughter is a beautiful girl. I'm so glad she was kept in contact with him, at whatever level. So many Mom's would have shuttled the kids off into their own lives and not looked back. This makes me extremely happy.

Eagle1 said:
There have been several recoveries after 20 yrs, we learned during the Terri Schiavo case.

She was saying a few words all along during the 15 yrs, knew what was happening when they removed the feeding tube, cried.

Seems that euthanasia activist doctors and a lawyer and judge used her for their agenda, right? Her brain only weighed less at autopsy because it was dried out, from 13 days of starvation/dehydration. It was surely recovering like this man's, even though she was isolated and given no therapy that a malpractice award was supposed to pay for, we all probably remember.

Sure hope it never happens to anyone ever again.
Wallis was not in a persistent vegetative state. His brain "spontaneously rewired itself by growing tiny new nerve connections to replace the ones sheared apart in a car crash". Rewired, not regenerated.

If you read the article linked above, it specifically states "...doctors said the same cannot be hoped for people in a persistent vegetative state, such as Terri Schiavo..."

Oh. Dear. God. Here we go with the Schiavo debate again. Let's not, ok? Really? We've been there a million times already. Please?

I think this is great. I saw this case on TLC (I think) a year or so ago - he still thought he was 20. That's awesome for his daughter but I can't help but thinking it would be rather difficult to adjust too, also.

sandraladeda said:
Wallis was not in a persistent vegetative state. His brain "spontaneously rewired itself by growing tiny new nerve connections to replace the ones sheared apart in a car crash". Rewired, not regenerated.

If you read the article linked above, it specifically states "...doctors said the same cannot be hoped for people in a persistent vegetative state, such as Terri Schiavo..."
Terri Schiavo was not in a persistent vegitative state either! Her husband wanted you to believe that so he was free to get away with legalized murder. Terri could respond to simple questions,vocalize, and track with her eyes and had potential to swallow on her own, all of which was never re-examined with current brain scans and therapy because Michael wanted to move on with another woman. He didn't want Terri to recover and out him for abusing her.

Go to the bottom of this link:

http://health.discovery.com/convergence/medicalincredible/episodes.html

This aired on Discovery Health Channel. It was in January. They showed his coming to New York, I believe, to be checked over and analyzed at a rehab hosital there. Intersting story. He sometimes thinks his daughter is really his wife. I'm sure they'll rerun it again. The series that it was on is called Medical Incredible.

I won't get into the debate, but he'll never be perfect and return to the way he was when he was 19, but he functions.

BarnGoddess said:
Go to the bottom of this link:

http://health.discovery.com/convergence/medicalincredible/episodes.html

This aired on Discovery Health Channel. It was in January. They showed his coming to New York, I believe, to be checked over and analyzed at a rehab hosital there. Intersting story. He sometimes thinks his daughter is really his wife. I'm sure they'll rerun it again. The series that it was on is called Medical Incredible.

I won't get into the debate, but he'll never be perfect and return to the way he was when he was 19, but he functions.
Yep, that's what I saw - thanks. Guess it wasn't TLC - close though! I won't debate either, but it has to be bittersweet for the family.

Hbgchick said:
Yep, that's what I saw - thanks. Guess it wasn't TLC - close though! I won't debate either, but it has to be bittersweet for the family.

I wouldn't think that they can predict how far he will go in healing. They didn't think he would ever get this far. After being out of it for 20 years and only with it for 3 years you just never know what will happen.

I wonder if his legs and arms have been exercised over the years. It would be wonderful if he could be taught to walk again. I guess it all depends on what his brain is capable of telling him to do. I sincerely hope he comes a long long ways.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back