A Matter of Urgency: Missing Adults Cause

Kelly

Founder, Project Jason
Reaction score
Website
www.projectjason.org
Hello,

Whether you have someone missing in your life or not, and if you do, whether or not that person is young or old, we must ask for your help in a matter that is critical for families of missing adults.

For those of us in this specific situation, we've been the recipient of support and assistance from the National Center for Missing Adults. Now they need our help to in order to be able to continue their good work.

It will only take you a few minutes to read this, which will explain the situation and what we ask of you:

http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/2006/07/71006-matter-of-urgency.html

In those few minutes, several persons in this country will disappear. It could be your neighbor down the street. It might be your cousin or your grandson. It might not be anyone you know at all.

But what if it was?

Thank you.

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
http://www.projectjason.org
Read our Voice for the Missing Blog
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

I am so angry! Thank you for this information! I have put a link to this post in the Sharon Marshall forum, just in case they don't see it here! We have used the National Center on many occasions!

I do not have a missing person in my life, however, I know I would be devistated at this knowledge if I was one of the people who's family member was profiled there!

I will write my governor, my representative and the President, tonight! The more letters they have to wade through, the better!

I go the the NCMA site a lot. I am wondering, is this a duplicate of the doenetwork and the North American Missing Persons Network? I am wondering what is the difference in their criteriea and info provided. Does the NCMA basically need someone to purchase the site and take it over? (I am ignorant in what it takes to run a site). It seems every site I go to says they
need fundng or will be shut down. I understand the sense of urgency and the importance of the site. I am just trying to get a better picture of the prob. Are many people listed on teh NCMA that are listed nowhere else online? thanks for any info.

It is important that such a powerful resource not be lost over a lousy four million dollars a year (our government spends more than that on researching the mating habits of shrimp, forchrissakes!). Private organizations are valuable, but do not have the gravitas that a governmental organization has in getting LE to supply information.

Write your Congressional Representative and the President! We cannot go backwards in the march toward a rational response to the epidemic of the missing!

Dr. Doogie said:
It is important that such a powerful resource not be lost over a lousy four million dollars a year (our government spends more than that on researching the mating habits of shrimp, forchrissakes!). Private organizations are valuable, but do not have the gravitas that a governmental organization has in getting LE to supply information.

Write your Congressional Representative and the President! We cannot go backwards in the march toward a rational response to the epidemic of the missing!

Bingo! We can save the whales, but we can't save the people. It makes no sense sometimes. Disclaimer: I have nothing against saving whales, but people come first!

laini, NCMA has nothing to do with Doe Network or the North American Missing Persons Network. The NCMA has already been established as the national clearinghouse for missing adults. They already have in place all of the procedures and required data capture. It would be a waste of resources to start all over again with another group when the issue is only money withheld from the gov, not performance.

There is no exclusitivity to the persons listed on that site. The DOE Network is not a nonprofit and has an entirely different mission with the older cases and the unidentified. The links I provide on the blog will take you to the information about specifially what the NCMA does as required by the gov in their role as the national clearinhouse for missing adults.

Thank you.

Kelly

Find your US Senator: http://www.senate.gov/Find your US Representative: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Kelly, your letter is great! I will send it to my senators and representatives RIGHT NOW and encourage EVERYONE on this board to do the same!

(Just delete the part about a son being missing, because that's personal to Kelly)

Kelly said:
Bingo! We can save the whales, but we can't save the people. It makes no sense sometimes. Disclaimer: I have nothing against saving whales, but people come first!

laini, NCMA has nothing to do with Doe Network or the North American Missing Persons Network. The NCMA has already been established as the national clearinghouse for missing adults. They already have in place all of the procedures and required data capture. It would be a waste of resources to start all over again with another group when the issue is only money withheld from the gov, not performance.

There is no exclusitivity to the persons listed on that site. The DOE Network is not a nonprofit and has an entirely different mission with the older cases and the unidentified. The links I provide on the blog will take you to the information about specifially what the NCMA does as required by the gov in their role as the national clearinhouse for missing adults.

Thank you.

Kelly

Thank you Kelly. You answered my questions. :)

Hello,

If you haven't yet helped with our "Save the NCMA" campaign, I again ask you to take just a few minutes to help. (US based-readers only)

http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/2006/07/71006-matter-of-urgency.html

Last night I received an email from an NCMA employee, and it is not looking good. They are down to 2 case managers and only a handful of other neccesary employees. 2 case managers to handle the thousands of cases they have is certainly far from adequate, but they've had to cut to the bone. They are and have been working on several fronts to keep from closing, but nothing has come to fruition yet.

Please don't just read this and think to yourself what a sad situation it is.......take a few minutes to read the letter and act!

A link is provided at the bottom of the blog entry where you can find out who is your US Senator. If he/she has an email address, which most do, take my letter and edit out the sections which apply to me, and send it. Let's also send one to the White House. A link is provided for that as well.

Some helpers have been linking it on blogs, websites, and other forums. They've also been emailing it to their list. Please continue to do this.

Losing the NCMA has far reaching ramifications. Where will the 45,000+ families of missing adults go for assistance? The smaller orgs can't handle that volume. It will be devastating.

It should only take you 5 minutes to do this. I don't think 5 minutes is too much to ask of you for something that means so much and has such a wide ranging impact on the families.

Thank you for listening, and thank you to those of you who have already taken action.

Honoring Jason on this day, 5 years and one month since he disappeared.

Kelly

Thanks Kelly. I've written and have sent emails to friends. Good luck and God bless you. Prayers for Jason's safe return.

I just sent a letter to my senator. I hope they read them.

Some are also contacting larger media outlets. At this point, I think that is a good idea. The media can go right to the sources, perhaps easier than us, and put a little friendly pressure on the gov.

An update on our NCMA campaign

We're still not out of the woods for them. In essence, this is a small bandaid used to cover a large wound. We still need to keep pounding away to get the proper reimbursements and the funding from HR 2103.

I thank those who have helped with this, even though it may not neccesarily be your cause, or your specific cause. The thing that many don't realize though, is that it could become your cause. No one is immune.

Kelly

Kelly said:
An update on our NCMA campaign

We're still not out of the woods for them. In essence, this is a small bandaid used to cover a large wound. We still need to keep pounding away to get the proper reimbursements and the funding from HR 2103.

I thank those who have helped with this, even though it may not neccesarily be your cause, or your specific cause. The thing that many don't realize though, is that it could become your cause. No one is immune.

Kelly

You're absolutely right Kelly. This doesn't just happen to other people. This affects us all.

A heard back from my Senator (or his office) by email today.

Dear XXXXX:
I appreciate having the benefit of your views and concerns regarding
H.R.2103, Kristen's Act Reauthorization of 2005. Your input on this
matter is helpful to me. As I examine this issue, I will certainly give
your views every consideration.

Sincerely,

Tom Harkin
United States Senator

Any updates??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online