You stand a 99% chance

shiloh

Reaction score
Percent is another word I rarely use, probably even less frequently than country. I just don't think of things in terms of percentages -- I couldn't care less. But GUESS WHO does use it. Again, I just thought I'd point it out.

Phony Ransom Note:
You stand a 99% chance of killing your daughter if you try to out smart us.
Follow our instructions and you stand a 100% chance of getting her back.

Rocky Mountain News, Interview with JR, 7/18/97:
JR: "We became a way for the talk shows and the Geraldo Riveras to make a lot of money. One (supermarket weekly) said their revenue went up 30 percent when they started putting our stories on the first page.''

Larry King Live, 3/27/00:
KING: Why did they think it was you?
J. RAMSEY: Because the police always go after the parents. And we understood that after...
KING: The death of a child?
J. RAMSEY: Absolutely, 100 percent of the time.

LKL, 3/28/00:
VAN SUSTEREN: The only thing, John, the child, obviously, was very well taken care of. She had the best of everything, and the only sort of thing is whether or not did you lose your -- could someone lose his temper? That's the only thing.
J. RAMSEY: No, no. Greta, the key point, people say that 80 percent of the time (UNINTELLIGIBLE) is the parents.

Videotaped deposition of JR, Atlanta, 8/29/00:
22 Q. Mr. Ramsey, I take it, and
23 correct me if I am wrong, please, that the
24 fact that you sent two shirts as opposed to
25 one indicated you were not certain which of
1 the two you were wearing?
2 A. Well, I think that's what we did,
3 but I don't, I mean, I don't remember
4 exactly the logic. I know that we were
5 asked about shoes, and the picture didn't
6 even show shoes, so I couldn't remember what
7 shoes we had on. So was it to send all my
8 shoes or one hundred percent sure.

He uses the word percent more frequently that those I've cited here, but I didn't think it was fair to include those, since in those instances the interviewer was asking him about opinion polls, and those, of course, deal with percentages.

I found no instances at all of Patsy using the word percent in any of the copies of the interviews that I have.

I just found another one. I bet if I look further, I stand a 100% chance of finding more.

JR: “We had buried our child, she was at peace, she was safe. That was just an abhorrent thought to me,” he says. “We’ve got people that know what they’re doing that say with 95 percent medical certainty that a stun gun was used, no question.” Despite the uncertainty that leaves, he says he didn’t want to disturb his child.

shiloh said:
I found no instances at all of Patsy using the word percent in any of the copies of the interviews that I have.
The ransom note writer was playing the character of a small foreign factionist and speaking as the character, not as herself.

John's percentagespeak was stored in her brain along with the movie phrases.

Yup, the note is eclectic and John was one of the sources. Patsy was the personality multitasker, not John.

I'm not convinced that Patsy wrote the note. I know that's a common belief, and there are self-proclaimed experts who say that that is the case, but I'm still not convinced. The writing in the note more closely resembles John's to me. And it is his verbiage that I am finding in the note.

I'm not at all convinced that she was anything more than an accessory after the fact.

HOTYH, are you a Ramsey by any chance?

It does again have that circular motion where everything ends up back with the Ramseys, doesn't it? (the percentage talk.)

That is why the whole case leaves me dizzy.

There was so many if statements, that I thought the RN author had watched "Ruthless People" or was trained in statistical math. Much of the RN reads like a decision tree in Risk Analysis. "If" you go this way... until finally the 99% and 100% application.

I knew of one character (under the umbrella) who studied statistical math and he and his wife owed $18k each to JR and she was acquainted with people in prison. However, it ends there and doesn't push it over the top for me.

If you put aside the PR did it for a moment, then the perp was obviously concerned about "early delivery" and being on time. Coincidently, the movie that was watched at the Whites that night was called "Nick of Time" and was about the kidnapping of a 6 year old girl to force the father to do something ("follow their instructions to the letter") by a certain time and the time the alarm clock struck was 1:18. It was repeated over and over again that the father must "follow their instructions" by a certain time. The "Nick of Time" was 1:18.

There is no doubt in my mind that whoever wrote the RN was obsessed with time and decision analysis.

If PR was not involved and if the perp is watching out there, then he knows what I am talking about.

I also think its possible that John is the author of the Ransom Note.

He may have vetoed Patsy's initial staging and decided on an abduction scenario since it offered, in his estimation, the highest percentage in laying a false trail.

IMO assuming the existence of at least two stagings, one by Patsy and one by John, offer another valid interpretation of the forensic evidence, which is confusing otherwise.

Its even possible it was a joint-effort, with Patsy (sic) brain-storming, and John writing. Also the missing pages may have contained another scenario penned earlier by Patsy?

John as the author would help explain the dual staging strategy e.g. Garroting and Sexual Assault, and the Wine-cellar come barbie-gown as a putative bedtime abduction.

The writer of the note also contradicted him/her self. The note says that if the Ramsey's do this or that then "she dies" and that they will be monitored. I'd call this standing a 100% chance of JonBenet dying if the instructions were not followed. The note is so ridiculous and overly dramatic.

txsvicki said:
The writer of the note also contradicted him/her self. The note says that if the Ramsey's do this or that then "she dies" and that they will be monitored. I'd call this standing a 100% chance of JonBenet dying if the instructions were not followed. The note is so ridiculous and overly dramatic.

txsvicki,

I'd call this standing a 100% chance of JonBenet dying if the instructions were not followed.
It may have been a part of the intial staging that this warning or threat aspect to the ransom note was meant to partially explain away a dead body?

If I recall, JR studied marketing in college, someone refresh me on that one. Percentages in marketing presentations would be commonly and frequently spoken of.

Rupert you are amazing, did you give your information to the police?

Did the children watch that movie at the Whites? I would think it would have been in poor taste to show it to the children.

Rupert said:
There was so many if statements, that I thought the RN author had watched "Ruthless People" or was trained in statistical math. Much of the RN reads like a decision tree in Risk Analysis. "If" you go this way... until finally the 99% and 100% application.

I knew of one character (under the umbrella) who studied statistical math and he and his wife owed $18k each to JR and she was acquainted with people in prison. However, it ends there and doesn't push it over the top for me.

If you put aside the PR did it for a moment, then the perp was obviously concerned about "early delivery" and being on time. Coincidently, the movie that was watched at the Whites that night was called "Nick of Time" and was about the kidnapping of a 6 year old girl to force the father to do something ("follow their instructions to the letter") by a certain time and the time the alarm clock struck was 1:18. It was repeated over and over again that the father must "follow their instructions" by a certain time. The "Nick of Time" was 1:18.

There is no doubt in my mind that whoever wrote the RN was obsessed with time and decision analysis.

If PR was not involved and if the perp is watching out there, then he knows what I am talking about.
And decision making is a computer thing isn't it?

Rupert said:
"Nick of Time" and was about the kidnapping of a 6 year old girl to force the father to do something ("follow their instructions to the letter") by a certain time and the time the alarm clock struck was 1:18. It was repeated over and over again that the father must "follow their instructions" by a certain time. The "Nick of Time" was 1:18.
This is not correct Rupert. The 1:18 time was nothing of particular interest in the movie, it was just one of the many, many shots to the clock as events unfolded. In fact, the camera was on 1:18 for just a split second while it lingered on 1:19.

And I think the age of the little girl was not established in the movie.

This however, is a brilliant analysis.

Wouldn't be the first time someone's asked if they both did aspects of staging.

Paradox said:
I agree. Patsy was a cancer patient.

That was my thinking, if for no other reason than my dad lived with it for about two years and everything was time estimates and percentage of his chances.

Britt said:
I agree. Patsy was a cancer patient.
With a 40th birthday looming. With a daughter whose 7th birthday loomed.

Judgement from On High loomed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back