GUILTY ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, abducted and murdered, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 *arrest* #4

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Jury selection begins in trial of man charged in slaying of college student Dru Sjodin

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — In the three years since Dru Sjodin's kidnapping, Minnesota and North Dakota have made major changes in the way they handle sexual predators, keeping more of them locked up longer and supervising them more closely after they get out of prison.

Both states adopted tougher sentencing. Minnesota commits many more sex offenders to security hospitals after their prison sentences run out and North Dakota expanded its sex offender treatment program.

The changes are partly a response to Minnesota's decision not to commit convicted sex offender Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. in 2003, six months before 22-year-old Sjodin was abducted in Grand Forks, N.D.

"It led to a sea change in thinking about how we sentence dangerous sex offenders," said Eric Lipman, the sex offender policy coordinator for Gov. Tim Pawlenty.

more at:

http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/0706/dru_sjodin_ap.html

Thanks Jeana,

I noticed this earlier today and will keep my ears open for anything I learn about what's going on. I don't think we have any posters in Fargo, so every afternoon after lunch I'll check the local paper in Fargo for news updates.

I am thankful Minnesota and N Dakota have kept in step with what needed to be done as far as dealing with sexual predators goes. I've learned something new today in point, after all I have read, that these pervs never do get well. They will reoffend.

They have a plan or a scenario in their mind that drives them and after that urge is satiated they can have remorse, but whatever it is they dream of that gets them excited, comes back again and again. Always in their brain and nothing can change that.

Sad isn't it. But to hear their pathetic ,"I don't know why I did it" makes me want to treat them Arabian style and have the punishment reflect the crime. I know we will never do that in America, but it would certainly be just in my mind with a person like this that re-offends and has been told he has this particular problem. :banghead:

Nitey Nite Scandi

scandi said:
Thanks Jeana,

I noticed this earlier today and will keep my ears open for anything I learn about what's going on. I don't think we have any posters in Fargo, so every afternoon after lunch I'll check the local paper in Fargo for news updates.

I am thankful Minnesota and N Dakota have kept in step with what needed to be done as far as dealing with sexual predators goes. I've learned something new today in point, after all I have read, that these pervs never do get well. They will reoffend.

They have a plan or a scenario in their mind that drives them and after that urge is satiated they can have remorse, but whatever it is they dream of that gets them excited, comes back again and again. Always in their brain and nothing can change that.

Sad isn't it. But to hear their pathetic ,"I don't know why I did it" makes me want to treat them Arabian style and have the punishment reflect the crime. I know we will never do that in America, but it would certainly be just in my mind with a person like this that re-offends and has been told he has this particular problem. :banghead:

Nitey Nite Scandi

Thank you so much!!!! This was just senseless all the way around.

AP Wire | 07/13/2006 | Judge alters format in Rodriguez jury interviews

... U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson has advanced 18 people to the jury pool after five days of interviews. The final panel will be selected after 70 people are named to the pool.

"We are making progress," U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley said outside the federal courthouse after Thursday's session, when four people were added to the pool...

Sjodin's father, Allan, said the selection process has moved slowly at times, but he's impressed with the quality of potential jurors...

This is another one I want to see fry,hang or whatever to get rid of the scum! I dont know how they left him out of prison..

Are there any updates in this trial yet?

Another article from today's Grand Forks Herald:

Humor seeps into jury selection process

Potential juror pool now at 44

By Stephen J. Lee

Herald Staff Writer

FARGO - Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.'s sides shook with silent laughter Thursday in federal court here at the cantankerous views of the justice system voiced by a gravel-voiced Navy veteran being considered for jury duty.

Rodriguez wasn't the only person who smiled or laughed at the man's rather combative responses to questions by U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson, defense attorney Richard Ney and prosecutor, U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley during jury selection.

But he's the only one on trial here and facing a possible death sentence on the charge of kidnapping leading to the death of Dru Sjodin. And it was about the first display of any emotion or other reaction in court by the usually impassive Rodriguez.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/15122946.htm

Hi RKowley,

In the picture of your link, is that Dru's mom? Weren't Dru's parents wonderful through that whole ordeal. I remember her Dad speaking as though to Dru in a TV interview, telling her they loved her and would find her to bring her home. I'll never forget that.

Scandi

Hi Scandi,
Yes, I believe that is Dru's mom in the photo. Dru looked a lot like her mom. I followed Dru's case from the beginning and I do remember her Dad made it seem as though he was speaking directly to Dru and that they would find her no matter what.

I hope Alphonso gets the death penalty. It made me cringe when the other article I posted mentioned Alphonso silently laughing at the proceedings(I was thinking what right does he have to laugh after all he put Dru through?).

scandi said:
Hi RKowley,

In the picture of your link, is that Dru's mom? Weren't Dru's parents wonderful through that whole ordeal. I remember her Dad speaking as though to Dru in a TV interview, telling her they loved her and would find her to bring her home. I'll never forget that.

Scandi

scandi said:
Hi RKowley,

Scandi

I remember Dru's dad so clearly too. I think her mom stayed out of the media at that time but I think she is the one who pushed for this new law. I don't see Dru's dad there or maybe I'm going blind! I swear it looks like John Walsh standing by Dru's mom. Am I wrong?

Hi Bobbisangel,
I think that is John Walsh standing next to Dru's mom. Here is an article from the drusvoice.com website. Dru's mom attended the signing of the "Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act" signed by President Bush.

<SNIP>

Linda heads to Washington for the signing of "Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act" on Thursday 27, 2006!

July 25, 2006

Linda will be heading to Washington D.C. and attending the signing of "Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act" by President George Bush. She and a team of advocates will be present along with the National Center of Missing and Exploited Children. We are so thrilled that this bill is finally going to pass.

Next Thursday is the 25th anniversary of the abduction and murder of the six-year old, Adam Walsh. John Walsh, Adam's dad is and has been determined to fight for our kids for the past 25 years and we thank him for his dedication along with all the persons in this elite group that help make a difference in our country.

http://www.drusvoice.com/news/article.php?id=41

</SNIP>

<SNIP>
'Dru's Law' signed at White House

Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The mother of slain University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin said Thursday it was "very, very surreal" to attend a White House bill-signing ceremony for a new law to protect against child predators.

Linda Walker joined "America's Most Wanted" host John Walsh and other families of victims at a ceremony when President Bush signed a law that requires convicted child molesters to be listed on a national Internet database and face a felony charge for failing to update their whereabouts. The database will be named after Sjodin.

More at link:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/15139885.htm
</SNIP>

<SNIP>

CHILD PROTECTION: Bush signs Dru's Law

Bill calls for closer monitoring of sex offenders, harsher penalties

It's not just the 17 names that stand out at the top of the Adam Walsh Child Protection Act signed into law Thursday.

It's the missed smiles, the missed hugs. The missed children.

Dru Sjodin, 22, Adam Walsh, 6, Carlie Brucia, 11, Jimmy Ryce, 9, Samantha Runnion, 5, and more, all abducted and murdered. Some of the perpetrators, or alleged perpetrators, in these assaults and deaths had prior sex-related convictions.

In the memory of those who have died, in the name of those who have been assaulted - the bill, signed into law by President Bush on Thursday, calls for the close monitoring of sex offenders. State's attorneys will be notified of the pending release of an offender so they can consider civil commitment, and there will be harsher punishments for those who offend against children.

More at link:
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/15141150.htm

</SNIP>

Bobbisangel said:
I remember Dru's dad so clearly too. I think her mom stayed out of the media at that time but I think she is the one who pushed for this new law. I don't see Dru's dad there or maybe I'm going blind! I swear it looks like John Walsh standing by Dru's mom. Am I wrong?

DNA Issues Argued In Dru Sjodin Case

With jury selection expected to last for another two weeks, attorneys in the trial of Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., for the murder of University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin, argued a motion by the defense to have some of the DNA evidence in the case thrown out because of mishandling in the crime lab. The defense also asked the judge to dismiss the charges, because the prosecution's case rests on that DNA evidence.

Defense attorney Robert Hoy argued that the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension made a mistake by testing some samples when they knew the procedure would destroy the evidence, leaving the defense experts with nothing to examine.

More at link:
http://crime.about.com/b/a/257069.htm

RODERIQUEZ TRIAL

• A retired banker from Fargo was excused Monday because he grew up and worked in Karlstad, Minn., the hometown of Allan Sjodin, father of Dru Sjodin, and his four brothers and four sisters.

• A Fargo nurse was excused because her nephew had roomed at UND with Adam Schulz, who was Dru Sjodin's boyfriend for about two years. The nurse said that and the fact her own daughter was a student at UND at the time Sjodin was killed likely would affect the way she would hear and decide the case.

More at link:
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/15168257.htm

Jury faces three-part decision

By Stephen J. Lee

Herald Staff Writer

FARGO - The confusing and nuanced task being asked of potential jurors in the Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. case here in federal court was demonstrated Monday by a mostly unnoticed slip of the tongue by the judge.

U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley noticed it, and brought it to the attention of U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson to illustrate how difficult it is for jurors to follow the unusual process.

During one of the extended explanations Erickson makes to each juror candidate about the federal death penalty procedure, the loquacious judge said the final sentencing decision required proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

More at link:
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/15168260.htm

Thanks for all the links RKnowley. I am glad to hear this case is finally begining to move.

I have one question though about this case as I did not follow it as closely as some others. My question is, wasn't Dru kidnapped and then transported across a state line ? Maybe I am confused but as I recall this she was kidnapped outside of where she worked but her body was eventually found across the state line (which was relatively close) ?

The reason I ask is because of the Phase II portion - trying to determine if the death penalty is applicable. As I recall federal law considers kidnapping with the crossing of a state line as a death qualified case (i.e. Lisa Montgomery). Anyone know for sure ?

Hi raisincharlie,

You are correct that Dru was transported across state lines. She was abducted from a shopping mall parking lot in North Dakota and taken to Minnesota (Near Crookston, MN).

The death penalty is an absolute possibility being that because she was transported across state lines it became a Federal case.

raisincharlie said:
Thanks for all the links RKnowley. I am glad to hear this case is finally begining to move.

I have one question though about this case as I did not follow it as closely as some others. My question is, wasn't Dru kidnapped and then transported across a state line ? Maybe I am confused but as I recall this she was kidnapped outside of where she worked but her body was eventually found across the state line (which was relatively close) ?

The reason I ask is because of the Phase II portion - trying to determine if the death penalty is applicable. As I recall federal law considers kidnapping with the crossing of a state line as a death qualified case (i.e. Lisa Montgomery). Anyone know for sure ?

RKnowley said:
Hi raisincharlie,

You are correct that Dru was transported across state lines. She was abducted from a shopping mall parking lot in North Dakota and taken to Minnesota (Near Crookston, MN).

The death penalty is an absolute possibility being that because she was transported across state lines it became a Federal case.
Thanks !

I will be watching to see how this proceeds.

RKnowley said:
Hi Bobbisangel,
I think that is John Walsh standing next to Dru's mom. Here is an article from the drusvoice.com website. Dru's mom attended the signing of the "Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act" signed by President Bush.

<SNIP>

Linda heads to Washington for the signing of "Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act" on Thursday 27, 2006!

July 25, 2006

Linda will be heading to Washington D.C. and attending the signing of "Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act" by President George Bush. She and a team of advocates will be present along with the National Center of Missing and Exploited Children. We are so thrilled that this bill is finally going to pass.

Next Thursday is the 25th anniversary of the abduction and murder of the six-year old, Adam Walsh. John Walsh, Adam's dad is and has been determined to fight for our kids for the past 25 years and we thank him for his dedication along with all the persons in this elite group that help make a difference in our country.

http://www.drusvoice.com/news/article.php?id=41

</SNIP>

<SNIP>
'Dru's Law' signed at White House

Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The mother of slain University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin said Thursday it was "very, very surreal" to attend a White House bill-signing ceremony for a new law to protect against child predators.

Linda Walker joined "America's Most Wanted" host John Walsh and other families of victims at a ceremony when President Bush signed a law that requires convicted child molesters to be listed on a national Internet database and face a felony charge for failing to update their whereabouts. The database will be named after Sjodin.

More at link:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/15139885.htm
</SNIP>

<SNIP>

CHILD PROTECTION: Bush signs Dru's Law

Bill calls for closer monitoring of sex offenders, harsher penalties

It's not just the 17 names that stand out at the top of the Adam Walsh Child Protection Act signed into law Thursday.

It's the missed smiles, the missed hugs. The missed children.

Dru Sjodin, 22, Adam Walsh, 6, Carlie Brucia, 11, Jimmy Ryce, 9, Samantha Runnion, 5, and more, all abducted and murdered. Some of the perpetrators, or alleged perpetrators, in these assaults and deaths had prior sex-related convictions.

In the memory of those who have died, in the name of those who have been assaulted - the bill, signed into law by President Bush on Thursday, calls for the close monitoring of sex offenders. State's attorneys will be notified of the pending release of an offender so they can consider civil commitment, and there will be harsher punishments for those who offend against children.

More at link:
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/15141150.htm

</SNIP>

We were both wrong...that is Reve' John Walsh's wife standing beside him. I saw this on AMW saturday night and there she was all dressed in white or beige and it was John's wife.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back