'Ferocious fossils' found in Australia

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Before there were cuddly koalas, hoards of flesh-eating kangaroos, "demon ducks," and marsupial lions roamed Australia's Outback, according to recent fossil discoveries by paleontologists.

A team of researchers from the University of New South Wales working in the eastern state of Queensland made the discoveries in three new fossil deposits during a recent two-week dig.

Many of the fossils are older than 24 million years; one of the deposits is thought to contain fossils up to 500 million years old, according to Prof. Mike Archer, the university's dean of science.

A saber-toothed kangaroo and a giant 10-foot-tall, 881-pound bird scientists nicknamed the "demon duck of doom" :eek: were among the largely unknown species uncovered in the dig, Archer told reporters Wednesday.

"They were galloping kangaroos, they didn't hop," Archer said. "They were also far more muscly than the kangaroos we know, with sharp saber-like incisors and powerful forelimbs to help rip and tear their prey."

The remains of ancient tree-climbing crocodiles and marsupial lions were also uncovered in the rocks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060713/ap_on_sc/ferocious_fossils&printer=1

Thanks for this, Dark Knight. Australia has produced some amazing creatures over the millennia. I was curious what they looked like and found a website with drawings ad photos (of the fossils):

"Ravenous Roos"
http://www.lostkingdoms.com/snapshots/miocene_early_animals_roos.htm

"Fangaroo"
http://www.lostkingdoms.com/snapshots/miocene_early_riversleigh.htm

"Demon Duck of Doom"
http://www.lostkingdoms.com/snapshots/miocene_late_animals_birds.htm

Carniverous marsupial
http://www.lostkingdoms.com/snapshots/pleistocene_animals_pouched.htm

Giant short-faced kangaroo
http://www.lostkingdoms.com/snapshots/pleistocene_marsupial.htm

There have been some great fossil discoveries here in Oz, just like in other parts of the world.
That demon duck looks scary lol, 10 feet tall :eek: and I don't at all like the sound of that tree climbing crocodile!

Thanks DK and Cypros for the link and pics.

narlacat said:
There have been some great fossil discoveries here in Oz, just like in other parts of the world.
That demon duck looks scary lol, 10 feet tall :eek: and I don't at all like the sound of that tree climbing crocodile!

Thanks DK and Cypros for the link and pics.
Why does Oz get all of the evil creatures? lol! Things haven't changed much in that regards, I don't think. ;)

Well, we do have some deadly snakes and maybe even a deadly spider or two....but I've never been bitten by any of them lol
You make it sound like living in Oz is dangerous!
What other [living] creatures do we have that scare you DK?
Please enlighten me so I can worry about them LOL

narlacat said:
Well, we do have some deadly snakes and maybe even a deadly spider or two....but I've never been bitten by any of them lol
You make it sound like living in Oz is dangerous!
What other [living] creatures do we have that scare you DK?
Please enlighten me so I can worry about them LOL
LOL! Let's see....

7 of the world's 10 deadlest snakes
1 or 2 of the worlds deadliest spiders
huge great white sharks (among the biggest in the world)
deadly box jellyfish
huge and mean saltwater crocs (the biggest in the world, iirc)
and Russell Crowe :D

Dark Knight said:
LOL! Let's see....

7 of the world's 10 deadlest snakes
1 or 2 of the worlds deadliest spiders
huge great white sharks (among the biggest in the world)
deadly box jellyfish
huge and mean saltwater crocs (the biggest in the world, iirc)
and Russell Crowe :D
Russell Crowe..thats funny:p .
You forgot to mention our Koalas....they can give a nasty bite.

Yeah funny DK :D

I'm not fussed with Crowe, he thinks he's pretty good.
Got an awful temper, not that I can talk :p

Really we haven't got anything more dangerous than you guys, you guys have crocs or do you have alligators, what's the difference between those two anyway :confused: they both look the same to me lol

You've got white pointers too, don't they catch alot of them in Florida?

dingo said:
Russell Crowe..thats funny:p .
You forgot to mention our Koalas....they can give a nasty bite.
Have you ever had a koala bite Dingo?

I have never even held one lol

narlacat said:
Have you ever had a koala bite Dingo?

I have never even held one lol
Ive seen one in zoo:p I didnt get close enough for it to bite me.

LOL

Yeah I've never felt compelled to pay how ever much it is to hold the cute koala and get your pic taken, looking's enough for me too!

narlacat said:
LOL

Yeah I've never felt compelled to pay how ever much it is to hold the cute koala and get your pic taken, looking's enough for me too!
They only look placid because they are usually stoned:) Its got something to do with all the gum leaves they eat.

narlacat said:
Yeah funny DK :D

I'm not fussed with Crowe, he thinks he's pretty good.
Got an awful temper, not that I can talk :p

Really we haven't got anything more dangerous than you guys, you guys have crocs or do you have alligators, what's the difference between those two anyway :confused: they both look the same to me lol

You've got white pointers too, don't they catch alot of them in Florida?
Australian Salties are literally twice the size of an American Alligator, and far, far, more aggressive.

Great Whites are found along California and Florida's coasts, but it seems the ones found around Australia are quite a bit bigger. I have never heard of one of our divers have ever been bitten in HALF like yours have, lol!

I have also heard about Koalas being meaner than they look!

And, let's face it, no Demon Duck or Tree Climbing Croc fossils have been found here, either! Oz attracts these things somehow! :crazy:

dingo said:
They only look placid because they are usually stoned:) Its got something to do with all the gum leaves they eat.
Put that in ya pipe and smoke it :p

How much can a koala bear hahaha

And don't forget the famous Australian Drop Bears!!!!! Wear your helmets! :rolleyes:

Dark Knight said:
And don't forget the famous Australian Drop Bears!!!!! Wear your helmets! :rolleyes:
I never venture outside without my helmet:)

This was very interesting. I like the Demon Ducks of Doom and wish we still had some around to toss all of the convicted child molesters to. It sure would free up alot of our tax dollars.

8_demonduck.jpg

Yeah got to watch those stoned koalas falling out of the trees.
Once they hit the ground they go into attack mode NO ankles are safe from their big sharp teefies and claws.

~aussieblue

Dark Knight said:
Why does Oz get all of the evil creatures? lol! Things haven't changed much in that regards, I don't think. ;)

No way did we aussies get all the evil creatures because you guys got George Bush :p :rolleyes:

~aussieblue

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back