FL - Henry Sengaroun for rape of 8yo girl, St Petersburg, 2006

ajc2804

Reaction score
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- A man grabbed a Florida child and raped her in full daylight, police say.

The man who St. Petersburg police said raped the 8-year-old girl remains on the loose.

The victim was leaving a park at about 12:55 p.m. with her 7-year-old brother when the man grabbed her from behind, pulled her to the ground and raped her, police said. Their mother had left them alone for a few minutes to return home and turn off the kitchen stove. They were less than half a block from the family's apartment.

A man playing basketball nearby said he heard the screams and ran to the scene. A motorist who witnessed it began honking her horn and called for help. The perpetrator then got up and ran away.

The girl was treated at the hospital and released.

Police believe they recovered the man's shirt, which he apparently stripped off as he ran away, but they don't know his identity. People in the middle-class neighborhood said he may be a transient.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/9548161/detail.html

Why do these mothers leave their young children alone. I don't care what the reason was for, she should have brought them with her. Disgusting.

MrsMush99 said:
Why do these mothers leave their young children alone. I don't care what the reason was for, she should have brought them with her. Disgusting.

AMEN. After that little girl was molested two aisles down in the Wal-Mart a few years back, my kids are not even allowed to venture away from me in the store. Its a sad sad fact of life that kids just cannot be left alone for any length of time for any reason.

The two children soon noticed a man looking at them, became frightened and decided to walk home. Just outside the park, the man grabbed the girl in a bear hug and took her to the ground to the side of the brick street, police said. Her brother ran home to tell their mother.

Aaron Chambliss said he was playing basketball in the backyard of a home about 100 yards from the park. When he heard screams, he dropped the ball and walked into the front yard. He saw what looked like two kids wrestling.

As he walked closer, he noticed that a young girl seemed to be struggling. A woman in a car pulled up and began frantically honking her horn and dialing 911.

That's when Chambliss saw that the girl was only partly clothed. Chambliss sprinted toward the man.

"Get off of her!" he yelled.

The man jumped up and ran. Chambliss, father to a 2-year-old stepdaughter and a 1-month-old baby boy, chased the man through a church yard and across 38th Street. The man shot across busy 5th Avenue N, without regard for traffic, Chambliss said.

By the time Chambliss assessed the traffic, he knew he'd never catch the man.

"That guy was on some Superman stuff," said Chambliss, a muscular and fit 30-year-old. "He was running for his life."

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/07/20/Southpinellas/Girl__8__is_raped_in_.shtml

Thank God Chambliss stopped this man. Good for him for doing the right thing! And the lady too.

MrsMush99 said:
The rapist is the disgusting one. It is humanly impossible to watch your kids 24/7. I have three, and that is just the reality. Most mothers do their best. I do allow my kids to play in the yard alone (with frequent checks). They do leave my side at times in stores, and I immediately begin to look but I don't panic. I refuse to live a life in fear. I take reasonable and common sense precautions. Yes, evil exists, and monsters can have normal, everyday faces. But children raped and/or abducted by strangers are a rare occurance. They get a lot of publicity when they occur. But they are rare.

Southerngirl, I respectfully disagree with you. You let them play in YOUR yard I'm sure not at a park by themselves when they are 8 and 7. There is absolutely NO reasonably explanation to me why she left those children there by themselves. I don't care how rare rape and murder is I'm not taken any chances with my children being one of the "rare" ones. My daughter is 12 and wouldn't let her walk away from me in a store. Maybe I'm a bit over protective, but I rather be over protective then have one of my children become a statistic.

MrsMush99 said:
Southerngirl, I respectfully disagree with you. You let them play in YOUR yard I'm sure not at a park by themselves when they are 8 and 7. There is absolutely NO reasonably explanation to me why she left those children there by themselves. I don't care how rare rape and murder is I'm not taken any chances with my children being one of the "rare" ones. My daughter is 12 and wouldn't let her walk away from me in a store. Maybe I'm a bit over protective, but I rather be over protective then have one of my children become a statistic.
She left them for a few minutes. Her apartment was within view of the park. I do not blame the mother at all. I blame the perp. I am sure the mother feels regret and guilt. But the fault lies 100% with the rapist.

southerngirl said:
She left them for a few minutes. Her apartment was within view of the park. I do not blame the mother at all. I blame the perp. I am sure the mother feels regret and guilt. But the fault lies 100% with the rapist.

I blame the perp too, but since her apartment was so close, why not just take the kids with her? What good did a view of of the park do for her 8-year old daughter? So, she could see her house while she was being raped. I don't think that made her feel much better.

I also blame the perp. But the mother shares some responsiblity IMO. I'm very sorry she should have taken her children with her.

Jeana (DP) said:
I blame the perp too, but since her apartment was so close, why not just take the kids with her? What good did a view of of the park do for her 8-year old daughter? So, she could see her house while she was being raped. I don't think that made her feel much better.
Well, theoretically the mother could still see her kids for the most part as she returned quickly to her apartment. Probably the kids were having fun swinging and playing in the park and wanted to stay. The mom thought, "I'll only be gone for a minute." Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

southerngirl said:
Well, theoretically the mother could still see her kids for the most part as she returned quickly to her apartment. Probably the kids were having fun swinging and playing in the park and wanted to stay. The mom thought, "I'll only be gone for a minute." Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

Even if she could see them, she still couldn't help her daughter. Did she see the attack happening??? I don't think so, since the son ran home to get the mom. Chambliss is the one who saw what was going on and chased after the man.

What do you think about the father and grandparent's responsibilty in Jessica Lunsford's case? They forgot to lock the door of the mobile home the night Jessica was snatched. Or maybe they typically didn't lock the door because they didn't see the need or importance. Probably the perp would have been deterred if the door had been locked. But he just walked right in and kidnapped that child. I've never blamed them, although Jessica probably would still be alive if they had exercised the caution of habitually locking their doors. I see the father and grandparents as victims, too, of a sick, sick individual.

In the course of everyday life we as humans make many decisions everyday; some are not the best and we usually escape tragedy. Not always, though. Some decisions will haunt us forever. But in cases such as this I place blame and responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the perpetrator.

They didn't leave Jessica alone. I place no blame on them. And as far as Jessica still being here if the doors were locked, we don't know that. He could have easily broken in. But we do know that if this woman took her children home with her this child would not have been raped. This woman INTENTIONALLY left her children alone. I'm sorry but there is absolutely no excuse for that IMO.

southerngirl said:

I disagree. As parents, its our responsibility to think of everything that can possibly go wrong. That's why we don't leave toddlers alone in the bathtub, we don't leave them alone in a kitchen with a hot stove or a hot iron, we don't leave them alone in cars while we run into the store and we don't leave our kids alone in the park, even for a minute.

southerngirl said:
What do you think about the father and grandparent's responsibilty in Jessica Lunsford's case? They forgot to lock the door of the mobile home the night Jessica was snatched. Or maybe they typically didn't lock the door because they didn't see the need or importance. Probably the perp would have been deterred if the door had been locked. But he just walked right in and kidnapped that child. I've never blamed them, although Jessica probably would still be alive if they had exercised the caution of habitually locking their doors. I see the father and grandparents as victims, too, of a sick, sick individual.

In the course of everyday life we as humans make many decisions everyday; some are not the best and we usually escape tragedy. Not always, though. Some decisions will haunt us forever. But in cases such as this I place blame and responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the perpetrator.

Different situations altogether.

MrsMush99 said:
There is absolutely NO reasonably explanation to me why she left those children there by themselves. I don't care how rare rape and murder is I'm not taken any chances with my children being one of the "rare" ones. My daughter is 12 and wouldn't let her walk away from me in a store. Maybe I'm a bit over protective, but I rather be over protective then have one of my children become a statistic.
Add me to being over protective too. I agree, I don't care how "rare" this is, I'm not about to let my 10 yr old daughter be in the "rare" percentage if I can help it. I see it too many times where children are left in cars because a parent is just running in the post office or paying for gas. I love the pay at the pump gas, but sometimes the receipt doesn't print. My dd may not want to come, but she gets out of the van w/ me to go inside for the receipt. Of course we can't watch our children every second, but we don't take chances either. Leaving two young children alone in the playground was taking a chance, a chance that forever changed the innocence of an 8 yr old girl. This mother deliberately left her children.

As far as the Lunsfords, they didn't deliberately leave the door unlocked. Couey was high on meth. I think he would have gotten in one way or another. You can't say Jessica would still be alive. It's hard to say, he might have killed the grandparents and still have taken her. There are many "ifs" regarding that night Jessica was taken and it's not fair to put all of the blame on the unlocked door.

MrsMush99 said:
They didn't leave Jessica alone. I place no blame on them. And as far as Jessica still being here if the doors were locked, we don't know that. He could have easily broken in. But we do know that if this woman took her children home with her this child would not have been raped. This woman INTENTIONALLY left her children alone. I'm sorry but there is absolutely no excuse for that IMO.
It is foolhardy to not lock your doors at night. I equate that decision with leaving your 7 and 8 year old alone for five minutes in a park near your home.
Poor judgement in both situations resulted in a child being injured and/or killed. I am sure both families regret their decision and will wonder forever, "if only...."

My point is, in the course of everyday life most all of us make sub-par decisions, some of us more than others. We usually escape the fate of these two families. My husband has many times come home, found one or more doors unlocked, and chewed me out about it. The kids go outside and forget to lock them back. But I am responsible. Nothing bad has ever happened, but it could. I do not blame this mother. Her judgement in hindsight was poor, but I do not see her as neglient, anymore than I see the Lunsfords as negligent, or myself, for that matter.

Once he is positively identified I think a little "community justice" is in order. I'm sorry...I don't think he should be advised of his rights, given a clean bed to sleep in, food to eat, iron bars to protect him, maybe some counseling...Nope, I'm not worried about his psyche - I'm worried about the law-abiding families out here in this world.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of having to dish out my hard-earned money to support these creeps. I don't owe them anything - Actually, they owe me! I'm one of the ones (not willingly either) who has made their survival possible, gave them that get out of jail free card - just to see them end up doing it over & over & over....
Step 1: Rape, molest, murder, rob...etc.
Step 2: Run
Step 3: aRrest
Step 4: Relax in jail
Step 5: Release
Step 6: Reoffend
Repeat steps 1 - 6.

Yep, I think a little community justice is in order.

Jeana (DP) said:
Different situations altogether.
I respectfully disagree. Two families, two poor decisions (although only in hindsight), two raped children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back