GUILTY IN - Jerry Ross, 40, killed in series of highway shootings, Jackson Co., 23 July 2006

Shadow205

Reaction score
SEYMOUR, Ind. (AP) -- Sniper shootings of two vehicles along Interstate 65 in southern Indiana early Sunday left one person dead and another injured, state police said.

more at the link http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/INDIANA_SHOOTINGS?SITE=VAROA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

One motorist was killed and another injured this morning by sniper fire on Interstate 65 near Seymour, prompting the Indiana State Police to close a 14-mile stretch of the highway for more than eight hours.

Traffic resumed ast 9:40 a.m. and the shootings are still under investigation.
clear.gif
clear.gif

Two vehicles were struck by gunfire shortly after midnight this morning, according to the state police. Hours later, two more vehicles were shot near Muncie and the state police Redkey post - including a semi tractor-trailer rig on Interstate 69.
"This investigation is ongoing. At this time it is unknown whether the shootings in the Seymour and Redkey area are related," Sgt. Jerry D. Goodin said in a prepared statement.

I-65 was closed from mile marker 50, the Seymour exit, to mile 64 after the first gunfire shortly after midnight, Goodin said.

More at the link http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060723/LOCAL/60723001

The first thing that I thought of when I read this was Nicholas Harbison.

Indiana State Police called in off-duty troopers today to help investigate four possibly related early-morning sniper shootings on interstates that left one person dead and another wounded.
The gunfire in each case might have come from highway overpasses or from the roadway, police said.
The victims were passengers in separate pickup trucks that were hit about 12:30 a.m. as they headed south on I-65 near Seymour, in southern Indiana. Two other vehicles were struck by gunfire later near Muncie and the Indiana 332 exit on I-69.

“We’re calling all of our available manpower we have out to scour the interstates,” said state police spokesman Sgt. Jerry D. Goodin, who asked that motorists call 911 to report any suspicious activity on or along Indiana interstates.

<snip>

Goodin identified the victims as Jerry L. Ross, 40, of New Albany, who was fatally shot as he rode in the passenger seat of a pickup truck. Two others in the vehicle were not injured.

Police identified the man wounded in the second attack as Robert John Otto Hartl, 25, of Audubon, Iowa. Hartl was treated and released from a Seymour hospital. The driver of the pickup truck he was in was not injured.

Goodin and Redkey post Sgt. Rod Russell said the shootings in both the Seymour and Muncie cases were part of a joint investigation. The Delaware County shootings occurred about two hours after the first gunfire was reported near Seymour. The two locations are roughly two hours distant by car.
<snip>
We did not have any information of any prior road rage before the incidents,” noted Goodin. “That’s why we’re calling it sniper shootings.”

more at the link http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060723/LOCAL/60723001

8:00 PM July 23, 2006

Police task force hunts highway sniper
8 p.m. update: Police consider shooting scenarios; ask public's help

Indiana State Police said tonight they have established a task force to investigate what they believe are four sniper shootings on interstates 65 and 69.

<snip>
The state has set up alerts on all highway information boards, which read: “Report suspicious overpass activities – call police.”
<snip>
Sgt. Jerry Goodin, spokesman for the state police, said investigators think that the shootings probably fit one of three scenarios:

1) A person in the Seymour area went out shooting, and the shootings near Muncie were not connected.

2) Shooters in Seymour and Muncie conspired to fire on the same night.

3) A person stopped in Seymour, shot, and then drove to the Muncie area to fire again.

Goodin said police did not know which scenario was most likely. He said investigators could find no connection between any of the victims.4:52 p.m. update: Daniels asks Guard, state Homeland Security, to help

Gov. Mitch Daniels ordered the Indiana National Guard and the state Department of Homeland Security to help state police respond to sniper attacks today on motorists near Seymour and Muncie.
The two agencies were on standby if needed, the governor’s office said in a statement.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060723/LOCAL/60723001

I just returned home via I-69 . . . significant police presence.

IndyLaw said:
I just returned home via I-69 . . . significant police presence.
Please be careful IndyLaw. Sounds like a serious situation there in Indiana.

Shadow205 said:
Please be careful IndyLaw. Sounds like a serious situation there in Indiana.

Thanks, Shadow. I was home before dark, so felt pretty safe. There are so many places to hide on the rural overpasses in the dark, I'm afraid some "copycat" may try to claim their 15 minutes of fame.

I do have to make this same trip tomorrow evening and Tuesday afternoon for a funeral, so I will be paying attention.

Thanks for the good wishes.

IndyLaw said:
Thanks, Shadow. I was home before dark, so felt pretty safe. There are so many places to hide on the rural overpasses in the dark, I'm afraid some "copycat" may try to claim their 15 minutes of fame.

I do have to make this same trip tomorrow evening and Tuesday afternoon for a funeral, so I will be paying attention.

Thanks for the good wishes.
They seem to like trucks, which I drive (pickup) but I am northern Indiana and don't drive I-69 itself, but I go over and under the overpasses all the time at night. I will be keeping my eyes open in case they have wandered even farther north.

I drive I-69 EVERY DAY to get to/from work :( . And ironically, yesterday I went to Muncie for a family cookout and took the exit right there where the sniper struck. It's probably some methed up lunatic cornfed hillbilly trying to be "cool"... :furious:

Dark Knight said:
They seem to like trucks, which I drive (pickup) but I am northern Indiana and don't drive I-69 itself, but I go over and under the overpasses all the time at night. I will be keeping my eyes open in case they have wandered even farther north.

I guess I'm glad I'm not driving a truck, DK!

Fortunately I don't use either of these interstates that far north OR that far south, but use I-65 every day within the metro area to get to work. I understand that they're doing comparisons on the ballistics from each scene.

I was on I-69 on Saturday afternoon, before this occurred. Geesh. There are some crazy people out in the world.

Hopefully, this nutcase (or nutcases) will be stopped soon, before any more tragedy strikes.

news link
SEYMOUR, Ind. — A 17-year-old confessed Tuesday to committing a series of highway shootings that killed one man, wounded another and damaged at least four vehicles, authorities said.
Zachariah Blanton was arrested earlier in the day and was jailed in Jackson County. He faced preliminary charges of murder, attempted murder and criminal recklessness, prosecutor Stephen Pierson said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taylor Sage
Back