GUILTY MD - C.O. David McGuinn, 42, fatally stabbed by inmates, Jessup, 25 July 2006

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Officials: Three inmates stabbed prison guard to death in Maryland
JESSUP, Md. (AP) — Three inmates stabbed a prison guard to death in Maryland's troubled House of Correction, the second killing of an on-duty corrections officer in the state this year, officials said Wednesday.

The guard was on late night rounds in the maximum-security prison when he was attacked and stabbed several times in the neck and back, said Maj. Priscilla Doggett, a spokeswoman for the Maryland Division of Correction.

The officer's name was not released, pending notification of his family.

The prison was in lockdown Wednesday, and security teams from other prisons were sent to assist with a search of the entire facility, Doggett said. She said the three inmates accused in the attack had been taken a secure location.

more:

http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/0726/prison_guard_death_ap.html

I grew up in this general area and knew many kids whose parent's worked at one of the prisons in Jessup. There are three or four of them. There is a women's facility and a there used to be a medium security prison there. Always seemed to be trouble...even 20 some years ago.

I think that would be a tough scary job - to be a prison guard. I respect those who do it. How sad for this man's family.

It has been all over our news here, I watched it at 5 and 6. The family is too distraught to make a statement now, I feel so bad for them..

terrible--I've read several books by prison guards about their experiences in prison--what they go thru would curl your hair--I pray for that poor guy's family

Hi Jeana,:)
I would like to thank-you for posting the article.You have always been respectful to me and Correctional Officers in general.You are appreciated for your respect.
This is so killing is so sad.I do not have the words to express how I feel.

It is a very hard job.
My heart hurts for the Officer's family and friends.
Our CPO Foundation will be sending out a statement about this to us.
Please take a few minutes to check the link and click on the "Fallen Officers"
section.
CPO Foundation

Some of the media refers to us as "guards".Others in the media give us respect and refer to us as Correctional Officers.
We are Correctional Officers.We wish to be respected by our proper title.That is not too much to ask.
I just arrived home a short time ago from forced overtime.We have to start early or work over.Just when you think that you are going to punch out and go home,you can be forced to stay for another 4 or 8 hours over.Or you can be ordered to show up 4 hours early for the next day before you go home at night.It is hell when you have to cancel plans with your family.You feel guilty and there are hurt feelings with everyone involved.Add that on top of the day that you have to go through while you are on shift.Our day is never normal and you can never forsee what you will be responding to.Suicide attempts,mental health issues,assaults,a medical emergency,loss of power (we just had that happen last week)the list goes on.
All my Respect to you.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

news link

2 Inmates Charged In Correctional Officer Killing

(WJZ/AP) JESSUP, Md. Maryland State Police have charged two prison inmates with killing a correctional officer.

The inmates have been identified as 26-year-old Lamar C. Harris and 27-year-old Lee E. Stephens. Both are charged with first- and second-degree murder.

Forty-two-year-old David McGuinn,
lg

had worked for the corrections department for two years, was stabbed to death last night at the Maryland House of Correction in Jessup.

dark_shadows said:
Hi Jeana,:)
I would like to thank-you for posting the article.You have always been respectful to me and Correctional Officers in general.You are appreciated for your respect.
This is so killing is so sad.I do not have the words to express how I feel.

It is a very hard job.
My heart hurts for the Officer's family and friends.
Our CPO Foundation will be sending out a statement about this to us.
Please take a few minutes to check the link and click on the "Fallen Officers"
section.
CPO Foundation

Some of the media refers to us as "guards".Others in the media give us respect and refer to us as Correctional Officers.
We are Correctional Officers.We wish to be respected by our proper title.That is not too much to ask.
I just arrived home a short time ago from forced overtime.We have to start early or work over.Just when you think that you are going to punch out and go home,you can be forced to stay for another 4 or 8 hours over.Or you can be ordered to show up 4 hours early for the next day before you go home at night.It is hell when you have to cancel plans with your family.You feel guilty and there are hurt feelings with everyone involved.Add that on top of the day that you have to go through while you are on shift.Our day is never normal and you can never forsee what you will be responding to.Suicide attempts,mental health issues,assaults,a medical emergency,loss of power (we just had that happen last week)the list goes on.
All my Respect to you.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Absolutely. Its got to be one of the toughest jobs there is. All of my thanks, warmest thoughts and prayers to the family of the slain officer and to all of his brothers and sisters on the job.

Dark Shadows, I would not do your job, it is too hard. I have the utmost respect for people who can do it.:blowkiss: I know with my career being in nursing others would not want that either, lol....This case is so sad and any other. I feel so sad when I hear of Correctional Officers and Police Officer's getting killed. People putting their life on the line everyday for us is something else. My hat is off to them. I guess I am too much of a chicken:chicken: , My DH was one time pursing a Job as a Correctional Officer and I was excited at first then I got scared. I was so worried that something would happen to him. He ultimatly did not pursue that career and went in another direction. I pray for this man's family.

From February 2012:

http://www.wbal.com/article/87252/3/No-Death-Penalty-For-Inmate-Convicted-Of-Murdering-Guard

An Anne Arundel County jury has rejected the death penalty for inmate convicted of murdering a corrections officer. The jury chose instead Wednesday to impose a life sentence without parole for 32-year-old Lee Stephens.

Earlier in February, the same jury found Stephens guilty of first-degree murder in the stabbing of Cpl. David McGuinn at the now-closed Maryland House of Correction...

Harris was found not competent to stand trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back