GUILTY MD - Irvin Harris, 11, stabbed to death, Baltimore, 28 July 2006

Michelle Read

Reaction score
I didn't even know this poor child was missing! When are these sex offenders going to get locked up for life or given the death penalty???

From the article:

An 11-year-old boy missing since last week was found slain early Monday on a golf course near his home, and a twice-convicted child sex offender was arrested in his death, police said.
An autopsy was being performed on the body of Irvin Harris to establish the cause of death.

http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/ap07-31-131458.asp?t=apnew&vts=73120061331

Michelle Read said:
I didn't even know this poor child was missing! When are these sex offenders going to get locked up for life or given the death penalty???
Maybe if we're loud enough. The squeeky wheel is the one that gets greased.

This guy has already served TWO sentences for sexually molesting children.

The sentences were like a joke a 7 month sentence and the second time he only got a year!

http://www.comcast.net/news/national/index.jsp?cat=DOMESTIC&fn=/2006/07/31/445751.html
Jones pleaded guilty to child sexual abuse in 1989 and served about seven months in prison, said Joseph Sviatko, a spokesman for the Baltimore state's attorney's office. He pleaded guilty in 2002 to a sex offense involving a 15-year-old boy and was sentenced a year in prison, Sviatko said.

Things like this happen because society (based on our justice system) doesn't think molesting a child is a big deal. 7 months and a year?? Should have locked him up for good the first time.

I let my mouth do the talking this past weekend. A 23 year was picking up a 6th grader after school and having sex with her. She just had a baby this weekend and I was the infant's dr. Called DHS and reported this as a case of sexual abuse. Dad's butt is cooling off in jail. We have got to stand up and protect our children. This 11 year may have wanted a boyfriend but she is too young to consent to sexual intercourse. Also prosecutors need to help these
children so they can testify. And, state's attorneys who plead sexual molesters down to these wimpy sentences should be voted out of office!! Same with elected judges who go soft on chilkd molesters!!:doh::doh:

dr dona said:
I let my mouth do the talking this past weekend. A 23 year was picking up a 6th grader after school and having sex with her. She just had a baby this weekend and I was the infant's dr. Called DHS and reported this as a case of sexual abuse. Dad's butt is cooling off in jail. We have got to stand up and protect our children. This 11 year may have wanted a boyfriend but she is too young to consent to sexual intercourse. Also prosecutors need to help these
children so they can testify. And, state's attorneys who plead sexual molesters down to these wimpy sentences should be voted out of office!! Same with elected judges who go soft on chilkd molesters!!:doh::doh:
How absolutely horrific! Good Job Doc! We need more people like you in the fight against these predators. The sentences they get are sooooo apaulling. (sp?) Again, kudos to you !

Michelle Read said:

From the article:

An 11-year-old boy missing since last week was found slain early Monday on a golf course near his home, and a twice-convicted child sex offender was arrested in his death, police said.
An autopsy was being performed on the body of Irvin Harris to establish the cause of death.

This is so terrible! I am so tired of these perverts! We need tougher laws to protect our kids and keep these demons off the streets!

Does anyone remember that female judge from Massachusetts who let a sex offender off with probation because she said although he molested a young boy she had "seen worse."? I know many people wanted her fired, but I left the area before the issue was resolved...

dr dona said:

Stay with it and thank God for people like you.Your credibility will go a long way in the courts. An 11 year old does not have the maturity to deal with a child although she may love the child.What she really needs is someone to love her so she can grow, in the right way, and make informed decisions.

Bless all of you that love children and want the path safe to adulthood.Give them a chance. They will make a difference.

Also, I want to acknowledge the group home that was created for homeless teens. This is also an exceptional way of acknowledging and providing for them. Little steps in communities could make huge steps in an overall healthy community and individuals.

bykerladi said:
Does anyone remember that female judge from Massachusetts who let a sex offender off with probation because she said although he molested a young boy she had "seen worse."? I know many people wanted her fired, but I left the area before the issue was resolved...

Maybe someone should bend her over her bench with big ole bubba right behind her and show her what it is all about. See if her attitude would be any different after she got it in the rear end. See if she could tell the difference in what is "worse." There are to many judges coming to light just like this one. It's really hard to believe.

GlitchWizard said:
Maybe if we're loud enough. The squeeky wheel is the one that gets greased.

Some people over in Idaho are trying to get a law called "Dylan's Law" passed in which a person would get the book thrown at them after hurting a child once. I think that is exactly what we need. One time and that is it. Enough of this second chance when we all know that these preditors don't ever stop.
Bull on those monitors that a preditor can cut off if they take the notion.

This law didn't pass the first time around but they are going to keep trying.

bykerladi said:

There should be one register for ALL judges like this, so everyone can see and read about them. Then when they come up for re-election vote them out..

:twocents:

Michelle Read said:

From the article:

From the above link:

Col. Fred Bealefeld, the department's chief of detectives, described Jones as the Harris family's friend and said there was ''every indication'' that Irvin's mother knew about Jones' 2002 conviction for having sex with a teenage boy.
''I'm blaming myself right now,'' Irvin's mother, Shanda Harris, told WBAL-TV. ''By trusting Melvin, now my son is gone.''

Why in the world would any parent trust their child around a known, convicted sex offender? At least she is taking some responsibility, but this is so sad to me.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_city/bal-harris0906,0,5851443.story

Shanda R. Harris, the mother of an 11-year-old boy who police say was killed by a convicted sex offender, pleaded guilty in Baltimore Circuit Court Thursday to knowingly allowing the man to baby-sit her son.
Harris, as part of an agreement reached with prosecutors, received an eight-year suspended sentence on charges of reckless endangerment and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

The deal spares Harris prison time beyond what she served from Oct. 5, when she was arrested, until she posted bail March 26.
Related links

Melvin Lorenzo Jones Jr., 53, is charged with first-degree murder in the stabbing death of Harris' son Irvin in July 2006. Jones, a convicted sex offender who had been ordered to have no unsupervised contact with children, had repeatedly watched Harris' children, including Irvin.
Irvin disappeared one afternoon as he headed to the Belair Food Market in Northeast Baltimore to buy a snowball. His body was found two days later across the street from the Clifton Park Golf Course, in the woods behind a church a block from the family's home at that time on Lawnview Avenue.
Harris, 42, a recovering heroin addict, learned from an employee at her drug treatment program that Jones was a convicted sex offender about a year before Irvin's death.

She still let Jones play an important role in the boy's life, including allowing Jones to volunteer at Collington Square Elementary School, where Irvin was a fourth-grader.
Jones was eventually banned from the school after the principal found out he was a sex offender.
Prosecutors said they proposed a plea deal that spared Harris from jail because she agreed to participate in an extensive parenting and substance abuse program at University of Maryland Medical Center. The Client Services Division of the Office of the Public Defender recommended treatment that will require Harris to attend drug rehabilitation classes five times a week for three months and receive monthly psychiatric evaluations.
"Our focus from the start was what could be done to protect the surviving children," said Julie Drake, an assistant state's attorney who prosecuted the case. "I've never seen a case where anybody became a better parent after they have spent two, three years in jail."
Circuit Judge John M. Glynn called the case troubling but said the treatment plan is best for all parties. "In terms of long-term well-being, this is the best hope that there is," he said. "I'm not an optimist, but this is the best chance anyone has." Harris declined to comment in court.

Why on earth did the mother let this man anywhere near his son knowing he was a child molestor? What am I missing here? The article said SHE KNEW! :banghead: :doh: :(

From Sherri's link:
We wish everybody, not just us, we wish everybody had done more," Frederick H. Bealefeld III, who was then chief of detectives, told The Sun in a 2006 interview. Bealefeld is now the acting police commissioner.

Jones is scheduled to go to trial Oct. 15 on the murder charge. He pleaded guilty in 1990 to sexually abusing a 4-year-old girl, and in 2002 Jones admitted having sexual contact with a teenage boy.

Jones has not been charged with molesting Irvin. Court testimony Thursday revealed that Jones once sent Irvin a text message that said, "I love you." One of Harris' other children told police that he had seen Jones in bed with Irvin, according to court testimony.

Why on earth did the mother let this man anywhere near his son knowing he was a child molestor? What am I missing here? The article said SHE KNEW! :banghead: :doh: :(

She was a heroin addict. Bet he was getting her drugs in exchange for time with her son. Besides, she was dating his brother.

This is so terrible! I am so tired of these perverts! We need tougher laws to protect our kids and keep these demons off the streets!

I truely don't get it. PREDATORS, especially ones that go for the very young or the very old - are the most DANGEROUS type of criminal.

The sentence for stealing something when the guy you're with shoots someone (but you didn't) can be life in prison or the death sentence for you - yet a PREDATOR that PREYS on and molests small children get out again?

It's bassackwards.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back