FL - Shantavious Wilson, 24, killed by robbery victim, Tampa, 29 Oct 2003

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
TAMPA, Fla. — A six-member jury found restaurant owner Lawrence Storer not guilty of manslaughter Thursday for running over and killing a man who robbed him. (VIDEO)

The panel determined that Storer was justified in driving after 24-year-old Shantavious Wilson and hitting him with his Ford Explorer after Wilson robbed him of $15.23 at his downtown Tampa Bay Thai restaurant on Oct. 29, 2003.

Jurors reached their decision after deliberating for four and a half hours.

When the verdict was read, Storer, 36, took off his glasses and wiped away tears.

"I'm glad it's over, and that's all I can say right now. I'm at a loss for words," he said.

more at:
http://www.courttv.com/trials/storer/080306_verdict_ctv.html

Well, I am at a lost for words too.

He couldn't just follow him with his huge Ford Explorer and call LE on his cell phone?

That is amazing Jeana. What scares me is how arbitrary justice is. I don't understand this either Concerned. I wonder what the jury's reasoning was that this guy was justified in hitting him with his car, unless they figured that part was accidental!

Scandi

The guy put a gun to his head to rob him . He was on teh phone with 911 so I wonder why 911 didnt tell him to stop a pursuit.

"Storer then jumped in his car and drove after Wilson for four blocks as he stayed on the phone with a 911 dispatcher.

As he turned the corner and went the wrong way on a one-way street, Storer hit Wilson, killing him instantly."

I think it would be real hard to prosecute this guy and get a conviction. The guy was robbing people at gunpoint. I think people are tired of thugs putting guns in their faces.

This got me interested so I did a little more reading, it's conflicting to say the least. Understandable on some points, but not on others, here's a story about some of his testimony.

By Matt Pordum
Court TV TAMPA, Fla. — If Lawrence Storer had the chance to do it all over again, he wouldn't have chased the man who robbed him at gunpoint.

Storer testified Wednesday that in retrospect, his decision to leave his locked downtown Tampa restaurant and drive after 24-year-old Shantavious Wilson was not reasonable.

But during the course of his roughly three hours on the witness stand, Storer remained steadfast in his stance that he didn't intentionally run over and kill Wilson on Oct. 29, 2003.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/storer/080206_ctv.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back