Madonna Angers the Vatican

southcitymom

Reaction score
Website
www.janicefahy.com
http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/Recordings/Italy_Madonna.html

Madonna's Concert Crucifixion Draws Ire
ROME — Madonna's plans to stage a mock crucifixion during a Sunday concert in Rome have drawn fire from religious leaders, who have condemned the stunt as "an act of open hostility" toward the Roman Catholic Church.

During the concerts of her "Confessions" world tour, the American diva appears crucified on a mirrored cross while wearing a crown of thorns.

I believe they should just ignore her - this is giving her the publicity she craves, IMO.

just the reason why she stooped to such 'shock tactics'. :rolleyes:

yeah, she would do anything to sell tickets as it's clear she's well past her sell-by date.

I like Modonna but I do think this "stunt" is tacky.. There is no need for it.. Yes, free speech and all that BS, but this is plain o'l disrespectful.. :twocents:

PaperDoll said:
I like Modonna but I do think this "stunt" is tacky.. There is no need for it.. Yes, free speech and all that BS, but this is plain o'l disrespectful.. :twocents:
I like Madonna just fine as well but I think this is lame and disrespectful. I see it as a desparate, pathetic attempt to garner attention.

I read somewhere today that Madonna and her cute hubby plan to renew their wedding vows. Maybe it will be a Kaballah ceremony, or has she tossed those beliefs out the door, too?

IdahoMom said:
I read somewhere today that Madonna and her cute hubby plan to renew their wedding vows. Maybe it will be a Kaballah ceremony, or has she tossed those beliefs out the door, too?
It was in the newspapers last weekend that Madonna and Guy plan to adopt a baby and have contacted Angelina and Brad for advice. Not sure how true this is, watch this forum, there might be a 'Madonna and Guy' thread very soon??? :bang:

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news?id=20074

Guy seems so quiet and she is so outrageous, I often wonder what he thinks when she does these things to shock, I mean it's not as if she is still the young kid she was when she came on the scene in the 80's. Maybe I'm a little old fashioned but I'm sure if I acted like Madonna my kids would be well embarrassed!! :eek:

I can not stand her. She is so fake in every sense of the imagination including her fake british accent ...isn't she from Detroit or something...I could care less what the B@@@@ does because she is only doing it to keep her sorry a## in the media spotlight. But, I should try to be more honest w/ my feelings...not hold anything back :blushing: :blushing:

Is she doing this stunt in every city or just Rome?

I think Madonna express's her anger at the Church through her art which is music. I think even at 50 she is rebelling against the traditional roles placed on the Italian Catholic women of her childhood and family.

tybee204 said:
I think Madonna express's her anger at the Church through her art which is music. I think even at 50 she is rebelling against the traditional roles placed on the Italian Catholic women of her childhood and family.

That's a good point. I never thought about it that way.

>I think Madonna express's her anger at the Church through her art which is music. I think even at 50 she is rebelling against the traditional roles placed on the Italian Catholic women of her childhood and family.<

As a Christian I am deeply offended and see this as hate speech. Will her career be over like Mel Gibsons? Will this dominate the airways and will Hollywood be called upon to shun her? Will there be a call to boycott her recordings and shows?

Madonna has expressed her hatred of the Catholic church in many ways over the years and has suffered absolutely no consequences for it. When she does it's "expressing herself through her art". If she had come out and depicted Mohammed in an offensive way would the outcry be louder? How about she came out wearing a headscarf or a burka wearing a suicide vest to express her anger towards Islam. Do you think that would create a bigger controversy and calls for her to be condemned for hate speech? I can assure you, her career WOULD be over and all of her friends would burn their little red Kabballah bracelets.

Madonna isn't doing this to express her repressed Catholic upbringing. From what I've read of her past she came from a very normal middle class Catholic family her mother died young from cancer I believe and her father remarried. How was she repressed? She was hardly forced into any kind of traditional role. She wasn't forced into a convent or forced to marry and have 10 kids. She led a very free life from a young age. She became a sleazy pop star that simulates sex in her stage acts, simulates lesbianism with other pop tarts, makes fun of the Catholic church and uses it's most sacred icon for shock value to gain a buck and has posed with her legs spread apart in a book of sexual poses. She then joined a fake religion that insults Jews IMO. This stuff is done for it's shock value alone and to make even more money to keep her has-been career going. Nothing surprising here except that there will be little outrage. What part of her new-found religion looks favorably upon this type of behavior?

Mel Gibson got drunk and says Jews are responsible for all of the wars in the world. But last I looked he was still married to the same woman, raises his kids to be decent human beings, is married to their mother making them all legitimate, stays away from Hollywood parties and keeps his pants on.

Mel makes a movie about Jesus' death and is mocked and reviled. Madonna makes fun of Jesus and will make a big bunch of money and still be a media darling. Go figure. This country suffers from a lack of moral clarity.

Jeana (DP) said:
That *advertiser censored* would do anything to sell a concert ticket.
:laugh: *advertiser censored*! Good word! Madonna in a nutshell!!

I would not even take it seriously because she is a phony who no one really listens to anyway...she is just so god awful boring...didn't she pull this when she did "just like a prayer". She is untalented and unoriginal... she even re-does her own crap. JMO for all you fans of hers. I am not in a good mood today...the heat is realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly getting to me :furious:

Sherlockmom said:
>I think Madonna express's her anger at the Church through her art which is music. I think even at 50 she is rebelling against the traditional roles placed on the Italian Catholic women of her childhood and family.<

As a Christian I am deeply offended and see this as hate speech. Will her career be over like Mel Gibsons? Will this dominate the airways and will Hollywood be called upon to shun her? Will there be a call to boycott her recordings and shows?

Madonna has expressed her hatred of the Catholic church in many ways over the years and has suffered absolutely no consequences for it. When she does it's "expressing herself through her art". If she had come out and depicted Mohammed in an offensive way would the outcry be louder? How about she came out wearing a headscarf or a burka wearing a suicide vest to express her anger towards Islam. Do you think that would create a bigger controversy and calls for her to be condemned for hate speech? I can assure you, her career WOULD be over and all of her friends would burn their little red Kabballah bracelets.

Madonna isn't doing this to express her repressed Catholic upbringing. From what I've read of her past she came from a very normal middle class Catholic family her mother died young from cancer I believe and her father remarried. How was she repressed? She was hardly forced into any kind of traditional role. She wasn't forced into a convent or forced to marry and have 10 kids. She led a very free life from a young age. She became a sleazy pop star that simulates sex in her stage acts, simulates lesbianism with other pop tarts, makes fun of the Catholic church and uses it's most sacred icon for shock value to gain a buck and has posed with her legs spread apart in a book of sexual poses. She then joined a fake religion that insults Jews IMO. This stuff is done for it's shock value alone and to make even more money to keep her has-been career going. Nothing surprising here except that there will be little outrage. What part of her new-found religion looks favorably upon this type of behavior?

Mel Gibson got drunk and says Jews are responsible for all of the wars in the world. But last I looked he was still married to the same woman, raises his kids to be decent human beings, is married to their mother making them all legitimate, stays away from Hollywood parties and keeps his pants on.

Mel makes a movie about Jesus' death and is mocked and reviled. Madonna makes fun of Jesus and will make a big bunch of money and still be a media darling. Go figure. This country suffers from a lack of moral clarity.
While I agree there is an ego-driven, self-serving component to Madonna's current "display," I also agree that she is rebelling against the religion of her youth through her art. She has always done this. The traditional roles placed on Catholic women CAN feel repressive whether you are forced into them or not. Had Madonna been raised Islamic, I would be willing to bet that - given her personality and chosen career path - she wouldn't hesitate to mock Islam. She's just not hot against Islam because it isn't the organized religion of her youth.

Mel Gibson was hardly mocked and reviled after making The Passion. Gobs of moviegoers flocked to it. It made buckets of money. In Christian circles especially, he was celebrated as visionary. If "Hollywood" criticized him for the making of this film, it was because they were jealous that he was able to hit one out of the park without their help.

Besides, any criticism of The Passion was just free press. Mel didn't care as much about WHAT they said about him or his movie as long as they said it alot and spelled the name correctly. And in this regard, he and Madonna ARE quite similar.

As for Gibson keeping his pants on and staying away from parties, I've seen some recent pictires that might lead one to believe otherwise.

This country doesn't suffer from a lack of moral clarity. This country benefits from an abundance of religious diversity. I don't agree with what Madonna is doing - I think it's tacky and disrespectful - but I believe in at least some of the message behind it. And I believe in her right to do it.

When in Rome, you should "do as the Romans do".

A Sunday concert? That's not very nice.

southcitymom said:
While I agree there is an ego-driven, self-serving component to Madonna's current "display," I also agree that she is rebelling against the religion of her youth through her art. She has always done this. The traditional roles placed on Catholic women CAN feel repressive whether you are forced into them or not. Had Madonna been raised Islamic, I would be willing to bet that - given her personality and chosen career path - she wouldn't hesitate to mock Islam. She's just not hot against Islam because it isn't the organized religion of her youth.

I may disagree with you just a bit. Catholics most likely aren't going to be a hit out on her. Radical Islamics might. She seems like a spoiled big mouth beyotch, but I don't think she's got a death wish.

Jeana (DP) said:
I may disagree with you just a bit. Catholics most likely aren't going to be a hit out on her. Radical Islamics might. She seems like a spoiled big mouth beyotch, but I don't think she's got a death wish.
You might be right about the self-preservatory nature as regards dissing Islam...but still, it's Madonna. She's got stones.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back