How not to get a date

BhamMama

Former Member
Reaction score
With this kind of weirdness out there I'd not ever go anywhere!

http://prdifferently.typepad.com/my...ot_to_act_.html

"snip from story" Our story opens with some background: For the uninitiated, (those who don't live in either New York, Florida, Los Angeles, or Israel,) J-Date is match.com for Jews. I've used it. I've had a few good dates from it, a few horrible dates from it, like most everyone has.

And when you have one of those horrible dates, you chalk it up. "Oh, it was just dinner," you say.

That's life. There'll be other dates. Right?

I mean, that's what we all do, yes?

NOT DARREN SHERMAN. Darren just felt... Well, "wronged. ""end of snip"
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________

Hysterically funny! And what is odder is that this is a real case, but it was an urban legend first - it was an urban legend going around in 2004, and this case really happened (confirmed by Snopes) in 2006!

I can believe it though - some people really do think of everything in life like a business transaction ... but in the dating world, what does that make you if it's all about trading money for services....?

Man, I am in shock. I can't believe the nerve of this guy. I would have called the police because this definitely constitutes harrassment.

If I were in a similar situation where I knew that I didn't like the guy, I would have insisted on paying for my dinner. I would not want to feel obligated in any way to the guy.

I am thinking that she may have casually said, 'I'll call you.' as she was leaving but had no intention of calling.

I think that Joanne can learn a lesson here, too. She should have just told Darren that she didn't think that they were compatible and therefore would feel more comfortable paying her share of the bill. If he still insisted on paying (which most gracious guys would have), then so be it.

It sounds like she was thinking of going out with him again - but he hit her up with the bill when she didn't call fast enough - and that guarenteed that she wouldn't want to go out with him.

In any case, not something you always know during the dinner - sometimes it seems to be working, then they do or say something at the end of the date...

This is a classic---having been on many "personal ad"-type blind dates myself about 15 years go,I can relate to the bad date experience---but this guy is a psycho---doesn't seem to take rejection very well,does he--too funny

This guy (other then being stalkerish) has waaaaaaay too much time on his hands. It's like he made this $50 meal his mission in life now. Jeeeeez!! :boohoo:

This is hilarious! I have been following this for a couple of weeks and they actually have t-shirts at cafe press that say stuff like "Do the right thing", "You ate the food, you drank the wine..." and "You owe $50".

Details said:
It sounds like she was thinking of going out with him again - but he hit her up with the bill when she didn't call fast enough - and that guarenteed that she wouldn't want to go out with him.

In any case, not something you always know during the dinner - sometimes it seems to be working, then they do or say something at the end of the date...

I had a great time on a blind date in college...the guy and I seemed to be so compatible, he was so sweet and brought me flowers...we went to dinner and a movie...we were getting along great....I was thinking maybe I'd met Mr. Right...and then he tried to attack me. :slap:

Oh my goodness!!! What a tee total :loser: Darren, you are a true weenie. We should have annual 'Weenie Awards'.

Glad she saw his true colors before things got a little more serious between them. The guy obviously has quite a few self-esteem issues...and asking for the money back. Yeah...tacky.

Ya Know it occured to me today ...

Darren committed credit card fruad. He called the restaruant and lied and then called his CC company to reverse charges.
He willingly and knowingly paid the bill then tried to lie to get the charges reversed..
Maybe someone should call AMEX??
Send them the article?? Hit wonder boy where it hurts:)

Details said:
It sounds like she was thinking of going out with him again...
The reason that I don't really believe this is Joanne said that she was out of town and just returned (2 1/2 weeks later). My husband travels quite a bit with his job, but he is not gone 2 1/2 weeks at a time. ;)

Amraann said:
...Darren committed credit card fruad. He called the restaruant and lied and then called his CC company to reverse charges.
He willingly and knowingly paid the bill then tried to lie to get the charges reversed..
Maybe someone should call AMEX??
Send them the article?? Hit wonder boy where it hurts:)
I was hoping that the restaurant would not refund part of the bill. That wasn't very clear to me. The bill was legitimately his responsibility. He ate the food; he drank the wine; he socialized with his date; and he paid the bill. He's an idiot!

nanandjim said:
The reason that I don't really believe this is Joanne said that she was out of town and just returned (2 1/2 weeks later). My husband travels quite a bit with his job, but he is not gone 2 1/2 weeks at a time. ;)
You'd be surprised.

nanandjim said:
I work as an Admin and one of my guys is routinely out of town for weeks at a time. Heck once just back from 3 months in Japan and 1 just got back from 2 weeks in India. Oh, and one guy is leaving for CA for 3 - 4 weeks, they are not sure how long just yet. It's not uncommon for them to be gone weeks at a time especially if they are consulting on a job or if they are trying to clean up somone elses mess.

Maybe he should start taking his dates to McyD's for dinner. That way he gets his money worth. She can claim that the tooth pulling conversation was her payment for the 3.00 meal... lol

nanandjim said:
I was hoping that the restaurant would not refund part of the bill. That wasn't very clear to me. The bill was legitimately his responsibility. He ate the food; he drank the wine; he socialized with his date; and he paid the bill. He's an idiot!
The restaurant didn't refund his money. They spoke to Joanne, and, after hearing her side of the story, dropped his claim. And, I read on another site that he is now BANNED from China Grill. And, two more things:
1. He has made several attempts to date on JDate since then, but once his dates see this forward, they cancel.
2. He tried to sue Joanne for libel once this whole story broke but the case was thrown out because she was telling the truth.

bykerladi said:
The restaurant didn't refund his money. They spoke to Joanne, and, after hearing her side of the story, dropped his claim. And, I read on another site that he is now BANNED from China Grill. And, two more things:
1. He has made several attempts to date on JDate since then, but once his dates see this forward, they cancel.
2. He tried to sue Joanne for libel once this whole story broke but the case was thrown out because she was telling the truth.
Wow! Thanks for the update. This guy has a serious screw loose. Can you imagine being married to this guy? He certainly has some control issues, doesn't he?? :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back