Robin Williams Enters Rehab

southcitymom

Reaction score
Website
www.janicefahy.com
I read another article that said he's in Hazeldon.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/entertainment/content/shared-gen/ap/Movies/Robin_Williams.html

Robin Williams Seeks Help for Alcoholism

LOS ANGELES — Robin Williams is seeking treatment for alcoholism, publicist Mara Buxbaum said Wednesday. The 55-year-old comedian had been sober for 20 years, Buxbaum said.

Williams "found himself drinking again and has decided to take proactive measures to deal with this for his own well-being and the well-being of his family," she said in a statement. "He looks forward to returning to work this fall to support his upcoming film releases."

Alcoholism is a lifelong battle. That's why alcoholics refer to themselves as "recovering", and why they take it "one day at a time".

I wonder if Mel Gibson's blowout influenced Robin Williams at all? Did he think "that could be me next if I don't get my act together"?

I applaud him for recognizing his need to revisit his treatment. I wish him well.

I didn't know Robin Williams was an alcoholic, must have missed that :p

I wonder what it was, after 20 years of not having a drink, that made him have one...maybe Mel's public humiliation did have something to do with it, who knows..

narlacat said:
maybe Mel's public humiliation did have something to do with it, who knows..
I was thinking the same thing.

I thought I heard this last night on ET while I was in the kitchen. My BF who was sitting right in front of the TV said, "I dunno", when I asked him if I heard right. What a numbnut LOL

sandraladeda said:
Alcoholism is a lifelong battle. That's why alcoholics refer to themselves as "recovering", and why they take it "one day at a time".

I wonder if Mel Gibson's blowout influenced Robin Williams at all? Did he think "that could be me next if I don't get my act together"?

I applaud him for recognizing his need to revisit his treatment. I wish him well.

I think it did. If I recall correctly I think RW was one of the 1st to offer Mel best wishes in his recovery.

narlacat said:
I didn't know Robin Williams was an alcoholic, must have missed that :p

I wonder what it was, after 20 years of not having a drink, that made him have one...maybe Mel's public humiliation did have something to do with it, who knows..
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/15236689.htm

He has been drinking again for three years. I read a story (can't find link now) that says he started drinking again while filming a movie three years ago. He looked into the mini-bar in his hotel room and thought he could have just one drink and that led to him polishing off all the alcohol in the mini-bar and that led to more. I guess he has been trying to control in for three years and his wife finally gave him an ultimatum.

It just goes to show that if an addict does not make staying sober his first priority on a daily basis, he won't stay sober. Time sober is no guarantee.

Prayers to him and his family.

I'm sure one of his closest friends (Christopher Reeve) dying has impacted him, as well as Dana dying... and now he's raising their son. He's suffered many losses in the past few years. I'm not saying any of the above caused him to drink, but it certainly could have made me drink!

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm a huge fan of Robin Williams!! I wish him the best!!!
I'm a huge fan as well. Loved him in Good Will Hunting, Mrs Doubtfire, Insomnia and he was mega-creepy in One Hour Photo (I think that's the name of it?).
Very talented actor, I too applaud his initiative in seeking treatment and wish him well :cool:

I met Robin Williams and got his autograph when I was a teen, he was very nice.

I didn't know that Robin Williams and his wife were raising Christopher and Dana Reeves son. Didn't the boy have any aunts and uncles I wonder? Robin Williams household is probably a fun household to live in though.

Robin Williams is Bi-Polar. That may have had something to do with his drinking long ago. Meds have gotten more successful for people with this illness and maybe that is how he has been able to maintain his sobriety until three years ago. It's hard to say why he took that first drink after all of those years but the relapse doesn't happen when you take the frist drink. It begins way before that and builds up to actually taking the first drink or using the first drug. That is great that he has gone into a good treatment center and will get that solid foundation under his feet again and figure out what happened. Maybe Mel's drinking did have something to do with Robin going into treatment...along with his wife. It could have been Robin that got stopped and acted the same way Mel did or maybe about some other subject.
I saw Robin on Johnny Carson years ago when he was in a manic phase of his
Bi-Polar and it was awful. I felt sorry for him he was so out there and didn't make a lick of sense but just rambled on and on and on. I don't know why he wasn't kept off of the show. It really was horrible.

Never heard Robin was bi polar. He has admitted to once having a cocaine problem. Perhaps that made him appear to be bi polar.

Anyway, good for him getting back sober. He is hilarious and a great actor. He has a new creepy movie coming out I want to see. And I think he is a good person too.

wow, i didn't know this....heck, i never knew that Robin Williams had a 'problem' with alcohol....

i've been so obsessed w/the March trial, i haven't kept up with "up to the minute"...lol

anyway, i wish the best for Robin Williams..

I remember back in the 80's Robin Williams settled a multi million dollar lawsuit filed by a Modesto woman that sued him for failing to disclose he had herpes and had infected her with the virus.

ewww.

I love Robin Williams. He is always nuts. Funnier than heck. He had that Cocaine problem, messed around and married the nanny. With being an addict though it can come back and bite you anytime. Good for him and his family to know the SERIOUS measures they have to go to.

No details yet but that his wife is the one who pettioned for the divorce in San Francisco.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenzo2011
Back