FL - Harold Lima, 21 mos, dies in hot truck, Stuart, 10 Aug 2006

Shadow205

Reaction score
STUART — Police are investigating the death of a 21-month-old boy who was found dead in the back of his mother's truck after she allegedly forgot he was sleeping in the vehicle and spent much of the day at work cleaning houses, authorities said.

<snip>

The mother told investigators she'd dropped her other child off at school at 8 a.m., but forgot to take the younger child, who was asleep in the back, to daycare. She cleaned several houses during the day and went to get supplies at the Dollar General in the plaza, said Stuart police spokesman Sgt. Marty Jacobson.

"When she came back out to the truck to put away the groceries, she realized she had left the child," Jacobsen said. Neither the mother nor the child have been identified.

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_4908108,00.html

This just keeps happening over and over again. Prayers to the family of this little angel.

SAD SAD SAD News.....I want to believe this was a honset mistake look's like the mother was working hard to try to support her family..see where they sayed she spend most of the day cleaning several houses.. but look's like sometime she would notice the kid in her truck..

I wonder if she couldnt afford daycare so she brought him along and kept him strapped in the car so she could work? She dropped the boy off at school at 8am & didnt realize baby was in car until after 4pm? I really hope this is an honest terrible TERRIBLE mistake on her part.

I swear I am so tired of seeing this kind of stuff. Am I the only person who thinks about their child on and off all day long? I mean for crying out loud how do you forget a child? Please someone help me understand? I mean there has to be something to do to put a stop to this!!!!

That poor baby was the same age as my sweet baby girl, 21 months :(

Reading stories like this has made me extra paranoid...even when I *know* I've left DD at home with her daddy, I still double and triplecheck when I get out of the car to make sure I haven't left her in the carseat.

I too pray it was an honest mistake. But Michelle, like you, I seem to think about her almost constantly, so it's hard to imagine totally forgetting her in the car.

It seems like with technology being what it is, that some kind of built-in alarm system could be developed in child safety seats where when the car is shut off, an obnoxious alarm goes off until someone manually GOES TO the car seat and shuts it off.

Lisa :(

Lisahas2cats said:
That poor baby was the same age as my sweet baby girl, 21 months :(

Reading stories like this has made me extra paranoid...even when I *know* I've left DD at home with her daddy, I still double and triplecheck when I get out of the car to make sure I haven't left her in the carseat.

I too pray it was an honest mistake. But Michelle, like you, I seem to think about her almost constantly, so it's hard to imagine totally forgetting her in the car.

It seems like with technology being what it is, that some kind of built-in alarm system could be developed in child safety seats where when the car is shut off, an obnoxious alarm goes off until someone manually GOES TO the car seat and shuts it off.

Lisa :(
I just honestly dont get it, I swear when my son is with my hubby I am calling making sure they are ok and checking on them all the time. I cant imagine going all day and not even thinking one time about my child.

This happens more than we want to know. Life is hectic, but what is causing so much distraction that parents are forgetting the children are in the car?

Beyond Belief said:
This happens more than we want to know. Life is hectic, but what is causing so much distraction that parents are forgetting the children are in the car?
Thats what I want to know. I mean I feel for the parents but I feel for the children more that this is happening too. Are these parents charged with anything when this happens?

I wonder how many of these "accidents" are truly accidental and how many are intentional. Not saying this one is....but I often wonder when I hear of these cases in the news.

michelle said:
I swear I am so tired of seeing this kind of stuff. Am I the only person who thinks about their child on and off all day long? I mean for crying out loud how do you forget a child? Please someone help me understand? I mean there has to be something to do to put a stop to this!!!!
My daughter is 23 and living in another state...but I still think about her all the time..and if she doesnt answer her phone when I ring..panic sets in.....Michelle give yourself a pat on the back..you are a good mum.

I really don't have enough background on this woman to really judge this woman right now..This one of these case's you hope that it's not what it look's like...

Another one. This is just so sad. I wonder if this mom is a single mom and was in a hurry and just forgot the little one was in the truck? I'm beginning to think that car seats should be put in the front seat instead of the back seat.
I know the back seat is safer but if the baby was sitting right there beside you it wouldn't matter how big of a hurry you were in or where your mind was...you would see the baby when you were getting out of the car. I think it is a good idea to put your purse by the car seat in the back when you put the baby in the car seat. That way the baby won't be forgotten either.

I'm sure it is a hectic life for single working mothers who don't have the help of a husband when they are feeding the kids and dressing them in the morning and then rushing out the door to get the kids to daycare or school and on to their jobs. I don't know how they do the whole job because they don't have anyone to help with dinner or the house or anything else either. They probably get to bed late and are up early. When I think about the hectic pace of a single mom it isn't surprising that they forget.

I hope this was an accident too. There is nothing so far said that would make me think that it wasn't. I can't imagine being in the shoes of that mother. It is just heartbreaking all the way around.

Stories like this terrify me. Next week, I'll be going to CA for 10 days and my kid's father will be taking them to and from daycare and my daughter will be starting kindergarten. I'm absolutely terrified he will forget to drop them off or the daycare will forget where she needs to get off the bus, because this just isn't the norm for my ex or my daughter. I just PRAY with everything I have that things will be OK while I'm gone. If it weren't for the fact that I HAD to go in order to keep my job, I'd definitely try to get out of it. Their dad is really good, he's just not used to caring for them 24/7 and I could see how he'd easily forget to pick them up or something.
smlytruce.gif
He'll probably get tired of me calling to remind him.
hand.gif

I honestly will never understand how you forget that your child is in the backseat of your car whether it's your normal routine or not!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

From an article this morning this is sounding like the little one was asleep so the mother opted to take the older child to school first. Some how she forgot the sleeping infant was still in the car. Regular school has only been in session since Monday so this was a new routine. I am thinking she was use to dropping both children off at the same time. There have been many reports of massive confusion at the schools with traffic jams, etc. I think this mother lost her focus. Not an excuse of course.

update

Mother whose toddler died in truck facing manslaughter charge

STUART – A Golden Gate mother whose 21-month-old son was found dead after she forgot him in her truck was charged with aggravated manslaughter late Thursday, police said.
Nellier Lima, 26, was being held without bail at the Martin County Jail on Friday morning.
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_4910155,00.html

O.K. some smart person has to come up with a method and device to prevent this from happening.

For example: An alarm, that is set when a child is placed in the back seat, so every 5 minutes or so the alarm goes off to "remind" the parent that the child is in a car seat or in the back seat, or a "camera" that is in the front seat so the parent can "see" the child is in the back seat.....I don't care what device, method, alarm, etc. just something..........to prevent the needless and preventable deaths of young children....

Fix the air bag problem, that kills kids, and require infants be placed in the front seat.

CyberLaw said:
O.K. some smart person has to come up with a method and device to prevent this from happening.

Eyeballs. Takes a split second to look in the backseat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back