NE NE - Jillian Cutshall, 9, Norfolk, 13 Aug 1987

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/126dfne.html

Jillian Dee Cutshall
Missing since August 13, 1987 from Norfolk, Madison County, Nebraska.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: February 19, 1978
Age at Time of Disappearance: 9 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'6; 65 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde straight hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: A two inch vertical scar on the crown of her head and a horizontal scar on her right top lip. She has pierced ears.
<LI>Clothing: A purple shirt, blue jeans and white Nike Tennis shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Cutshall was last seen at 6:30 a.m. walking to her babysitter's house which was four blocks from her home on August 13, 1987.
Her clothes turned up in a wooded area 10 miles away near Stanton three months later.
David Phelps was charged and convicted of Jill's abduction. He is doing life in state prison.

I'm surprised he hasn't "bragged" to any fellow inmates. He can't be tried for her murder now, I don't think, so he should just confess...

I don't see why they couldn't charge him with murder if they wanted to. Kidnapping is an entirely different offense, so double jeopardy wouldn't apply. It's just a matter of (A) having enough evidence to prove murder and (B) Is it worth it to prosecute. Many people would say it would be a waste of taxpayer money to prosecute a man for murder when he's serving a life sentence anyway.

I think, and I may be wrong, that double jeopardy isn't about the charge, its about the underlying actions. So, in this instance, he kidnapped and killed her, and both actions are interrelated. He was already charged with kidnapping and tried, so any actions related to that kidnapping can't be brought later - that's why criminals are charged with multiple counts.

Well, Lindsay Bruce was convicted of kidnapping Emily Rimel and now that they've found her body he's been charged with murder, if I recall correctly. I don't see how this couldn't work for Jill too -- assuming they ever find her remains, which is unlikely.

Well, I say give it a shot, worst case scenario the defense throws it out...

This week marks the 25th anniversary of the kidnapping of 9-year-old Jill Cutshall of Norfolk &#8212; a crime that shocked many and still is not completely resolved.

This is the 1st installment of a four-day series of stories taking another look at the tragic situation

http://www.norfolkdailynews.com/news/where-s-jill-after-years-question-still-unanswered/article_32c59b50-e553-11e1-a7f5-001a4bcf6878.html

2nd Installment

http://www.norfolkdailynews.com/news/no-body-weapon-or-witnesses/article_7dae9576-e621-11e1-925d-001a4bcf6878.html

This is one of the saddest cases. She looks like such a beautiful child. All children can be regarded beautiful but she really looks very beautiful. From what I have read, her father lived in a bad apartment house. Phelps lived there with the other pedophile, Kermit Baumgartner. Jill's father was acquainted with the two of them. Jill was scared to be alone in the apartment because of the environment and that's why she had a babysitter. And she disappeared from the babysitter's porch. She and Phelps were seen together so she probably trusted him. Her parents were divorced and her mother did not know pedophiles resided in Jill's father's apartment complex.

Her parents deserve to know where she is.

Jill Cutshall: 29 years later, police still don't know what happened to 9-year-old

http://journalstar.com/jill-cutshall-years-later-police-still-don-t-know-what/article_2776205f-2faa-5173-974a-86d05aefd5b0.html

Early on Aug. 13, 1987, Jill Cutshall's stepmother saw the 9-year-old laying out her clothes -- jeans and a purple shirt -- in their Norfolk apartment.

It was the last time she would see her stepdaughter.

Three months later, a hunter would find those clothes, along with the girl's underwear, shoes and keys, in a wildlife area a dozen miles southeast of town, near Stanton.

And a Norfolk man, David Phelps, would be given a life sentence for kidnapping her nearly 30 years ago.

But his trial left so many questions.

&#8220;We've never determined exactly what happened to Jill,&#8221; Norfolk Police Chief Bill Mizner said.

Today, Phelps has an appeal pending. And the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children has a photo of what Jill might look like now -- she would be 38 -- on its website.

Norfolk police consider it a suspended case.

Police Capt. Mike Bauer said they can go months, if not years, without new information, but occasionally developments turn up.

He and Chief Mizner said they don&#8217;t think any officer involved in a case like Jill's ever wants to give up. They want to be able to give the family answers.

&#8220;I don't know if she's alive or not, but if we get any information, we still will follow it up,&#8221; Mizner said.

He&#8217;s learned never to say never, though he knows that the passing years make it less likely they&#8217;ll ever learn more.

Charley Project

cutshall_jillian3.jpg
cutshall_jillian_ap.jpg

Pretty crazy story how the PI got Phelps to confess...seems like an interesting conviction

As of yesterday, Jillian has been missing for 34 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back