Web Site Unites Mothers Who Used Same Sperm Donor

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
NEDERLAND, Colo. (Aug. 12) - Michelle Jorgenson thought it was odd that her 8-year-old daughter Cheyenne - conceived with sperm from a mystery man known to Jorgenson only as Donor 3066 - was extremely sensitive to sound and walked on her toes
Jorgenson started checking on the Internet and soon learned of at least six other children around the country who were fathered by 3066. And of those seven, she discovered to her alarm, two have autism, and two others, Cheyenne included, show signs of a sensory disorder tied closely to autism.

The children's mothers located one another beginning a year ago through the Donor Sibling Registry, a Web site run out of this Colorado mountain town. It enables mothers artificially inseminated by the same donor - and children fathered by the same man - to find each other.

In this case, the women all used 3066, whose sperm was provided by the California Cryobank, based in Los Angeles. http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_...used-same/20060811142109990002?_ccc=5&cid=842
More..........

I read this in the paper (yesterday). All the kids looked like siblings (the girls looked like twins).

I would think that this would be facinating for researchers...

Autism is one of the disorders that seem to have no clear-cut predictors or causes. Here are "siblings" that have lived in different environments, been vaccinated at different times, and probably with different vaccines and have the same type of symptom, possibly all carried by the father...

I do hope though that the mom who said she wished she would have known and she wouldn't have chosen that donor keeps her opinion more to herself. I would never wish a child to be ill, but for a child to hear that mom wishes that child was a "different" child is kinda sad.... :croc:

Lynie

What a cool kind of "club" to belong to and foster friendships with the other women involved. It's kind of neat for the extended children as well.

Lynie I was thinking the same thing..

However genetics is one cause for certain rhealms of autism. When I first started researching it it was said that it was virtually impossible that syblings would both have Autism. Since then I have met several families with more then one autistic child or syblings with varying degrees of the disorder.
What is a shame is that most Dr's still tell parents that its unlikely to happen.
Its VERY likely and parents should be informed of that.

About these women.... I think its nice that their children will know their syblings but they all agreed that the Donor would not be known and he donated with that notion in mind.
I think its pretty obvious that he has some genetic make up predispositioned towards Autism but I don't think these women have the right to know who he is.
I doubt the man had any idea that his offspring would be prone to autisim.
For that matter like I stated above most Dr's still ignore the genetic links.
If researchers wanted to probe that there are plenty of families to look at.

These women have no right even for a health reason to know who this man is.
Certainly that was explained to them when they requested the "donation".

I agree they don't have a right to know who he is. I think they stated the mothers were wanting the cryo bank to go back for a more detailed heath history since they now know that several of the children that resulted from his donation now have autism.

I am not sure what to think about the request. Initially the donor was asked about his health history, etc and then he was to go back and list the health history of the past 3 generations.

My daughter has a hereditary disease, however she is the first in the family that this has shown up in because the rest of us have just been carriers. It was the luck of the draw that I happend to meet someone that was a carrier also. This could also be the case with the donor's family. There might be no instance of autism at all in his family and they are just carriers and by chance these three woman might be carriers and thus resulting in autisitc children. Therefore, their request for a more detailed health history would lead to no more information that they already know.

No, they have no right to know who he is, but they should certainly let the bank know there is a problem - so they can take their product off the market.

Amraann said:
Lynie I was thinking the same thing..

However genetics is one cause for certain rhealms of autism. When I first started researching it it was said that it was virtually impossible that syblings would both have Autism. Since then I have met several families with more then one autistic child or syblings with varying degrees of the disorder.
What is a shame is that most Dr's still tell parents that its unlikely to happen.
Its VERY likely and parents should be informed of that.

About these women.... I think its nice that their children will know their syblings but they all agreed that the Donor would not be known and he donated with that notion in mind.
I think its pretty obvious that he has some genetic make up predispositioned towards Autism but I don't think these women have the right to know who he is.
I doubt the man had any idea that his offspring would be prone to autisim.
For that matter like I stated above most Dr's still ignore the genetic links.
If researchers wanted to probe that there are plenty of families to look at.

These women have no right even for a health reason to know who this man is.
Certainly that was explained to them when they requested the "donation".

GlitchWizard said:
No, they have no right to know who he is, but they should certainly let the bank know there is a problem - so they can take their product off the market.
I disagree that there is a 'problem'....I believe with all my heart that there is NO problem with having an autistic or handicapped child. Anyone that is Blessed with such a child, IMO, was specially chosen for that child and vice versa. I do not have any autistic or handicapped children, but I do have a mentally handicapped sister and do have friends with autistic children, and they are such a blessing, a blessing to their parents, family and friends. God wanted these children born this way for some reason, a problem, no.

ETA...OK, maybe I am not understanding and being a little defensive. After thinking a few minutes, some people may see this as a 'problem'..me personally, I don't.

I don't agree. Maybe this man is just a carrier of the gene that results in autism. Therefore other women who use him might not be affected at all.

I am a carrier for a potentially fatal disease...but am perfectly healthy. There are millions of people in the world who have a hereditary make up that is fine, but paired with the wrong individual would pose a risk to future children.

If I were ever lucky enough to meet prince charming, I now know I am a carrier and we would have to discuss testing to see if he was a carrier also before deciding on children, if they were to be a part of our future.

I believe the article stated that the Sperm Bank is aware and although they still permit use of his sperm they warn the women that the sperm may result in a child with complications or health problems.

CHris I don't think Glitch meant anything insulting.
It most certainly is a problem. I am not saying that we don't love and adore our autistic or disabled children but most definately if given the option to avoid having an autistic child we would.
If only so that we don't see our child suffer through it.

In light of the fact that many of the women seem to have autistic children or children with autistic like sensory traights I do not think this man's sperm should be used further. The Article also pointed out the lack of regulation going on at sperm banks. I think that with the type of evidence these women have that this man potentially has autistic children it is wholly unethical to continue offering his sperm.

Amraann said:
CHris I don't think Glitch meant anything insulting.
I agree, that's why I ETA. After thinking I am sure it was not meant the way I initially 'took' it.

Well who the heck is this guy that so many women want his sperm anyway? ;)

Does his sperm have some other "outstanding credentials" that we don't know about? For example maybe he has a very hi IQ in his "donor profile".

LOL I have no idea how these things work...it might be good for the medical community to research this to possibly shed light on genetic predispositions to autism, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back