GUILTY VA - Cpl. Eric Sutphin, 40, & Derrick McFarland, 26, shot to death, 20 Aug 2006

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Hospital Security Officer murdered
BLACKSBURG, Va. — An inmate escaped from a hospital Sunday after wresting a pistol away from a deputy and fatally shooting an unarmed security guard, officials said. William Charles Morva, 24, remained at large Sunday, as officials searched for him on foot and in helicopters.

Morva, who was jailed on charges of robbing a deli, was taken to the Montgomery Regional Hospital emergency room in handcuffs and leg irons after he suffered a sprained wrist and ankle, Sheriff Tommy Whitt said.

He overpowered a deputy and took his pistol. Shots were fired, killing hospital security guard Derrick McFarland, 26, as he tried to help the deputy.

I guess they must have removed the handcuffs and leg irons once he was there. Glad I don't live there!!!

BLACKSBURG -- A law enforcement officer was shot this morning near where the Huckleberry Trail crosses Tech Center Drive on the edge of Virginia Tech campus, near Miller Street, about a block from the Blacksburg Police station.

His condition was not known, according to a Blacksburg Police spokesman.

The suspect in the shooting, William Morva, remains at large and a manhunt has closed that section of Blacksburg and Tech campus around the Southgate Drive exit from U.S. 460 and the north side of the Virginia Tech-Montgomery Executive Airport. Officers from multiple police agencies are searching for Morva using a helicopter and dogs.

Morva also is accused of killing a security guard at Montgomery Regional Hospital early Sunday. The killing came after Morva, who had been in Montgomery County Jail awaiting trial on charges of trying to rob a store last year, was taken to the emergency room in the early morning hours Sunday. He attacked the deputy guarding him, took his gun, and shot the security guard, according to police.

This morning's shooting apparently occurred around 7:15 a.m. There is no word yet on the officer's condition.

more at the link:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/79080

I read this article several times trying to figure out if the police officer that has been shot is the same one who was overpowered and his gun taken. It appears that it is a different officer. Morva shot the security guard, injured the deputy guarding him and now has shot another police officer.

We have a WS's member who lives very near where this happened, maybe they'll post an update soon.

prisoner's get 200% better health care than we do.. check into it yourself's it's a shame,,,by the time they put a person that murder a complete family in the electral chair they are in the top 10% of the most health people in the nation and we got children and a lot of adult's now without no health care at all

welder 79 said:
prisoner's get 200% better health care than we do.. check into it yourself's it's a shame,,,by the time they put a person that murder a complete family in the electral chair they are in the top 10% of the most health people in the nation and we got children and a lot of adult's now without no health care at all
I don't know about other inmates, only the ones I know personally. I know that my ex boyfriend was diagnosed with hepatitis C in prison back in 1985 and was never treated for it in the Florida system until 2005. Each time a tooth hurt him, or any other inmate I know, it was pulled. There was no option for root canal or whatever to fix it - like we have options. If it hurts, it's pulled and that's it.

Maybe it's better health care than for those who have no insurance - but if my health care was that poor, I'd be raising the roof to do something about it.

Police Seal Off Virginia Tech Campus in Hunt for Escaped Inmate Suspected in 2 Shootings

BLACKSBURG, Va. Aug 21, 2006 (AP)— Virginia Tech shut down its campus Monday and ordered everyone to remain inside as authorities searched for an escaped inmate suspected of killing a hospital guard and shooting a police officer near the university.

William Morva, 24, had been reported seen on the campus, authorities said.

more at the link http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2338198

According to FOX news, a 2nd officer, a deputy sheriff has now died. Looking for a link on that....

EMERGENCY ADVISORY 10:30 a.m. -- University to cancel remaining classes

BLACKSBURG, VA., August 21, 2006 -- In an effort to help law enforcement officials, all remaining classes will be canceled. Students should return to their residence hall rooms or apartments and not venture out.

Employees are asked to remain in their offices until further notice.

The south side of campus (south of Washington Street) remains blocked off by police. Those roads are closed to vehicular traffic.

Police continue to pursue the William Morva, the escaped prisoner from the Montgomery County Jail who is a suspect a homicide case. Police report the suspect is now wearing a tie-dye shirt, khaki shorts and is barefoot.

http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php?relyear=2006&itemno=434

The Deputy Sheriff that was shot and killed this morning while searching for this suspect was on the Huckleberry Trail. Here is a link about the Huckleberry Trail :

The Huckleberry Trail is an asphalt-paved bike/pedestrian path. The trail currently runs from the Blacksburg library to the New River Mall. There are distance markers every half mile. At 2.83 miles it crosses the road to Warm Hearth, at 3.43 miles it crosses Hightop, and at 3.90 it crosses Merimac. The total distance from the library to the mall is 5.762 miles.

<snip>

Kurt Krause, a Virginia Tech vice president explains, "The suspect is armed, he has no problems with shooting. ... We don't need innocent people being around the area."

Josh Burnheimer, 20, a Virginia Tech junior from Ashburn, Virginia tells CNN, "The fact that the guy can blend in so well with campus students is kind of scary... Everywhere you look there are police snipers on the roof."
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7004604437

Some information on the Deputy who was killed this morning:

The Montgomery County Sheriff's Department said Cpl. Eric E. Sutphin was fatally shot by William Morva as he closed in on the suspect on a trail off of the Tech campus. Sutphin was a decorated 13-year veteran of the department.
http://www.wvec.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8JKTFKO0.html

Okay so you are in jail for robbing a deli? How many years could that possibly get you, huh? So you decide to steal a LE officers gun, you shoot and kill and UNARMED security guard then you shoot and kill an LE officer. Yeah, smart thinking there idiot!!!! Because of your stupidity 2 men have lost their lives. Skip the trial just put him in front of a firing squad and be done with it. This scum deserves no 'due process'. He sure as hell didn't give any 'due process' to the two men he killed.

curious1 said:
Okay so you are in jail for robbing a deli? How many years could that possibly get you, huh? So you decide to steal a LE officers gun, you shoot and kill and UNARMED security guard then you shoot and kill an LE officer. Yeah, smart thinking there idiot!!!! Because of your stupidity 2 men have lost their lives. Skip the trial just put him in front of a firing squad and be done with it. This scum deserves no 'due process'. He sure as hell didn't give any 'due process' to the two men he killed.
You know, when he robbed the deli, he tried to hide in the store until the cops left. Unfortunately, he hid on a scale and it gave him away (weigh).

:laugh: :laugh:

GlitchWizard said:
You know, when he robbed the deli, he tried to hide in the store until the cops left. Unfortunately, he hid on a scale and it gave him away (weigh).
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! ROTHLMAO!!!! That was too good. Ow, my side hurts. :p

I don't know about other inmates, only the ones I know personally. I know that my ex boyfriend was diagnosed with hepatitis C in prison back in 1985 and was never treated for it in the Florida system until 2005. Each time a tooth hurt him, or any other inmate I know, it was pulled. There was no option for root canal or whatever to fix it - like we have options. If it hurts, it's pulled and that's it.

Maybe it's better health care than for those who have no insurance - but if my health care was that poor, I'd be raising the roof to do something about it.

There was no effective treatment for hepatitis C until much more recently. Not every disease has a good treatment or cure.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back