MI - Karie Bowman, 5 mo, dies of cocaine OD, West Branch, 21 Aug 2005

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-37/115628185525480.xml&storylist=newsmichigan

WEST BRANCH, Mich. (AP) — A 23-year-old woman who authorities say was responsible for her infant daughter's death after feeding her breast milk containing cocaine was bound over to circuit court Tuesday.

Sara Shelby, of West Branch, faces one count of involuntary manslaughter, a 15-year felony, in the Aug. 21, 2005, death of her 5-month-old daughter, Karie Lee Bowman. She remains free on bond and was ordered to appear in Ogemaw County Circuit Court on Sept. 20 for arraignment.

more at link

That is so terrible. That poor baby. I remember how wired my son was when I overdid the caffeine once while I was still nursing-after watching my tired baby trying desperately to sleep but not able to from being so twitchy and wired I knew it was time to give up the caffeine. I knew it was from the caffeine because he looked just like me when I really overdid caffeinne :(

What a stupid woman! And why mix breast milk with formula and bottle-feed? That seems to remove a good deal of the PURPOSE of breast-feeding. I hope jail time will wisen her up. And I hope they DO make an example of her so other mothers will see that they can't do this. She must have had a mighty lot in her system for this to happen.

Is it too much to hope that she will not have any more children? It's highly unlikely she will give up the cocaine habit. They are not compatible, children and cocaine.

Sheromom said:
And why mix breast milk with formula and bottle-feed? That seems to remove a good deal of the PURPOSE of breast-feeding.
Mixing breastfeeding and formula feeding is not uncommon at all. Some women do it because they work and can't pump or can't pump enough milk so they supplement the breast milk with formula. Others breastfeed and supplement with formula when they go out instead of pumping. Babies still receive great benefits from breastfeeding even if they are supplemented part time with formula and supplementing is wonderful for many moms who want to continue to nurse and work. Of course loading up on cocaine pretty much kills the benefits of nursing....but apparently that would have been more common sense than this woman had!

KJERVIS said:
"Shelby's defense attorney, William D. Engemann, said others known to use cocaine were around the baby and the infant could have chewed on keys that were used by Shelby to ingest cocaine."

http://www.mlive.com/news/bctimes/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1156346201307350.xml&coll=4

This is a defense? How criminal, poor little babe.

Now why would there be cocaine on the keys? Maybe the baby licked the mirror where the cocaine was cut or maybe she was putting the staw in her mouth that mom used to snot the cocaine.....that makes about as much sense.

What a horrible thing to do to a little baby. Sounds like the attorney is saying that the mom hung out with a bunch of junkies doesn't it! If this woman does have another baby and if CPA and the hospitals are on the ball it won't leave the hospital with her. Especially is she is in the same town. I hope she has to serve the full 15 yrs.

WEST BRANCH, Mich. -- A woman accused of causing the death of her infant daughter by feeding her breast milk containing cocaine has pleaded guilty to attempted manslaughter.

Sara Shelby of West Branch stopped short of admitting Thursday that she killed her 5- month-old daughter with breast milk contaminated by the drug.

Karie Bowman died Aug. 21, 2005, and a medical examiner ruled the infant died of cocaine intoxication.

Shelby faces up to five years in prison when sentenced next month.

http://www.wjactv.com/family/10733921/detail.html

What happened to the up to 15 yrs in prison? I know, she pled guilty so they are giving her the deal of a lifetime! That is so much bull and it makes me so furious. She should have to serve the full 15 years....and she should have pled guilty because she is guilty. What a message that sends out to other mothers hooked on cocaine with little babies.

Sara Shelby

Sentence: 1 year 6 months
Sentence date: 02/07/2007
Discharge Date: 04/22/2008

This woman did just over 14 months for killing her baby. 14 months. How is this justice?

Sara Shelby

Sentence: 1 year 6 months
Sentence date: 02/07/2007
Discharge Date: 04/22/2008

This woman did just over 14 months for killing her baby. 14 months. How is this justice?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/122889/cocaine_tainted_breast_milk_kills_infant.html?cat=47

Twenty four year old West Branch, Michigan woman Sara Shelby pled guilty Wednesday to charges that suggested high levels of cocaine in her breast milk killed her daughter.

The mother of two admitted useage of the drug while nursing her 5 month old infant Karie, having taken the narcotic several times during the day of the infant's death. Cocaine being a super stimulant affecting the
central nervous system as well as producing side effects endangering the cardiovascular system.

Shelby stated that on August 21 2005 she laid her two daughters down for a nap and upon discovering 5 month old Karie wasn't breathing, called 911. Karie Bowman was pronounced dead upon arrival to the hospital.

Sudden Infant Death Sydrome was originally the supposed cause of death. Due to the fact that no foul play was suggested at the time, samples were not tested until recently.

Shelby faces arraignment in February, facing up to 5 years if convicted for attempted manslaughter. A far cry from the original charges of involuntary manslaughter which would have carried up to 15 years. Prosecutors have allowed the charges to be plead down with the condition that Shelby agrees to the termination of parental rights to her other daughter.
This is one of two recent cases in which cocaine has killed an infant via breast milk intoxication. Both were originally thought to have been SIDS related. Makes you wonder how many times babies have died from their mother's addictions and been written off.

I found this persons My Space and it appears that her daughter is with her so I don't know how that worked out. She does have a picture of the baby that died on there, too. I hope she has turned her life around and is staying clean.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back