Proper Procedure

2luvmy

RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're go
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Can someone tell me what proper procedure is when a parent calls LE to report a kidnapped child as opposed to a missing child, or is there a difference?

Who comes to the scene/parents? Is it local LE first and then FBI, etc.?

I always thought when a child was kidnapped, the FBI was called in to assist. I could be wrong and have watched too many movies and read too many books.

I just feel like if a more competent LE angency/branch handled the case from the get go we JonBenet's killer would have been found whether or not the RDI or an IDI.

I believe the proper proceedure is that local LE goes to check it out first. They have to make sure it's a legitamit kidnapping and not kids goofing around, or a hoax of some kind. Then if it's considered to be legit they call the FBI.

The BPD did proper proceedure in this case. They went and established it as being legit, called FBI (Ron Walker showed up at the home) and soon after FBI concluded the note was a hoax JR "found" JonBenet's body.

Thanks, Seeker. I was lost after watching the interview with Arndst (sp) and was just dumbfounded that it took so long for anyone to think this was a serious matter and all the road blocks Arndst encountered when requesting help/back up.

The proper procedure they did not follow was that they should "empty the house immediately, take the inhabitants to the police station, post a patrol officer inside the front door, and allow entry only to authorized personnel. Another perimeter should have been established some distance away to preserve the grounds. No one knew at this point what evidence, such as footprints or fibers, might yet be found, and the crime scene was put at risk by allowing friends to come inside".
- Steve Thomas, page 20

sandraladeda said:
The proper procedure they did not follow was that they should "empty the house immediately, take the inhabitants to the police station, post a patrol officer inside the front door, and allow entry only to authorized personnel. Another perimeter should have been established some distance away to preserve the grounds. No one knew at this point what evidence, such as footprints or fibers, might yet be found, and the crime scene was put at risk by allowing friends to come inside".
- Steve Thomas, page 20
I think he's talking about after the body was found. At the initial onset of this it was considered a kidnapping and the BPD had no authority to remove anyone from the house.

Proper proceedure according to the question asked was followed.

Seeker. From what I watched it didn't sound like someone showed up for a long time. Wasn't Arndst the only one there for a long time. I thought the time for the ransom call had came and went and she was still alone with the Ramseys and friends?

When did the FBI actually show up do you know?

2luvmy said:
Seeker. From what I watched it didn't sound like someone showed up for a long time. Wasn't Arndst the only one there for a long time. I thought the time for the ransom call had came and went and she was still alone with the Ramseys and friends?

When did the FBI actually show up do you know?
From reading Linda Arndt's depo recently, she was there as the solo LE officer for 3-4 hours - in response to what was perceived to be a kidnapping. When JR emerged from the basement holding the lifeless body of JBR, it turned into something else alltogether

That's what I thought. My understanding was that Patsy called saying her daughter was kidnapped. Ardnt was sent over to check it out, knew things were getting hairy, called several times for assistance and no one really showed up to take this seriously until JB was brought up from the basement.

My feeling (shoulda, coulda, woulda) is if the FBI were there intially we would have and answer to this.

Wait a minute .If i recall the SOP for a kidnapping is.
1 The do a search of the house to make sure the child is not just asleep in some other room.( In Laci case after talking to Scott the PD went inside to check all the room)
2 If no one is found they call for back up and secure the property. They also remove everyone from the house.

2luvmy said:
My feeling (shoulda, coulda, woulda) is if the FBI were there intially we would have and answer to this.
The Local PD has jurisdiction on the call first. The FBI usaully are not called in to soon.

FBI were there that morning. Agent Ron Walker came with a kidnapping team and set up phone traps. He thought the ransom note was a red flag that something weird was going on because it didn't add up.

FBI left after JonBenet's body was found and the crime changed from a kidnapping to a homicide and they no longer had jurisdiction.

I am clearly confused then...was the FBI there with Arndt then? Then why would she feel the need for back up if they were there waiting for the call?

Seeker said:
I think he's talking about after the body was found. At the initial onset of this it was considered a kidnapping and the BPD had no authority to remove anyone from the house.

Proper proceedure according to the question asked was followed.
no he's talking about 6:30 AM, when it was still considered a kidnapping.

"By the time the sun rose at 6:30 AM, the Whites and Fernies had arrived to comfort their friends. Their admittance to the house was also a mistake, for the place had become the scene of a crime, apparently a kidnapping. Good police procedure would have been to empty the house immediately and take the inhabitants to the police station..." etc. Page 20, ST, JonBenet Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation

I just spoke to an LEO here at lunchtime. This is what he told me.
"They would have questioned the friends extensively. Gotten their alibi's and statements. The asked them to leave with the previso that they be available for future questions. The parent's would have been questioned at the residence as to their actions prior to finding and reporting their child was gone, or kidnapped. Upon verification that the child was not still on the premisis the FBI would have been immediately contacted and any evidence (i.e. note, unknown clothing, etc) left would be turned over to the agent in charge of the FBIs team."

He went on and on, but it's to much to post.

Also wasn't it the BPD who called in the victims rights advocates that morning? You know, the morons who cleaned the countertops, etc.

Why would the FBI bother tappng, or trapping phone lines if the parents were taken down to the PD office?

"It's a given that the kidnapper knows the parents in some way and would recognize their voice on the phone...also the parents are always told to try and keep the person on the phone for a few minutes if possible so they can trace them. That's not just from the movies either! lol"

Anyway, that's what he told me and he's been in this situation before. I don't believe Boulder had many, if any children kidnapped, real or bogus, before this either. I don't think the cops were up on the proper proceedures and didn't really know what to do when they got to the house. In a real kidnapping the FBI would do the securing of the premisis and wire/phone tapping, not the local LE unless asked to by the FBI.

I would think everyone would need to get out - RIGHT AWAY - who even knew if the kidnapper was maybe still in the house at the time..... Plus, every minute they stayed they were contaminating the scene more and more. If I were in charge, I would have told everyone to IMMEDIATELY LEAVE THE HOUSE - go to a neighbors or stand out front - we will be there in less than 5!!!!

Unfortunately, I was not in charge, lol!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back