More States Move to Use GPS Tracking of Sex Offenders

opme

Reaction score
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
By Hannah Sentenac
foxnews_story.gif

NEW YORK — The crimes of convicted sex offenders are starting to haunt them … literally.

Many states are initiating programs that track registered sex offenders using Global Positioning Satellites, or GPS, sometimes for life. GPS can track the exact location of the offenders at all times, making it easier for law enforcement to ensure that they're abiding with the terms of their release.

It sounds like an efficient system: Authorities can keep track of dangerous sex offenders without having to keep them in prison at taxpayers' expense.

But opponents argue that process, particularly if it's for life, is excessively punitive and invades the privacy of offenders after they've served their time. And with 50 states, 50 different sets of laws are likely to emerge, making for complicated enforcement.

"Bottom line is that decisions on the use of this kind of technology, which can be characterized as very invasive of the individual's privacy, need to be made on a case-by-case basis ... If it is used it should be the exception and only applied in the most egregious cases," said David Sobel, general counsel for the Electronic Privacy Information Center.

more at link >>>>>>>>>http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196455,00.html

I don't understand why they don't do it in all states. Not that this can't be rigged. I know of a sex offender who was on home monitoring that it just didn't work and no one ever checked on him. So it's only good as the monitoring. These pervs belong no where but hell!:furious:

Very invasive of the individual's privacy indeed - more invasive than what they did to their victims?

Actually, I can't think of much less invasive - keeping them in prison or having someone follow them are the only alternatives. Wearing a tracker that can be accessed to verify remotely that you are obeying your parole, and are not involved in whatever the latest sex offense in your area is - that's extremely discrete and private.

I personally think it should be on their faces SEX OFFENDERS, perhaps a tatoo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back