CANADA Canada - Stephanie Stewart, 70, Alberta, Aug 2006

LadyCat

Cat slave
Reaction score
She was a fire tower observer, and is missing under suspicous circumstances.

Police seek missing Fire Tower Observer

Hundreds of people are searching for a missing 70-year-old fire tower worker who loved the outdoors.

Stephanie Stewart did not respond to a call Saturday morning to the Athabasca Lookout Tower where she worked as a seasonal lookout observer. She was then reported as missing to Hinton RCMP.

Ack I have a typo in the title, her last name is Stewart, not Steward.

Some belongings are missing

RCMP Cpl. Al Fraser confirmed Tuesday that several items are missing from Stewart's living quarters including some pillows, a duvet and an "unusual" watch.

She's described as five feet one inch tall and weighing about 100 pounds. She has blue eyes, shoulder-length grey hair and wears glasses.

Foul play suspected

In a news release, police said they have launched a criminal investigation into the disappearance of Stephanie Stewart, 70, because they don't believe she simply wandered away or was attacked by an animal.

Search for clues intensifies

Stewart's daughter Lorie and son-in-law Paul stood in front of a bank of television cameras at RCMP headquarters in Edmonton on Thursday to make their appeal.

"We all love Stephanie very much and are very concerned that she's missing and has been for six days," Lorie said. "We ask that anyone with any information about her disappearance please come forward."

I wish this lady would be found. My mom did this type of work for a few summers when I was in high school. She lived in the tower though and there was a long ladder up to it. She would have heard and seen anyone climbing up. It sounds like this lady lived below the watch tower and stayed up in the tower for a certain number of hours a day. Anyone could have gone there and forced her to go with them. Sounds like there was a lot of activity around the area.

Yes, it sounds like it was a fairly busy area relatively speaking in regards to firetowers - 25km from Hinton I think I read. Thats not that far. But it was still remote in the sense that it was off the beaten track. Makes it sound like it was someone familiar with the area that may have taken her. :(

Latest news:
RCMP Call Off Search

RCMP have called off the search for a missing watch tower worker in Hinton and have turned their attention to a criminal investigation.

It's the first time in the history of the Alberta Forest Service that a worker has disappeared like this, said Sustainable Resource Development spokesman Annette Bidniak. "Very sad," she added.

I know the odds are not with me, but I would be extremely pleased if this lady was found safe and sound.

I can always hope that there is good in the world, and that she was not a victim.

Hope and prayers to her family.......

CyberLaw said:
I know the odds are not with me, but I would be extremely pleased if this lady was found safe and sound.

I can always hope that there is good in the world, and that she was not a victim.

Hope and prayers to her family.......

I agree with you. I wonder why anyone would take her pillows and duvet? I can see someone grabbing an unusual watch but not bedding. Did they ever say whether he vehicle was missing? I wonder if her purse, personal items, keys were left behind? Was she single or did she have a husband at home?
I would love to read that she got a wild hair and ran away with a boyfriend!
Anything but what we will probably hear. They haven't even mentioned if she has kids or not. I guess we really don't know that much about her.

Latest news I could find.

http://www.aupe.org/in_the_news/news.php?id=956

EDMONTON—Two years have passed since Stephanie Stewart disappeared from the Athabasca Lookout Tower she worked at near Hinton, but AUPE President Doug Knight still hopes that the right tip will solve the case and bring closure for her family.
He confirmed that the $20,000 reward offered by AUPE and Alberta Sustainable Resource Development for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for Stewart’s disappearance, still stands.
Craig Albers, acting media relations officer for RCMP “K” Division said the case, which is being treated as a homicide investigation, remains open.

The latest news article I can find on her case. I'm not sure why I keep coming back to this one, but I do. Every now and then I wonder... where is she? Have they found her? :( I pray that she's found, for her family's sake.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090826/edm_stewart_090826/20090826?hub=EdmontonHome

Alberta woman's disappearance remains a mystery three years later

Updated: Wed Aug. 26 2009 15:55:45

Melissa Dominelli, ctvedmonton.ca

Three years after a 70-year-old woman disappeared from her fire tower lookout far out in the Alberta bush, police have no leads or suspects in the case.
"We are still looking for public input," said Sgt. Patrick Webb with the RCMP. "This is certainly a wilderness area that people use. If people see anything out of the ordinary they should call police."
"She just seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth," Doug Knight, president of the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees told CTV News Wednesday.
There are over 100 fire-spotting towers in Alberta. About a year after Stewart's went missing, a provincial report was released recommending tougher security to better protect guardians in towers.

Duncan MacDonnell, spokesman for Sustainable Resource Development, which operates the towers,said the department is in the process of implementing security measures.
He said everybody within the department is aware of Stewart's case."We all remember Stephanie; we would all like to see some closure brought to this."

Police said anyone with information on the disappearance of Stephanie Stewart should call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) .

And links to her various missing posters:
North American Missing Persons Network - Stephanie Stewart http://www.nampn.org/cases/stewart_stephanie.html
Alberta Missing Persons - Stephanie Stewart Alberta Missing Persons - Stephanie Stewart

Just doing my yearly check-in to see if there's any news on Stephanie. :tears: I pray that they find out what happened to her, and get the piece of crap that hurt her behind bars (well actually, I prefer 6 feet under...).

Some highlights from the current news stories (some linked above, but linked here for reference).

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Still+missing+after+five+years/5285153/story.html

On Aug. 26, 2006, Stewart never called in her morning report from the Athabasca fire lookout to base office.

Her supervisor drove to the tower to check on her. Inside the home, a pot of water placed on the stove to boil remained warm, but Stewart wasn't there.
Inside the home, two blue pillow cases, a burgundy bed sheet and a duvet cover with a Navajo pattern were missing, along with Stewart's gold men's watch, which she kept for sentimental reasons, RCMP say.
The questions about what happened to Stewart still linger, says Slater. Memories of her friend have proven more powerful.

"After five years, the questions change," says Slater.

"It's not about what happened to her, it's about what's changed in your life because of her."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/08/25/18598526.html

Stewart's sudden disappearance sparked a massive ground search of the area, off of Highway 40 up a remote road near the Nordic Ski Centre, but the search provided few answers.

Investigators later determined that Stewart's disappearance was not the result of an accident or predator attack.

It was a homicide.
Stewart's family and friends haven't given up hope the woman who loved life and embraced the outdoors will be found.
In the fall of 2006, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development (ASRD) created an expert panel to provide recommendations on how to improve the safety of the Athabasca lookout tower and the other 128 remote publicly accessible lookout towers in the province.

Nearly all of those safety upgrades have now been put in place.
The province and Alberta Union of Public Employees continue to offer a $20,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in Stewart's disappearance.

Mounties are asking anyone with information related to her disappearance to call 780-865-5544 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
BBM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/08/26/edm-missing-fire-spotter-stephanie-stewart.html

Police say they continue to get leads on the disappearance of forest fire spotter Stephanie Stewart, who was working alone at a remote lookout tower northwest of Hinton, Alta., when she went missing exactly five years ago.
Stewart had 18 years of experience as a fire spotter and was described as incredibly fit, with no known medical conditions.

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/five+year+anniversary+of+stephanie+stewarts+disappearance/6442470872/story.html

In years past, police have offered up new information in hopes it might jog somebody's memory about Stewart's disappearance.

Last year, officers revealed that Stewart was in the middle of boiling water when she disappeared and blankets are missing.

This year - there is no new information to share. Just yet another plea to anyone who might be able to help solve this five year old mystery.

I hope she's found soon! Maybe the articles will help. Here's another one...
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/08/25/18598526.html

ETA: just looked at a map of the area... it doesn't look like it's too far away from Edson, AB... Isn't that where Lyle & Marie McCann were last seen??? Maybe there is a connection.

Hmm, maybe. Although it does seem that Lyle & Marie were harmed for their possessions (IMO the car which was found 4 days later, abandoned). But maybe the POI Travis Vader has a hate for elderly? He is 38 now so would have been 33 at the time Stephanie Stewart disappeared. And he has a history of arrests dating back to 1995.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2010/07/19/vader-mccann-arrrest.html

Plus they have arrested a 2nd person (see above link), no name on them though.

Also from the above link:
Vader, who is from Niton Junction, has a criminal history dating back to 1995, when he was convicted of stealing a vehicle

Found another link for Stephanie as well:
http://www.theeagle.ca/index.asp?mn=3&id=3417&cc=6

The more I read about TV, the more I agree with you bodhi93 that the police should look at him as a possible POI for the disappearance of Stephanie Stewart!:websleuther:

I agree with you. I wonder why anyone would take her pillows and duvet? I can see someone grabbing an unusual watch but not bedding. Did they ever say whether he vehicle was missing? I wonder if her purse, personal items, keys were left behind? Was she single or did she have a husband at home?
I would love to read that she got a wild hair and ran away with a boyfriend!
Anything but what we will probably hear. They haven't even mentioned if she has kids or not. I guess we really don't know that much about her.

Police still seek leads five years after Alberta fire spotter vanished

The only signs of life were a pot, still warm after boiling on the stove, and her Dodge Ram truck parked in the gravel driveway. By 9 a.m. Aug. 26, police were called.

Still thinking of Stephanie and wishing there was some news about her.

I know Stephanie has a daughter, but I am really interested in:

- was she married (if so, how many times and to who)

- maiden name (if not Stewart)

- where she was born and raised

- if she has any native ancestry (as I have sleuthed on a Stewart of native ancestry who is almost identical in appearance to Stephanie).

Bumping for this lovely lady once again.

Where'd you go Stephanie? Wish we could find you and find out who is responsible for whatever has happened to you.

The latest news article I can find on her case. I'm not sure why I keep coming back to this one, but I do. Every now and then I wonder... where is she? Have they found her? :( I pray that she's found, for her family's sake.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090826/edm_stewart_090826/20090826?hub=EdmontonHome

rsbm...

also snipped...

The woman, originally from Canmore, Alta., had worked at the same location each summer for 13 years.

That's a lot of dedication and devotion Stephanie!!! What happened to you up there at your post...???

Is the 20K reward put up by the province and the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees still being offered...??? Sadly almost all the links no longer work...???

Just thinking about all the time you gave of yourself -- all alone up there --- in the still silence keepin your watchful eyes on our national park and forest...Undoubtedly you were a brave lady...!!!

Surely her union & those Stephanie represented haven't forgotten about her...???

Someone out there knows exactly what happened...people don't just vanish into thin air.

Where are you Ms. Stewart...???

Mark Coker climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro with Stephanie, her daughter Lorie, and son-in-law, the year before the fire tower worker went missing. Stephanie, who was 69 at the time, was an “inspiration,” to the group, he said. Climbing the mountain had been a life-long dream for her, he said.

"Mt. Kilimanjaro is a tough hike up to 19,340 feet. There’s not much oxygen up there, and simply taking a couple steps can wind you. Stephanie made it up to the top at age 69. She was an inspiration to all of us. Always a smile on her face at the end of the day. Her’s was a determined spirit."

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2011/08/24/where-is-alberta-forest-fire-spotter-stephanie-stewart/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back