CA - Andrew Etcheverry, 8, & Jeni Klawitter, 7, killed by exploded shell, 29 Aug 2006

ajc2804

Reaction score
~~Wasn't sure where to post this but I thought it would go here~~

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — A group of children were playing with a military shell given to them by a neighbor before the device exploded, killing a young boy and girl, police and witnesses said Wednesday.
Bakersfield police said there have been no arrests or charges in the case and are still trying to determine what caused the shell to detonate Tuesday, damaging homes and forcing neighbors to wrap bloodied and dazed children in blankets.

"As you can imagine, this was a traumatic experience for the kids and their parents. So it's going to take a while to sort things out," said Bakersfield Police Detective Greg Terry.

Andrew Etcheverry, 8, died at the scene of the explosion in the city's Oleander neighborhood. Jeni Marie Klawitter, 7, died at the Kern Medical Center, the county coroner said.

Five other children, the oldest 12 years old, had injuries ranging from minor to moderate. Police initially reported that six children were injured but later determined that an 8-year-old girl thought to be hurt was not at the scene when the shell exploded.

Frank Sendejo, who lives near the complex where the explosion occurred, confirmed Wednesday that he had given a group of children a 40 mm shell. Bakersfield police said they've talked to Sendejo.

~~More at Link~~
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,211531,00.html

I heard this on the news early this morning. My first thought was why in the world would you give a military shell to children to play with? The neighbor that gave it to them said he thought it wasn't live. I still can't imagine what would possess him to do that.

lizzybeth said:
I heard this on the news early this morning. My first thought was why in the world would you give a military shell to children to play with? The neighbor that gave it to them said he thought it wasn't live. I still can't imagine what would possess him to do that.

I totally agree.

lizzybeth said:
I know, I saw this on the news. I was like WTH!! How horrible. I wonder if he has been arrested, I am sure he will! Idiot.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back