Glenn Ford Died Yesterday at 90

kato

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
How come no one mentioned this yet. He was way before my generation but I liked him. I think he was a true gentleman.

I honestly thought the man had died in the 1980s, not long after being in Superman. Maybe that's when he had one of his strokes. I did notice that his picture was sitting on top of Ma Kent's piano in SUPERMAN RETURNS. He probably is the penultimate Pa Kent, although his greatest role was probably that of the police detective who loses his wife and child in a car bomb arranged by evil crime boss Lee Marvin in Fritz Leiber's BIG HEAT.

I'm glad you posted this, read about it yesterday. Glenn Ford was my mother's favorite actor and I also admired his understated, but powerful style.

Here is a good article on him:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/APWires/entertainment/D8JRID6O5.html

It indicates he died alone and was found at home, what a shame. He had only one son.

"Failing health forced Ford to skip a 90th birthday tribute on May 1 at Hollywood's historic Grauman's Egyptian Theatre. But he did send greetings via videotape, adding, "I wish I were up and around, but I'm doing the best that I can.... There's so much I have to be grateful for."

He lived to be 90.. I think my parents liked him:)

I just mentioned Glenn Ford to my mother a few days ago--She watches AMC a lot and a Glenn Ford/Jack Lemon western was on--We were talking about how few of the old-timers were still around--she always liked him---looks like he had an amazing career,started in movies in 1940!-----so who's next? Mickey Rooney(86)? the great Kirk Douglas(90)?--not too many make it to 99(Eddie Albert) or 100 like Bob Hope and George Burns

Peter Hamilton said:
I just mentioned Glenn Ford to my mother a few days ago--She watches AMC a lot and a Glenn Ford/Jack Lemon western was on--We were talking about how few of the old-timers were still around--she always liked him---looks like he had an amazing career,started in movies in 1940!-----so who's next? Mickey Rooney(86)? the great Kirk Douglas(90)?--not too many make it to 99(Eddie Albert) or 100 like Bob Hope and George Burns
A surprising number make it intot heir 80s and 90s. They have a better life expectancy than rock/r&b performers, who seem to average between 55-65.

All the great actors of the 1930s are long gone. The ones from the 1940s are nearly extinct. Now the ones from the 1950s are starting to die off with alarming regularity. I suspect to see Christopher Lee leave us in the next couple of years, as well as Mickey Rooney, Elizabeth Taylor, Jane Wyman (if she isn't dead already), Ben Gazarra, Peter Falk, Kirk Douglas and probably another member of the original Star Trek cast.

BillyGoatGruff said:
A surprising number make it intot heir 80s and 90s. They have a better life expectancy than rock/r&b performers, who seem to average between 55-65.

All the great actors of the 1930s are long gone. The ones from the 1940s are nearly extinct. Now the ones from the 1950s are starting to die off with alarming regularity. I suspect to see Christopher Lee leave us in the next couple of years, as well as Mickey Rooney, Elizabeth Taylor, Jane Wyman (if she isn't dead already), Ben Gazarra, Peter Falk, Kirk Douglas and probably another member of the original Star Trek cast.

ooooh, i've always loved Christopher Lee...

i always liked Glenn Ford too...off the top of my head, i can't think of a particular movie though :doh: ...i liked the comedies he did, not so much the westerns....never been into a lot of westerns, but one of my all time favorite movies is Once Upon a Time in the West...lol, a classic 'spaghetti western', but the best, imo....Claudia Cardinelli (sp), Henry Fonda & Charles Bronson....ooooh, there's another one...is Bronson still alive????? (i just went blank)

ETA...yes, Bronson's been dead for 3 yrs now :(

agree--Chrisopher Lee is great--he was excellent in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones-- and truly superb in the first Lord Of The Rings movie,which is one of the greatest movies of all time---Lee made a great Dracula also--he was born of an Italian noble family in 1922,makes him 84 now

When I was in high school we were living outside of Fort Lauderdale, and Mickey Rooney came to all our high school football games. He arrived with a body guard and drove a green VW bug. When we saw the bug, we knew he was there. He always sat away from everyone on the top row, left hand side. If you approached him he would talk to you, and was always a gentleman, never rude.

Good article about Ford's career. They don't make them like that anymore:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/2003239765_glennford02.html

LOS ANGLES — He never won an Academy Award — was never nominated. He never earned the big bucks that stars of his stature enjoyed. Yet for 52 years Glenn Ford remained an in-demand actor whose name above the title could attract movie-ticket buyers.

Ford might be called the anti-star. He didn't hang out with the gang in Hollywood watering holes. He never quarreled with directors or studio bosses. His name was never sullied by scandal. He did his acting job and went on to the next one.

Peter Hamilton said:
agree--Chrisopher Lee is great--he was excellent in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones-- and truly superb in the first Lord Of The Rings movie,which is one of the greatest movies of all time---Lee made a great Dracula also--he was born of an Italian noble family in 1922,makes him 84 now
Probably his greatest role was that of flint in the BBC version of GORMENGHAST. He certainly had the most screen time and dialog of any of his films I can remember. I was of the impression he was of Gypsy/Russian extraction, but you never can tell with Hollywood press releases.

And, yes, Charles Bronson is died. He died a couple years back after withering away from Alzheimers.

BillyGoatGruff said:

Ole Jane Wyman is still hangin' in there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back