Can child molesters be rehabilitated?????

Can child molesters be rehabilitated?

• Yes

Votes: 35 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 614 94.6%

• Total voters
On caveat to my No vote - this doesn't include every type of 'child molester' - an 18 having sex with a 17, and any penalties need to take into account the rare but real cases where a divorce or something else causes false accusations.

Details said:
On caveat to my No vote - this doesn't include every type of 'child molester' - an 18 having sex with a 17, and any penalties need to take into account the rare but real cases where a divorce or something else causes false accusations.

Agreed.

Details said:
I agree with that

southcitymom said:
Has anyone here ever seen the Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgewick movie called The Woodsman? It touches on this topic.
No what is it about...you can im me if you dont wanna ruin it for everyone else....hehehe

I don't know how to vote. This is an interesting topic.

I don't think a person can be "cured" from their sexual orientation and I think pedophelia is a sexual orientation.

Certainly everything I know and read about molesters tells me that they do it over and over again, leaving a path of pain in their wake.

Still, I am a big believer in hope, change and redemption, so it's difficult for me to dismiss the possibility for some people.

My ex husband spent 3 years in prison for dating a 16 year old girl that he says he thought was 17. I don't think he'd ever do that again.

However, if you mean little kids - I think it would take someone doing a complete internal struggle to change, and only about one in a million people would ever do that to that extent.

CAN they? Yeah, maybe one in a million. Do I want to trust the legal system to handle it? No.

southcitymom said:
I don't know how to vote. This is an interesting topic.

I don't think a person can be "cured" from their sexual orientation and I think pedophelia is a sexual orientation.

Certainly everything I know and read about molesters tells me that they do it over and over again, leaving a path of pain in their wake.

Still, I am a big believer in hope, change and redemption, so it's difficult for me to dismiss the possibility for some people.

IMHO I just dont want to chance it on a few people changing. think of it this way When people are molested they usually repeat the act when older. How can we stop this. We cant afford to lock them all up for life. Even then that is nicer than most peoples home life, 3 meals a day cable etc... I dont want to make anyone angry but IMO they should be given death it not the first time what about 2 3 4 and so on. When would be the right time to give them death?

GlitchWizard said:
My ex husband spent 3 years in prison for dating a 16 year old girl that he says he thought was 17. I don't think he'd ever do that again.

However, if you mean little kids - I think it would take someone doing a complete internal struggle to change, and only about one in a million people would ever do that to that extent.

CAN they? Yeah, maybe one in a million. Do I want to trust the legal system to handle it? No.
Depends on how old the husband was...IMO i dont see a young man and girl dating, dependent on the age of the older person.

Indy Gal said:
IMHO I just dont want to chance it on a few people changing. think of it this way When people are molested they usually repeat the act when older. How can we stop this. We cant afford to lock them all up for life. Even then that is nicer than most peoples home life, 3 meals a day cable etc... I dont want to make anyone angry but IMO they should be given death it not the first time what about 2 3 4 and so on. When would be the right time to give them death?
Much of what you say is true. I don't claim to have the answer. It would be nice if we could lock them all up and study them, but as you point out, that's hardly feasible at present.

I don't have strong feelings about the death penalty. I can make a persuasive arguement to myself both pro and con. I will say that I highly doubt that the laws in this country will change anytime soon to make child molestation a DP crime.

Indy Gal said:
thanks i will be renting tonight:)
In my opinion, it is truly worth a watch. It was one of the best movies I saw last year. It received a good deal of flack when it came out because of the subject matter. I will be interested to hear your opinion of it.

southcitymom said:
I will say that I highly doubt that the laws in this country will change anytime soon to make child molestation a DP crime.

DEATH PENALTY:
U.S. States Widen Scope for Executions

NEW YORK, Aug 28 (IPS) - Politicians in primarily southern U.S. states have passed laws that expand the use of the death penalty to include repeat child sex offenders -- a move mental health professionals say is ineffective in stopping molestation and abolitionists believe ultimately will be ruled unconstitutional.

Despite the warnings, though, two states, South Carolina and Oklahoma, this summer enacted laws that allow repeat child sex offenders to be put to death. They join Louisiana, Florida, and Montana, which already have similar laws on their books.

The governors of both Oklahoma and South Carolina argued that the sexual abuse of children is as bad as murder because molestation causes permanent damage to the life of the child.

more at:

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=34488

Jeana (DP) said:
DEATH PENALTY:
U.S. States Widen Scope for Executions

NEW YORK, Aug 28 (IPS) - Politicians in primarily southern U.S. states have passed laws that expand the use of the death penalty to include repeat child sex offenders -- a move mental health professionals say is ineffective in stopping molestation and abolitionists believe ultimately will be ruled unconstitutional.

Despite the warnings, though, two states, South Carolina and Oklahoma, this summer enacted laws that allow repeat child sex offenders to be put to death. They join Louisiana, Florida, and Montana, which already have similar laws on their books.
The governors of both Oklahoma and South Carolina argued that the sexual abuse of children is as bad as murder because molestation causes permanent damage to the life of the child.

more at:

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=34488

AMEN HOW CAN I GET IT IN MY STATES AND EVERY WHERE ELSE

Jeana (DP) said:
Start writing some letters darlin!!!
This really does just make my day. I thought there was no way in you know what of getting a law like that passed. Now I have hope.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back