GUILTY ME - Four dead in bloodbath at quaint Newry inn, Sept 2006

misterallgood

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.truecrimeweblog.com
The Black Bear Bed & Breakfast in Newry, ME, definitely doesn't look like the sort of place that sees triple homicides too often.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=41101

From the story:
At least three people are dead, and now police say statements made by a suspect in custody have led them to believe there may be another crime scene.

Police were called to the Black Bear Bed and Breakfast, off the Sunday River Road around 5:30 Monday afternoon. They discovered 3 bodies, the identities of which have not been released.

A suspect is in custody and police have been interviewing him. They believe he is solely responsible for the deaths, and statements made by the suspect have led police to believe there may be another crime scene with more bodies somewhere in Oxford County...
Here's the website for the town of Newry:
http://www.newrymaine.com/
I've been able to determine that a guy named Tim Norton incorporated the B & B as a business with the State of Maine, but he might have done that on someone else's behalf, or been an absentee owner.

I haven't blogged about this yet -- not enough to go on, and the wrong time of day to expect any tips, but it was strange enough (triple homicide and bed & breakfast are phrases rarely seen in the same sentence) that I figured folks here would find it very interesting.

Steve

misterallgood said:
I haven't blogged about this yet -- not enough to go on, and the wrong time of day to expect any tips, but it was strange enough (triple homicide and bed & breakfast are phrases rarely seen in the same sentence) that I figured folks here would find it very interesting.

Steve
I find this particularly interesting, since crime and B&B's happen to be two of my great interests. However, as you say, even I have never used "triple homicide" and "Bed & Breakfast" in the same sentence! Keep the news coming!! Thanks.

3 Found Dead At B&B; 1 Found Dead In Woods

POSTED: 8:40 am EDT September 5, 2006
UPDATED: 4:09 pm EDT September 5, 2006
NEWRY, Maine -- Police said Tuesday a bed-and-breakfast cook is claiming responsibility for the weekend killings of four people whose bodies were found shot to death and dismembered just outside Maine's Sunday River ski resort.

Christian Nielsen, a 31-year-old cook living at the Black Bear Bed and Breakfast in Newry has been arrested on four counts of murder. Nielsen worked at another bed and breakfast in the area, the Sudbury Inn, in Bethel.

Investigators found the dismembered bodies of Black Bear owner Julie Bullard, her daughter, Selby Bullard, and real estate agent Cindy Beatson at the inn in Newry

.......More at link ..........................................................
http://www.nbc10.com/news/9788115/detail.html

Still no motive disclosed for this violent murder spree...

I suspect this guy is genuinely psychotic and probably has been hearing voices for some time, but no one knew it because he kept to himself.

Oh, I am SURE---this creep is not only psychotic, but pure evil as well.

As if shooting 4 people to death isn't bad enough----then he DISMEMBERS them??? WTF?!

Scary. Very scary, indeed. The more I read about the atrocious crimes committed in the world today, the more I am convinced that women need to arm themselves. I don't know if that would've helped these victims, but I am sure there are many victims who could've been helped if they had protection in the form of a weapon.

FYI--I really do think my fellow WS women should consider arming themselves if they don't already. You never know who you're going to run into. If you aren't comfortable with an actual gun, maybe consider a stun gun.

There are stun guns you can purchase through reputable companies on the net and they are very affordable. Some even look like cell phones---no one is ever the wiser that it's not an actual cell phone. A stun gun will only temporarily disable an attacker, but it'll give you that much needed window of opportunity to escape danger, and possibly save your life.

julianne said:
Oh, I am SURE---this creep is not only psychotic, but pure evil as well.

As if shooting 4 people to death isn't bad enough----then he DISMEMBERS them??? WTF?!

Scary. Very scary, indeed. The more I read about the atrocious crimes committed in the world today, the more I am convinced that women need to arm themselves. I don't know if that would've helped these victims, but I am sure there are many victims who could've been helped if they had protection in the form of a weapon.

FYI--I really do think my fellow WS women should consider arming themselves if they don't already. You never know who you're going to run into. If you aren't comfortable with an actual gun, maybe consider a stun gun.

There are stun guns you can purchase through reputable companies on the net and they are very affordable. Some even look like cell phones---no one is ever the wiser that it's not an actual cell phone. A stun gun will only temporarily disable an attacker, but it'll give you that much needed window of opportunity to escape danger, and possibly save your life.

I like this idea about the stun gun. I am hesitant about a real gun, not because I wouldn't use it, I would.I am more afraid of a mistaken identity kind of thing.I would be devastated if I hurt an innocent person.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I suspect this guy is genuinely psychotic and probably has been hearing voices for some time, but no one knew it because he kept to himself.

I agree with him being psychotic but his father said he suspected his son was involved. The step mother called LE (Fox Report). So, some bells were ringing but not in time to stop a meltdown.

This would have been a perfect time for an intervention prior to the meltdown but alas, it didn't happen. The parents and others know more they just were not proactive.

Murder victims Cindy Beatson and Selby Bullard both worked at Apple Tree Realty. Selby's mother Julie owned the Black Bear Bed and Breakfast.

Julie and Selby Bullard moved to Maine a few years ago from California.

Cindy Beatson was married and had one child.
Selby Bullard had 2 children; one in fourth grade and one about to start middle school.
Their father was killed in a car accident in california a few years ago.

The other victim, James Whitehurst had been staying at the B&B for about a month
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=41136

Those poor kids. They lost their father in a car accident, now their mother and grandmother are murdered.

staff1.jpg

Cindy Beatson APPLE TREE REALTY
http://www.appletreerealty.com/agents.html

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2006/09/maine_police_in.html

Nielsen, who had worked as a cook at the Sudbury Inn in nearby Bethel, had been staying at the Black Bear Bed and Breakfast owned by Julie Bullard, 65, according to Stokes and police. As suspicion mounted about the disappearance of Whitehurst, Nielsen continued killing to eliminate witnesses, Stokes said.

On Sunday, prosecutors allege that Nielsen killed Bullard at the her bed and breakfast. Her disappearance aroused more suspicion and on Monday the slayings continued, Stokes said.

Prosecutors allege that when Bullard’s daughter, Selby Bullard, 30, and a friend, Cynthia Beatson, 43, came to check on Bullard on Monday, Nielsen killed them too, Stokes said. Investigators declined to say how prosecutors allege that Nielsen killed his victims.

Shadow205 said:
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2006/09/maine_police_in.html

Nielsen, who had worked as a cook at the Sudbury Inn in nearby Bethel, had been staying at the Black Bear Bed and Breakfast owned by Julie Bullard, 65, according to Stokes and police. As suspicion mounted about the disappearance of Whitehurst, Nielsen continued killing to eliminate witnesses, Stokes said.

On Sunday, prosecutors allege that Nielsen killed Bullard at the her bed and breakfast. Her disappearance aroused more suspicion and on Monday the slayings continued, Stokes said.

Prosecutors allege that when Bullard’s daughter, Selby Bullard, 30, and a friend, Cynthia Beatson, 43, came to check on Bullard on Monday, Nielsen killed them too, Stokes said. Investigators declined to say how prosecutors allege that Nielsen killed his victims.
I wonder if the cook was having sex with Whitehurst and then killed him in a rage for some reason? Really odd, dysfunctional thinking all the way around. Almost like a child's, in the worst possible way.

NEWRY, Maine (Sept. 6) - Julie Bullard and her daughter tried to put tragedy behind them when they moved from California to Maine to run a bed and breakfast. It was to be a fresh start after her daughter's husband died in a car accident.

Now, both are dead, and a guest in the inn was charged Tuesday with killing them and two others in Maine's biggest homicide case in more than a decade.
Three victims of the weekend carnage at the 130-year-old converted farmhouse were dismembered. State Police Chief Col. Craig Poulin called it "a crime of horrific proportions."

More at link: http://tinyurl.com/n4llm

I read about this earlier and had to wonder about the parents of the boy finding a dismembered body and instead of freaking out and thinking "Oh my God, my SON was in there! I hope he is okay" they told the police "I think my son did this."

What is sick is he (the cook) had a smile on his face. Lets take off that bullet proof vest and see who's smiling then!!!!

I know I thought twice about that too, they immediately knew their son was responsible...I wonder if there's more to this then the article said (i.e. previous psychological problems).

NEWRY, Maine (AP) -- Julie Bullard and her daughter tried to put tragedy behind them when they moved from California to Maine to run a bed and breakfast. It was to be a fresh start after her daughter's husband died in a car accident.

Now, both are dead, and a guest in the inn was charged Tuesday with killing them and two others in Maine's biggest homicide case in more than a decade.

The carnage at the 130-year-old converted farmhouse unfolded over the Labor Day weekend. State Police Chief Col. Craig Poulin called it "a crime of horrific proportions."
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/09/06/cook.charged.ap/index.htm

Okay for the perps father to so quickly tell police he thought his son did this then does that mean that there was some indication that he was capable of violence and possibly loosing touch with reality? If that is the case, why did he continue to allow his son to stay there with a woman? Why did he not try to remove the son or alert LE? Just wondering, not attacking.

<snip>

The three women were dismembered and left in bloody heaps outside the Black Bear, alongside three dogs Nielsen killed, according to police. Whitehurst's body was found burned and left in the woods in Upton, about 15 miles away.

<snip>

Friends of the victims said Nielsen may have been involved in a dispute over payment for his room at the bed and breakfast, where he lived for the past few months.

Marcia Thomas, a San Francisco real estate agent and close friend of Julie Bullard's, said she had recently decided to sell the Black Bear and move to New York City with another daughter because she found it tough to survive financially running a bed and breakfast in Maine. She rented a room to Nielsen to help make ends meet, Thomas said.

more at the link http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/09/07/rent_dispute_may_have_preceded_maine_deaths/?page=1

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back