Panda crushed her baby

Ohhh, that is sooo sad. Poor baby. Poor Mama, too----she was searching around for her baby and appeared depressed.

Mama Panda was exhausted, she slept Thursday for the first time in days.

I hope they reunite her with her other baby, and soon.

Awwww...that is so sad. :( I thought this was the Atlanta panda for a minute, who just had a baby this week!

I know the article is sad but I couldn't help but notice this sentence:

"Ya Ya was mated with 11-year-old Ling Ling from Wolong in April. The pandas watched a mating video before breeding."

Panda *advertiser censored*?? ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

RIP, little panda baby. SO sad. I bet Steve Irwin is in heaven, holding it.

englishleigh said:
Panda *advertiser censored*?? ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.
If this is sex education for pandas - how come all we got to watch in middle school was a video of little sperms in tuxedeos courting an egg?

Oh poor mama and baby. You know, when you hear bear you think of a good size baby and this little one weighed three ounces. :waitasec:

I read this article this morning. It is so sad! ::(

englishleigh said:
Awwww...that is so sad. :( I thought this was the Atlanta panda for a minute, who just had a baby this week!
I thought that too! I kept hearing on the news about the baby panda and because of all the news here of new baby I just assumed it was our baby panda here in Atlanta. So sad.

christine2448 said:
I thought that too! I kept hearing on the news about the baby panda and because of all the news here of new baby I just assumed it was our baby panda here in Atlanta. So sad.

I'm sad for the China panda baby, but so glad it wasn't our GA panda!!

Poor precious baby and poor mama YaYa...she is just devestated :(

englishleigh said:
Awwww...that is so sad. :( I thought this was the Atlanta panda for a minute, who just had a baby this week!...
RIP, little panda baby. SO sad. I bet Steve Irwin is in heaven, holding it.

I had a moment when my heart skipped thinking it was our Atlanta panda too. Still so sad for Mama :(

That is sweet to think of Steve caring for the bitty one.

I have to add, since obviously several of us are keeping tabs on the Atlanta panda baby...can you imagine 35 hours of labor to deliver a 4oz baby??? I thought my delivery was tough!

They said on the news today the Panda was very depressed, and sleeping alot. Poor thing..:(

Yes, apparently Ya Ya is inconsolable. The keepers say that she has been wailing looking for her cub. Poor thing. Heartbreaking because you can't explain it to them, you know, she's very confused. They say the keepers that are assigned to take care of her will be trying to prepare special foods for her in the coming days and they are not sure of the plans to reunite her with her surviving twin cub. :(

This breaks my heart. Why is there hesitation to reunite her with her other cub? Are they afraid the same thing may happen?

I think it happened because she was so exhausted--the article said she hadn't slept in 2 days. If they are afraid of that happening again, maybe they could just give her cub to her during her awake hours, and then remove the cub during her sleeping hours???

Poor thing....

julianne said:
This breaks my heart. Why is there hesitation to reunite her with her other cub? Are they afraid the same thing may happen?

I think it happened because she was so exhausted--the article said she hadn't slept in 2 days. If they are afraid of that happening again, maybe they could just give her cub to her during her awake hours, and then remove the cub during her sleeping hours???

Poor thing....
I think that is why they dont want to give her the cub yet, she was so tired and that is how she crushed the other one. I think it is just a safety measure. It breaks me heart though.

I think that her surviving cub is at the Wolong Panda Reserve, which is several hours away, over treacherous and steep hilly roads. Wolong are experts at panda rearing, and I am sure they are taking wonderful care of her cub, but it is heartbreaking to think of Ya Ya crying and wailing in torment over her lost lil angel....
The lack of sleep/food is common, actually the norm for new panda moms. The cubs are born so defenseless and helpless, that it is a 24 hour a day job for the moms to nurse and hold the baby in order to keep it warm enough to survive. The tiny body weight=very fragile first weeks of life!
My thoughts and prayers go out to Ya Ya, the zoo staff, her cub on Earth, and her sweet lil angel in Heaven. Who knows, maybe Steve Irwin is looking after this lil cub as I type this? A comforting thought.........

From what I understand, to compare just how tiny a newborn panda cub is, would be the equivalent of a 130 lb. female giving birth to a 2-3 ounce infant. The moms are usually in the 230 or so lb. range, and their infants weigh only on average 4 ounces. This tragedy just tears me up inside....to think of that poor, grieving mama bear. I am sending prayers out to Ya Ya and hope that she finds peace soon, hopefully with her surviving cub.

I know they only have the best of intentions, and are trying to save the 2nd cub, but I think it is cruel to not give her baby back. It is interfering with nature in a big way. Seems so cruel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back