Should this little boy be deported??

michelle

Joy comes in the Morning
Reaction score
Basically, the legal resident adult in this situation did not go thru proper and legal channels to make sure her child could stay with her.
doh.gif

michelle said:
I dont really understand this, he came over here and was under a protective temporary status. He goes to school, plays soccer and has made friends ect. So why didnt the mother try to get him permanent status? I am not too familiar with how all this works but I would hate to see this little boy be deported with nobody to go back with, cant his mom go with him? http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/mom-is-legal-resident-boy-faces/20060910145809990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

He didn't have protective status, only his mother did. She should have worked to get that status for him or be prepared to return home with him. I don't see any reason she can not go with him and if she cares, she will.

There are free legal services for situations like this in most states. She needs to go talk with someone.

Yeah said:
Basically, the legal resident adult in this situation did not go thru proper and legal channels to make sure her child could stay with her.
doh.gif

No..that's not what happened. The mother is not eligible to file for him under her current status. There is NOTHING that she could have done to help him. It's just one of the many glitches in the immigration law.

Luckily this case received media attention, so someone may step in. Meanwhile there are hundreds of other children deported every month without their parents......

SewingDeb said:
He didn't have protective status, only his mother did. She should have worked to get that status for him or be prepared to return home with him. I don't see any reason she can not go with him and if she cares, she will.

There are free legal services for situations like this in most states. She needs to go talk with someone.
It is all around sad, if he is deported she needs to go with him. IMO

SewingDeb said:

Free legal service can't help her.

Situations like this have nothing to do with caring. Either she stays here and works to give him the opportunity to eat and go to school, or she goes home and starves with him.

michelle said:
It is all around sad, if he is deported she needs to go with him. IMO

Stastically speaking she will stay. It is so hard for us to understand leaving our children, but for people in these circumstances, being here is the ONLY way that they can help their children. It is sad, someone needs to review the immigration laws so that this don't happen.

Cheetah said:
No..that's not what happened. The mother is not eligible to file for him under her current status. There is NOTHING that she could have done to help him. It's just one of the many glitches in the immigration law.

Luckily this case received media attention, so someone may step in. Meanwhile there are hundreds of other children deported every month without their parents......
That is so sad. What does someone have to do to come here and live? I mean I just dont get how parents and the kids are seperated like that. I would NEVER leave my child.

In the 4 years he's lived here, why did they not apply for citizenship status? I realize he can't be a legal resident under the same "temporary protective status", so why not some other method of becoming legal? Am I missing something here or am I just not educated enough on how immigrants become citizens?
waitasec.gif

Cheetah said:

Situations like this have nothing to do with caring. Either she stays here and works to give him the opportunity to eat and go to school, or she goes home and starves with him.
If it were my child, I would go home and starve with him. I could not let him go back to suffer alone. I would rather be hungry than afraid. Poor child. :(

michelle said:
That is so sad. What does someone have to do to come here and live? I mean I just dont get how parents and the kids are seperated like that. I would NEVER leave my child.

The rules for coming here....depend on where you're coming from. It this case, the mother was able to come because of a natural disaster. A lucky break.

It is very common for immigrants to leave children. They have no choice.

In most cases it takes about 2 years to get approved for a visa. So, someone files for the parents, and 3 years later the parent's can file for the kids, and then they get approved after a 2 year wait. In some cases it's shorter, some longer.

My husband has 4 kids in college. They finally got approved and will be here by the end of this year. It has taken five years. 2 of them have kids 3,2, and 1. They will be staying with relatives for at least five years. There is no other choice.

When you are living in poverty, it really isn't a choice, you just do what you have to do.

Yeah said:
In the 4 years he's lived here, why did they not apply for citizenship status? I realize he can't be a legal resident under the same "temporary protective status", so why not some other method of becoming legal? Am I missing something here or am I just not educated enough on how immigrants become citizens?
waitasec.gif

Ummm.....you're not educated. :blowkiss:

Seriously, the laws really stink.

deandaniellws said:
If it were my child, I would go home and starve with him. I could not let him go back to suffer alone. I would rather be hungry than afraid. Poor child. :(

That is such a simple statement for we, as Americans, to make.

It really isn't that simple.

Cheetah said:
The rules for coming here....depend on where you're coming from. It this case, the mother was able to come because of a natural disaster. A lucky break.

It is very common for immigrants to leave children. They have no choice.

In most cases it takes about 2 years to get approved for a visa. So, someone files for the parents, and 3 years later the parent's can file for the kids, and then they get approved after a 2 year wait. In some cases it's shorter, some longer.

My husband has 4 kids in college. They finally got approved and will be here by the end of this year. It has taken five years. 2 of them have kids 3,2, and 1. They will be staying with relatives for at least five years. There is no other choice.

When you are living in poverty, it really isn't a choice, you just do what you have to do.
Thanks Cheetah, I am not educated in this..

michelle said:
Thanks Cheetah, I am not educated in this..

Lol, well I'm trying! Can you tell I'm passionate about this?? I hate these laws. I don't want terrorists, but I don't want kids seperated from parents either. It stinks :(

Actually, these laws were in place long before 9/11 or the threat of terrorism.

Cheetah said:
Lol, well I'm trying! Can you tell I'm passionate about this?? I hate these laws. I don't want terrorists, but I don't want kids seperated from parents either. It stinks :(

Actually, these laws were in place long before 9/11 or the threat of terrorism.
It is really sad. Whats the big deal anyway. I say let him stay, he isnt hurting anything.

How appalling!! We as a country give kids back to crack *advertiser censored* on welfare yet, at the same time we send children away from mothers who are working hard to support them????

Amraann said:
How appalling!! We as a country give kids back to crack *advertiser censored* on welfare yet, at the same time we send children away from mothers who are working hard to support them????

Tell me about it!! It's craaaaaaazy.

Amraann said:
I know its insane!!!:banghead:

Cheetah said:

Amazing how with everyone starving back home, there's still a bunch of people there who want to come here... wouldn't you think they'd all be dead of starvation?

There's nothing so special about this bit of earth we live on in the USA as to be the only survivable place. And most countries are fine to live in - not as nice as here, definite hardship - just like America in it's early days - but not that horrible. But the people there make the country what it is.

If need were the basis - El Salvadorians don't even come up to the top 10 countries whose people need to get out of there to survive - not close. We'd need to look somewhere where the skin color is much, much darker, and people do really starve all the time.

If we let in everyone in worse conditions than us, there would be no square foot of land unoccupied in the USA, and we would instantly become an impoverished place everyone wanted to leave. And all the countries we took people from would also collapse. There must be some limits, and a significant amount of self interest in how many people are allowed to immigrate and how.

The kid, and his mother, may be a situation where the laws need to be changed, but we need to be careful with that - I don't agree with the current situation where one legal immigrant can bring in tons more people however distantly related, without the qualification process the original legal immigrant went through. Perhaps immigrants need to apply as families rather than as individuals.

Interesting - the program the mother came over on was originally meant to be temporary - send her back home after 18 months. It just keeps being extended.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back