OK - Dwan Wood for child endangerment, Enid, 2006

SewingDeb

"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
Reaction score
http://www.enidnews.com/localnews/local_story_263005222.html

An Enid mother is free on $5,000 bond after being charged with leaving her six children home alone Saturday in squalid conditions and failing to provide food and supervision, the charges allege.

Dwan Jean Wood, 28, was charged in Garfield County District Court with a felony count of child neglect Tuesday. Wood appeared in court Monday, but charges had not yet been filed.

The crime is punishable by up to life in prison or up to a year in county jail, a fine of $500 to $5,000 or both.

Enid police went to 1017 W. Cherokee about 9:06 p.m. Saturday after dispatchers reported a 911 hang up call.

Officer Tim Doyle arrived and saw several lights on in the house but no one answered.

As Doyle was leaving, he saw a boy at a front window looking at him. The boy then went to the door and opened it.

Doyle asked the boy if his parents were home, and he said they were not and he did not know where they were, according to court documents. The boy also told said he was home with his 6-year-old brother, his 2-year-old twin brothers and another brother who is 8 months old.

The boy told police he was left in charge of his siblings and he was 8 years old.

Doyle noted toys, clothes and trash, including dirty diapers, were all over the living room, according to the affidavit. Doyle spoke with the 6-year-old who showed police a crib where the infant was sleeping and a room with a closed door where the twin boys were.

Doyle saw the doors were tied together with a cable, and the 6-year-old said his mother locks them in there because “they were always getting into things and messing things up,” according to the affidavit. The boy also said Wood only lets the twins out of the room when she feeds them.

More at link, keep reading...it gets worse.

SewingDeb said:
http://www.enidnews.com/localnews/local_story_263005222.html

An Enid mother is free on $5,000 bond after being charged with leaving her six children home alone Saturday in squalid conditions and failing to provide food and supervision, the charges allege.

Dwan Jean Wood, 28, was charged in Garfield County District Court with a felony count of child neglect Tuesday. Wood appeared in court Monday, but charges had not yet been filed.

The crime is punishable by up to life in prison or up to a year in county jail, a fine of $500 to $5,000 or both.

Enid police went to 1017 W. Cherokee about 9:06 p.m. Saturday after dispatchers reported a 911 hang up call.

Officer Tim Doyle arrived and saw several lights on in the house but no one answered.

As Doyle was leaving, he saw a boy at a front window looking at him. The boy then went to the door and opened it.

Doyle asked the boy if his parents were home, and he said they were not and he did not know where they were, according to court documents. The boy also told said he was home with his 6-year-old brother, his 2-year-old twin brothers and another brother who is 8 months old.

The boy told police he was left in charge of his siblings and he was 8 years old.

Doyle noted toys, clothes and trash, including dirty diapers, were all over the living room, according to the affidavit. Doyle spoke with the 6-year-old who showed police a crib where the infant was sleeping and a room with a closed door where the twin boys were.

Doyle saw the doors were tied together with a cable, and the 6-year-old said his mother locks them in there because “they were always getting into things and messing things up,” according to the affidavit. The boy also said Wood only lets the twins out of the room when she feeds them.

More at link, keep reading...it gets worse.
And the 10 YO felt like it was all her fault:banghead: This woman should be mandatorilly sterilized and her children taken from her permanently. She didn't even have a contact number for anybody to call for emergencies. Yep, she is gonna win the mother of the yeat award...Freakin NOT:mad:

You are right....The more you read, the worse it gets.

Where were the aunts if they knew the "mom" was out of town? Did they actually think the 10 year old daughter was capable of caring for herself and the other children?
DHS has been called several times, but nothing has been done?

And who feels the most guilt? An innocent 10 year old little girl.
How incredibly sad.

This so-called "mom" makes me ill.

"Kaycie Felix, with DHS, told police child welfare had dealt with this family on several occasions and there was a history of neglect, according to court documents."
THEN WHY WERE THE CHILDREN STILL LIVING WITH THE SO CALLED MOTHER? IS DHS RUN BY A BUNCH OF MONKEYS. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM? I WANT TO BEAT THE MOTHER AND THEN WHOEVER LEFT THESE KIDS WITH HER AFTER THE HISTORY OR NEGLECT THAT DHS FOUND.

This is heartbreaking. Of course the 10-year-old feels like this is her fault. She has probably been expected to function as an adult for most of her short life.

I would be overwhelmed if I had six children to take care of by myself. I have an active involved partner and I still sometimes feel overwhelmed with just two!

With all of the birth control options available today, I do not understand her decision to keep having children.

I have no faith in DHS. They are completely overworked and underpaid and their job is one of the most depressing I can possible imagine. They are not able to function as a viable safeguard against child abuse and neglect. I wish it were different, but it's not.

Love and peace to these children.

I have 7 and never, ever got to that point. First there has to be the need to want the kids, not just the act that gets them.

That poor little girl. No one should feel that kind of pressure at her age. She should be playing and being a child herself.

I hope they find great homes for those kids and that the egg donor finds help in jail.

I am confused about the punishment here....

"The crime is punishable by up to life in prison or up to a year in county jail, a fine of $500 to $5,000 or both."

UP to life or up to a year???
That makes no sense to me. Unless the paper just wasn't clear yet on what the exact charges will be?

Personally I think the appropriate punishment would be she is sterilized.
I wonder how come it is the sex offenders can be chemically castrated if they request it as part of a plea deal but lousy parents never go that route?

bakerprune64 said:
And the 10 YO felt like it was all her fault:banghead: This woman should be mandatorilly sterilized and her children taken from her permanently. She didn't even have a contact number for anybody to call for emergencies. Yep, she is gonna win the mother of the yeat award...Freakin NOT:mad:

My heart goes out to the 10 year old. I think she has been given responsibilities far beyond her years and, without counselling, may feel guilty for the rest of her life because the children were removed from the home.

I'm all for sterilizing this so-called "mother".

2sisters said:
"Kaycie Felix, with DHS, told police child welfare had dealt with this family on several occasions and there was a history of neglect, according to court documents."
THEN WHY WERE THE CHILDREN STILL LIVING WITH THE SO CALLED MOTHER? IS DHS RUN BY A BUNCH OF MONKEYS. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM? I WANT TO BEAT THE MOTHER AND THEN WHOEVER LEFT THESE KIDS WITH HER AFTER THE HISTORY OR NEGLECT THAT DHS FOUND.

That's what burns me up in these cases. DHS already knew how they were living and allowed it to continue!

mfmangel1 said:
You are right....The more you read, the worse it gets.

Where were the aunts if they knew the "mom" was out of town? Did they actually think the 10 year old daughter was capable of caring for herself and the other children?
DHS has been called several times, but nothing has been done?

And who feels the most guilt? An innocent 10 year old little girl.
How incredibly sad.

This so-called "mom" makes me ill.

The aunt claims she didn't know the children were alone. What do you want to bet that the mother regularly left the children home with the 10 year old in charge?

BhamMama said:
I have 7 and never, ever got to that point. First there has to be the need to want the kids, not just the act that gets them.

That poor little girl. No one should feel that kind of pressure at her age. She should be playing and being a child herself.

I hope they find great homes for those kids and that the egg donor finds help in jail.

I can relate to the 10 year old. I was the oldest daughter in a family of 6 children and I was responsible for the younger ones from the time I was little. I remember giving them their baths and saying their prayers with them when I was only 6. Even so, our house never got to that point....I guess because my mother was cleaning and washing while I tended to the little ones. She didn't go off and leave us alone like this...she was still in the house.

SewingDeb said:
I can relate to the 10 year old. I was the oldest daughter in a family of 6 children and I was responsible for the younger ones from the time I was little. I remember giving them their baths and saying their prayers with them when I was only 6. Even so, our house never got to that point....I guess because my mother was cleaning and washing while I tended to the little ones. She didn't go off and leave us alone like this...she was still in the house.
I see nothing wrong with older children helping out while mom is cleaning or cooking dinner.
Its what families do ... Everyone contributes to make the house hold run smoothly.
I have had my oldest (now 17) help her younger brother (10) with HW while I make dinner.

Leaving them alone is something entirley different.

Amraann said:
I see nothing wrong with older children helping out while mom is cleaning or cooking dinner.
Its what families do ... Everyone contributes to make the house hold run smoothly.
I have had my oldest (now 17) help her younger brother (10) with HW while I make dinner.

Leaving them alone is something entirley different.

You're exactly right. Huge difference. Locking the 2 year olds in their room and only letting them out to be fed is a crime all by itself, imo. It sounds like their mother is a very selfish woman.

I wonder if she works or if she is receiving welfare and food stamps for all of these children.

SewingDeb said:
You're exactly right. Huge difference. Locking the 2 year olds in their room and only letting them out to be fed is a crime all by itself, imo. It sounds like their mother is a very selfish woman.

I wonder if she works or if she is receiving welfare and food stamps for all of these children.
There is little doubt IMO that she was on welfare. And I will venture to guess that not all the children have the same father so maybe she is recieving child support as well?
I hope that at least a couple of them have decent fathers that will take them in and provide a decent home.

I hope they throw the book at this women and nail her with any charge they can.
Off the top of my head I can think of several.
Child endangerment and neglect. False inprisonment.
I hope they can come up with about 10 more.
I bet those poor little twins will be delayed due to this treatment.
"They got into things???" I really wish someone would say to her... "Well DUH you dumb B!@@$@ that is what two yo's do! "
Maybe she should have thought of that before spreading her legs??

Amraann said:
There is little doubt IMO that she was on welfare. And I will venture to guess that not all the children have the same father so maybe she is recieving child support as well?
I hope that at least a couple of them have decent fathers that will take them in and provide a decent home.

I hope they throw the book at this women and nail her with any charge they can.
Off the top of my head I can think of several.
Child endangerment and neglect. False inprisonment.
I hope they can come up with about 10 more.
I bet those poor little twins will be delayed due to this treatment.
"They got into things???" I really wish someone would say to her... "Well DUH you dumb B!@@$@ that is what two yo's do! "
Maybe she should have thought of that before spreading her legs??
To some welfare particpants (the ones who make a living at it) spreading their legs equates to more $$$. Here in California, there is a maximum family grant (MFG), meaning that after so many kids...no more $$$. No more cash aid for those kids. If theY come on aid with a kid and then have a baby that baby and the origianl kid get aid, but the next one after that is a MFG baby and get no assistance (except food stamps and medi-care.)

2sisters said:

I tried to call Child Protective Services to report neglect by a neighbor of her 3 year old daughter and was told they were too busy to take anymore complaints! They told me to call the police. I couldn't do this and remain annonymous so I complained to the manager of the appt. She was eventually evicted, but I don't think she was ever checked out because CPS was just too busy to be bothered.

Elberethe said:
I tried to call Child Protective Services to report neglect by a neighbor of her 3 year old daughter and was told they were too busy to take anymore complaints! They told me to call the police. I couldn't do this and remain annonymous so I complained to the manager of the appt. She was eventually evicted, but I don't think she was ever checked out because CPS was just too busy to be bothered.
OMG!! Where was this? Here, they have to take the complaint and respond to all Emergency response cases within a specific time frame. I want to say 10 days (but again, I could be wrong;) ). Mind you , I work within the same CPS agency, and I had a similar instance with a neighbor.There was a child in the home that just appeared out of no where one day, and they told me she was adopted. I scoped out all the missing child websites, bc I was just sure that she had been abducted, she didn't know her last name, where she was from....you can kind of see where I'm going with this, and she was about 8 YO. The kid had some serious issues and made me very uncomfortable when she was playing with my girls (under my close supervision) I had personally spoken to a CPS supervisor on how to approach the situation, and filed a complaint on the ER hotline. The SW was never ablet o make contact with these people. One day I had my house all closed up and the AC on and I could literally hear that child being beaten...through my closed windows. I was mortified. I called the police and then the CPS hotline to let them know that I had reported to the police. The officer came out there and took a report and talked to the child. The parents told him that she hurts herself...blah, blah, blah and left it at that. Mysteriously a few days later the child vanished, and I never saw her again. I told the SW that I thought something bad had happened to her. The parents told the SW that the child had been sent to live in Texas, and they relinquished custody to the state. When they moved out, me and a neighbor dug up that whole back yard to see if they burried her somewhere. Thank God we didn't find anything. But to this day I still don't know what happened to that poor kid.

On 4/17/2008, Dwan Jean Wood was sentenced to 5 years probation and an unstated amount of community service.

belinda i really love the updates.......but can we get some where the criminal actually gets punished? :(

That would be nice wouldn't it? These crappy sentences are making my blood pressure go up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back