Student tipster comes forward

Elberethe

Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is permanent.
Reaction score
http://www.wrn.com/gestalt/go.cfm?o...-4132-B890A1683C8D9B17&dbtranslator=local.cfm

Parents who attended a session at Green Bay's East High School seemed glad to be there talking about safety issues rather than attending student funerals. That could have been the case if an alleged Columbine-like plot had not been uncovered.

They can thank student Matt Atkinson who heard about the plot. He decided to tell authorities even though he didn't know how serious the plotters were. Atkinson says he didn't do it for fame but was seriously concerned about the safety of fellow students and staff at his high school.

Brown County District Attorney John Zakowski says no charges will be filed against the parents of the two 17-year olds now in custody even though guns, ammo and bombs were found in their homes. Zakowski says the parents had no idea what their children were planning.

(more at link)

It upset me that a female friend of the culprits had heard them discuss this sort of thing "on several ocaisions" yet said nothing. It might be one thing for someone to make a one time passing remark (though still not appropriate in this day & age) but to have repeated discussion which were intricate detailed planning, she should have said SOMETHING TO SOMEONE. Had they carried out their act, anyone who heard extended conversation about the plot would have to carry a huge slice of guilt as well. Especially if it comes from someone who is something of an "outsider" or unhappy person. I know if someone turned in a report about someone who ultimately was innocent, the parents of the suspected person would be furious, but I'd rather teach my kids to report stuff then just blandly assume it's a big joke.

3 teens charged in Wis. school bomb plot

http://www.newsone.ca/piercelandherald/ViewArticle.aspx?id=8868&source=2

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Despairing their failures with girls, two high school seniors agreed to put a Columbine-style end to their lives, according to a criminal complaint. William Cornell and Shawn Sturtz, both 17, planned the attack on East High School for two years and amassed a small arsenal of guns and bombs, investigators said. They were joined by recent graduate Bradley Netwal, 18, police said.

Sturtz told Atkinson he had a "bunch of rage" because a girl from California he‘d been talking to over the Internet had dumped him the night before. Sturtz said he even laid down in the road for a few minutes, hoping someone would run him over.

"Well, what do you mean, like Columbine?" Atkinson asked him.

"Well, yeah, exactly," Sturtz replied.

"I am so sorry I have to go," said a note to the student that police found in Cornell‘s room. "Maybe I will find someone in next life. Sometimes I think that I must have done something wrong and God is punishing me ... Don‘t be sad when I‘m gone."

Where are these kids getting this stuff and how do adults NOT know? Guess I'm gonna have to start checking my son's backpack because there sure isn't anywhere in the house he could hide bombs and rifles! /sarcasm off

Seriously, I want to know why some adults aren't being dragged to the carpet in these cases.

Elberethe said:
Seriously, I want to know why some adults aren't being dragged to the carpet in these cases.
I completely agree.

First of all, the teen who exposed the creeps and their plans needs to be commended!!! I mean, I know it's what a good person should do, but I really think they need to make an example out of this guy and go out of their way to thank him. Maybe give him some award, notoriety, whatever....anything because it just might be the thing that makes the next teen expose the next plot. Honestly, if I was a parent with a kid at that school, you better believe I would be thanking him personally & in a big way.

Secondly, WTF!!!!! How in the WORLD are these parents not being charged with anything!!! Guns, ammo & bombs were found in their home, but no charges are going to be filed? I don't agree with that AT ALL. These parents need to be made examples of also, and they should not get off scott free! This just reiterates to parents of teens like this that it's okay to "turn a blind eye" to what their kid is doing! Maybe if they were held accountable, more parents would pay attention to their kids and what they're doing!! *&%^$@ grrrr. This is ridiculous.

THANK YOU TO MATT ATKINSON FOR STEPPING UP TO THE PLATE AND SHOWING WHAT COURAGE IS ALL ABOUT!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back